Chime In: Kerma Springs? Bilstein TC struts? OE? Advice needed for grandpa driver

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
I’m in the process of doing this for my 03 still on original suspension. Can’t wait. Was considering the STR.T or the Sachs. This one’s stock everything else but i decided on Konis based on what everyone’s been saying. I assume we need to replace strut and shock mounts too so just going to get the whole kit lol. Love this community!!!

MrFahrenheit99

TDI
2003 Golf TDI 5 speed
Definitely replace strut mounts. My old rubber was crushed and compressed. It was over an inch shorter than the new rubber mounts. I got all my parts from ID Parts and they sell complete kits with all the extra hardware. I think you still need to add the strut perches and top nuts.

I also went to O'Reilley Auto and borrowed their spring compressor kit which worked fine for me. The front install took me almost two days with the help of a buddy. The rear took me 20 minutes by myself haha

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'm a big fan of Konis on MKIV TDIs. They will soften up a bit, and the nose will come down a bit, too. You probably were riding on the bump stops a lot of the time with the old setup, which isn't very comfortable.

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
Just go with the OE type Sachs struts/shocks (your car may have had Monroe rear shocks from the factory) if you want to maintain the stock ride. If your car has not been subjected to any road salt, you could probably reuse your existing springs if you want, but I would get new upper strut mounts and bearings (again, Sachs/Boge is the OEM for that stuff).

Must of my dubs have Billy suspension, but they are a bit stiffer. The TCs are the softest and are still stiffer than stock, the HDs are stiffer yet. I also have a recently purchased Golf that has the Monroes (the blue ones, which I think are the higher level ones?) on it already, and they are so far acceptable. I also just got a Jetta that has those horrid assemblies on them (these ones are the 'McPhereson' brand) and are OK but I don't expect them to hold up for all that long and would certainly never ever recommend them.
so if it were your personal car and it was bone stock, and you just wanted a nice ride and longevity, would there be any reason to get strs or actives or basically anything other than sachs? Am I wrong that the advantages/improvements of konis or Billys would be lost on just a daily?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I have Koni Reds (old school hydraulic, not Special Actives) on my Wagon, and OE Sachs on my '99.5 Golf. I actually like both. I can tell that the ride is a bit softer on the Golf, and it tends to have more body roll in corners. But the Golf is lighter than the Wagon, which helps. I do remember that the Wagon got pretty floaty on the stock dampers by about 50K miles.

I wouldn't hesitate to go with the Sachs. Just know you may not get as many miles out of them as you would with Konis.

MrFahrenheit99

TDI
2003 Golf TDI 5 speed
Second update: I'm legitimately concerned with how low my rear end sits. It's easily an inch lower than my old original springs and you can visually see a huge difference between front and rear. The front has settled nicely and has good clearance but the rear sits with two fingers between the wheel well and the tire. I'm worried that when I load my car up with camping equipment and my hitch mounted bike rack it could cause issues.

Does this sound normal? Should I just spend the $60 on Moog springs to lift the rear?

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
I had 400lbs of play sand in the back of it a few weeks ago and it was sag city. Our PA roads suck to no end, amd I'm 90% sure the suspension is just shot to begin with. It sits lower then another stock mk4 and drives like a marshmallow. With the sand in the back I barely had an inch above the rear tires. It took it fairly well... should have ran home for the truck, but it's a long round trip back to town. Whenever I get around to it, I'm getting the vr6 front springs and wagon rear springs for it. Definatly needs a bit of a lift and some heavier springs if your going to put any amount of weight in it.

