Chime in if you think the new Passat is a snoozer.....

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
I posted this in the general VW discussion but I think VW blew it with the new Passat....Many people buy cars on looks first ...features and performance and economy second...I am not criticizing anyone who bought it as after all it is the only Mid size diesel out there but the whole look IMHO is tepid, boring and uninspired....I hear they drive nice though!
Just wondering what you all thought....

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
In other words it doesn't look like this:
yeah really!!.....if only.....lol....I did NOT post in the Passat section cause of the -ve reaction so i thought the thead would quietly grow and get more input from the whole tdiclub community.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I got my first ride in one today, dealer shuttle from the metro station back to the dealer where my Golf was in for service. Seemed like a nice enough car. Conservative enough that it won't go out of style too quickly, boring enough to not set anyone on fire to get one. The car was a 2.5 automatic, high enough trim line to have nav and a sunroof.

Same cheapened door hinges as the new Jetta, but otherwise more upscale-feeling than the Jetta inside. Quiet enough, fairly firm ride. The lit analogue clock in the middle of the dash was a classy-looking touch. Nice big ergonomic controls, should appeal to the older folks like me who hate fiddling with the tiny incomprehensible buttons and dials on, oh, say a Ford Fusion.

The price is right, might consider a base model 2.5 to replace the B5.5 when the time comes, as my wife doesn't really need a diesel for her 12 km commute, the 2.5 should be plenty. Saw lots of them on the dealer lot. But then for her a Jetta 2.slow with air, cruise and sunroof would probably suffice. Slower than molasses in January but bullet-proof engine.

It might be a snoozer but it's a heck of a lot better looking, IMHO, than either a Camry or Accord, but then I've always liked conservatively-styled cars.

Last edited:

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
I got to drive a new Passat TDI with the premium interior last week while I waited for my 50k service at the dealership. I must say, I was impressed with the car. Very nice ride in all aspects. From what I'm reading on posts by the people who own them, the fuel economy is great, as well.

Last edited:

Grievous Angel

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (traded after Diesel-Gate)
IConservative enough that it won't go out of style too quickly
And there you have it. Which is why the Jettas from say around 2004 still look so good to me. In fact, I believe that was the high point. To that point, they'd always been conservative, proportionally build sedans, and so I think Jettas hold their look terrifically. I think they lost their way with the previous gen, before mine. It looks fine, just a little out of character for VW, and veering too close to corolla land. I don't think that car will look as good 10 years from now as the one that preceded it.

The 2011/12 is a reurn to form IMO.

If you have the prior gen, no offense. I would have bought that one too in a heartbeat. It's handsome in its own right, it's just the least "jetta" looking to me.

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
Funny thing, I was cleaning my new Passat this past weekend, and being close to the car seeing the lines, curves, etc, I saw exactly what the designers/artists were trying to create, it really is beautiful when viewed in person at close range. Now, as you back away it seems to lose something the further away you get, it's almost like all of the angles and curves needed a bit more to them, like the 2013 CC. I am very satisfied with the car, it is lovely to me, but I understand the boring comments. Now, to help you overlook the less than inspired look...THE MPG...Whoa, I'm getting 45+ on mixed driving, second tank almost gone and my average on this one is 46.6 mpg....you can get 50+ mpg on the highway with 60-65mph and a little care....She sure looks beautiful to me:D

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW, 2012 Passat TDI SE
I ordered the Passat. You cannot get the TDI engine in the new beetle yet. I would have been severely tempted to go for one of those. :D

When you make a list of cars that get 40mpg+ and GO when you step on the accelerator, the field gets mighty small.

Stop complaining and enjoy the ride.

Sharky

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI manual, 2012 Passat TDI manual
I posted this in the general VW discussion but I think VW blew it with the new Passat....Many people buy cars on looks first ...features and performance and economy second...I am not criticizing anyone who bought it as after all it is the only Mid size diesel out there but the whole look IMHO is tepid, boring and uninspired....I hear they drive nice though!
Just wondering what you all thought....
I actually bought it (ordered actually as it has not arrived yet) on looks ....... I dont like the looks of new hyundai's and kia's but that just me.

I really needed the interior space as well.

tryin

TDI
2012 Passat 6MT
I'll agree, in pictures it kinda looks bland and pretty much like an oversized Jetta. In person though, I think it is pretty nice. I think the SEL actually looks pretty stylish, with an exception of the front grill and big VW on it. I have the SE, so it is a little bland, I don't really care though. As the weeks roll by, I like it more and more.

But as you stated, the looks wasn't the driving force behind my purchase, what it does and how it does it, was. It's a really nice car and I'm proud of it!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
What VW is really good looking? The Scirocco, perhaps, but most VWs are pretty reserved in appearance. I think that's why they wear well. In 10 years a Passat is going to look a lot better than a Sonata, IMO.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
What VW is really good looking? The Scirocco, perhaps, but most VWs are pretty reserved in appearance. I think that's why they wear well. In 10 years a Passat is going to look a lot better than a Sonata, IMO.
Unless Hyundai has fixed its rust issues, in 10 years a Sonata will be rust dust! Out Passat is 7 with 227k km and yes it has rust but with the 12 yr rust warranty VW is fixing it on their dime. Sonata has 5-yr rust warranty.