MrFahrenheit99

TDI
2003 Golf TDI 5 speed
I had 400lbs of play sand in the back of it a few weeks ago and it was sag city. Our PA roads suck to no end, amd I'm 90% sure the suspension is just shot to begin with. It sits lower then another stock mk4 and drives like a marshmallow. With the sand in the back I barely had an inch above the rear tires. It took it fairly well... should have ran home for the truck, but it's a long round trip back to town. Whenever I get around to it, I'm getting the vr6 front springs and wagon rear springs for it. Definatly needs a bit of a lift and some heavier springs if your going to put any amount of weight in it.
I hear the VR6 springs are dump truck stiff. I'm super happy with my front end on the OEM springs. Ride height is greatly improved and have plenty of clearance. I thought my rear was sagging on my old springs but these are worse. I might swap the rear springs since it only takes 15 minutes.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I recently went with the "Beef on a Budget" suspension and all the extra bits, bolts, etc.
I have the Orange Koni's, and every time there is a crack in the road, I hear it; the thump, thump, going down the freeway, is really annoying. Do the Koni Reds do the same thing? It would be a lot of money, but I would enjoy the quiet, or am I missing something?

MrFahrenheit99

TDI
2003 Golf TDI 5 speed
I recently went with the "Beef on a Budget" suspension and all the extra bits, bolts, etc.
I have the Orange Koni's, and every time there is a crack in the road, I hear it; the thump, thump, going down the freeway, is really annoying. Do the Koni Reds do the same thing? It would be a lot of money, but I would enjoy the quiet, or am I missing something?
I really like the reds! On the small cracks and imperfections, they do really well. I barely notice them. On moderate bumps or holes, i hear them more than i feel them. On the larger stuff it's a bit stiff but that's only on really bad roads.

I do also have new lower control arms with the Audi TT bushings which are stiffer also so it's more difficult for me to isolate where the stiffness comes from, but overall I'm very happy with the setup.

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
I hear the VR6 springs are dump truck stiff. I'm super happy with my front end on the OEM springs. Ride height is greatly improved and have plenty of clearance. I thought my rear was sagging on my old springs but these are worse. I might swap the rear springs since it only takes 15 minutes.
I'll be finding out, lol. My 01 sits very low. I doubt I'll mind the ride, inlett you would replace the springs with solid spacers it not going to ride worse then any of my trucks.

Mk4Play

TDI
2000 ALH Golf
I have no experience with Kerma springs, so I can’t comment.

Just make sure you get the suspension that meets your goals for the car. Many different ways to go. You state you drive like a grandpa most of the time, so my guess/assumption is that a stock set up would suit you best. The new strut mounts will probably restore an inch or so of ground clearance in the front.

If you’d like to enjoy some spirited driving on the twisties occasionally, you could add a rear sway bar and/or go with something like Koni Yellows (on full soft) and Nuespeed SofSport springs, which would not be punishing in daily driving.
I have been curious about adding the rear sway bar . Is it worth it in your opinion? I have read elsewhere that unless doing track driving the benefits aren't noticeable...I have been known to attack the backroads from time to time . Responsibly of course, a few familiar turns with a clear line of sight

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
RSB does make a marked difference on the street, especially in the scenario you describe.

The car exhibits less understeer, so you feel it turn more sharply. Side-to-side weight transfer is quicker as well, making it feel more planted.

The RSB also transfers weight to the inner front wheel in a turn, increasing motive traction.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
RSB makes a huge difference. I had a Shine bar in my Wagon from 2004 until about a year ago, when it finally broke. Turn in is way better with the bar, less body roll, car rotates much easier. However, it can be a handful in slippery conditions if it's a stiff bar. I've spun my car more than once in the snow.

rwthomas1

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta
Had TC's for 70K, they sucked. Had FSD's for 100K, they rocked. Now have Special Actives (FSD's) with Moog all around (VR6 fronts), TT bushing and fresh everything else. At 338K car handles like a dream on 235/45/17's. Perfect. Well, now you make me want to try a rear bar....

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
I really like the reds! On the small cracks and imperfections, they do really well. I barely notice them. On moderate bumps or holes, i hear them more than i feel them. On the larger stuff it's a bit stiff but that's only on really bad roads.

I do also have new lower control arms with the Audi TT bushings which are stiffer also so it's more difficult for me to isolate where the stiffness comes from, but overall I'm very happy with the setup.
Hmmmm since you have gone this far .... go a little more and get a rear anti sway bar and an aluminum skid plate ... both will help with handling / feel.

Andrew