Trbogolf

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Sportwagen
In 10 years a Passat is going to look a lot better than a Sonata, IMO.
I think that statement should be revised to "in 10 minutes". The Sonata is just plain ugly. I'd take the Kia Optima before the Hyundai.
As for the Passat, I'm still on the fence. But to be honest I haven't had a chance to really look at one yet. Saw one from a distance but didn't have time to get up close and personal.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Well it may come off as a "snoozer" but it is the most comfortable and fuel efficient snoozer I have driven. The styling was not appealing to me at first but I have had it now for a few weeks and it has grown on me immensely. The positives (Fuel economy, comfort, features, did I say fuel economy?) very much outweigh any negatives...

poppytdi

TDI
2010 Jetta DSG , 2012 Passat SE DSG,1996 Dodge 3500,2005 GMC envoy XL
From the driver seat 2010 Passat is a winner.
Traded my 2010 Jetta TDI 6 MT 65,000 miles on 2012 Passat SE TDI DSG 6 weeks ago. Missed the shifting for only a short time. I'm impressed with the DSG gearbox. Fuel mileage avaerage by gallons put in the tank 46.7 over 6445 miles.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
could they not have made it just " al little sexier"....just a little?? where is the uuuumph?

StevesVW

TDI
I find the B7 to be a very elegant and timeless design which will age gracefully and look good years from now. That I consider sexy both in a car and a woman!:)

TDICT

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW...SOLD..2012 Passat TDI SEL Black on Black...Now Here
could they not have made it just " al little sexier"....just a little?? where is the uuuumph?
What if it looked like a Volvo S60, would that make you excited!
The new VW cars are seem to be taking their styling from their big brothers at Audi. Clean, smooth conservative stylingthat will age much better that the crop of "Art Deco" cars from Kia, Hyundai and Volvo. These cars look like the clay models melted in the sun and the engineers thought thats the way they were designed and built them that way.

The new CC is a knock out but still retains the family look. Can't get all the interior space in the sleek styling of the new CC. The new Passat and Jetta are great looking cars that will look new for years to come.
If you don't like the look of the Passat than vote with your $$$$ and buy something else

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
What if it looked like a Volvo S60, would that make you excited!
The new VW cars are seem to be taking their styling from their big brothers at Audi. Clean, smooth conservative stylingthat will age much better that the crop of "Art Deco" cars from Kia, Hyundai and Volvo. These cars look like the clay models melted in the sun and the engineers thought thats the way they were designed and built them that way.

The new CC is a knock out but still retains the family look. Can't get all the interior space in the sleek styling of the new CC. The new Passat and Jetta are great looking cars that will look new for years to come.
If you don't like the look of the Passat than vote with your $$$$ and buy something else
not comparing to my new S60...I know VW is conservative but I think and this is the point of this thread that they would have been further ahead by pushing the design enveloppe harder with the new look from a Billion dollar factory....the risk to me...is that it does not age well and in the second year they have to incentivize it like crazy....to sellit. diesel heads like me will likely not care as much but they are TRYING to steal sales from others and the new crop of sedans are IMHO just plainly more attractive. I do like that it seems that the mileage is better than in my Golf ! and in canada... we are lucky to be able to order a loaded 6 speed (leather nav, roof, all the goodies) with sport package (35K though!) pretty heady territory....

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I agree with conservative styling. My favourite, the E39 5-series BMW, is still a gorgeous car some 15 years since introduction, much better than any Banglerized BMW. Even the E34 is still pretty good looking, nearly a quarter century later.

mlindner

TDI
2002 Jetta
We've had our new Passat now a month. love it. does have the DSG trans, that's is really neat. City 25% and hwy 75% driving we're averaging 46 mpg. I think it a great car for
$27,000. Also have a 2000 Jetta TDI and a 98 Porsche 993 Carrera S. I like driving the
Passate the best......

AstroEng

TDI
2012 Passat TDI, 2005 Golf TDI (Sold)
I find the B7 to be a very elegant and timeless design which will age gracefully and look good years from now. That I consider sexy both in a car and a woman!:)
Double-Plus 1 :p

I think it looks classy. Though I agree that the CC is a bit sexier. Have you seen a Camry or Fusion (the major comparison when looking at hybrids)? Hyundai may look pretty but as a good friend used to say (wrt women) "The higher the heel, the higher the maintenance". Flashy may draw some eyes, but there are those of use who want the whole picture.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
Rusty 7 year old Passat

Unless Hyundai has fixed its rust issues, in 10 years a Sonata will be rust dust! Out Passat is 7 with 227k km and yes it has rust but with the 12 yr rust warranty VW is fixing it on their dime. Sonata has 5-yr rust warranty.
Do you have complete perforation of a panel? Perforated panel in 7 years is surprising.

As to the styling of the 2012 Passat, I like it. Better to be simple and elegant than a memorable eyesore like a Ridgeline or Crosstour.

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
VW could have at least carpeted the entire driver's side floor.

A $30,000 car with exposed flooring? That's just bizarre, really.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Do you have complete perforation of a panel? Perforated panel in 7 years is surprising.

As to the styling of the 2012 Passat, I like it. Better to be simple and elegant than a memorable eyesore like a Ridgeline or Crosstour.
We have the usual issue people here are having with their B5.5 TDIs, rusting of the front fender arches due to rubbing of the foam sound insulation. In addition we have perforation of the trunk lid around the license plate lamp, and another panel (left rear fender) that is close to perforating.

It doesn't help that we live on a dirt road, the abrasiveness of the dirt tends to cause our cars to rust prematurely. Our '98 Odyssey was perforating in 2005 as well.

I agree with you on the looks of the Crosspuke. What were they thinking???