2012 Touareg
Wilmette Auto Service
1837 Wilmette ave
Wilmette
Clear D2 confirmed delivered there today

Citgo
Corner of Fabyian parkway and rt25
Batavia
Clear D2 confirmed although they run their tanks low. Not a good thing.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Feilo

TDI
2012 Golf Silver DSG
petrodude - thanks for the "inside info" ... I fill up mainly at the Meijer at Rolling Meadows and at the Joliet Sonic Delta when I can ...

Tom in chicago

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagon TDI
Food 4 Less

My wife drives the TDI, I am driving a Volt now (only 43 gallons for first 7000 miles - 160 miles per gallon!).

Still love my TDI for road trips. My wife always fills up at Food 4 Less in Evanston.

Thanks again for info!

petrodude

TDI
2012 Touareg
Noticed today, lot of cars come to citgo @ golf and Dee to fill up. Pumps are unmarked as bio-blends. They sell B-11. Don't believe your putting good quality fuel when its actually not. Owner did not mark the pump.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Strantran1

TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 5sp
Just my .02... I have a 300 gal tank that I used to use when I ran a small trucking company. I use Carrol Service FS from Lanark and they only use straight diesel in the winter months. You know bio is bad in the winter when the Farmer owned service won't run bio in their vehicles!
I have them fill my tank and have no worries in the winter with my 03 TDI.
Thanks Keith

lbgottlieb

TDI
None
Ernie's Shell in Vernon Hills sells only D2 pure diesel.....

Just thought I'd share some news in what looks to be a great but stalled thread.....

I just spoke via phone with a woman working at Ernie's Shell on Milwaukee Avenue in Vernon Hills, IL. Funny thing - I began with "I just wanted to ask someone a question about your diesel fuel." The woman says, "we only sell pure diesel. There has never been any biodiesel anywhere on our property and there never will be." Not knowing all the specifics about diesel, I asked if this meant what they sold was D2, and she confirmed it. She was a very nice person to speak with, though I got the feeling that she had been thru this conversation before.

aliti19

TDI
2014 VW Touareg TDI Executive
Just thought I'd share some news in what looks to be a great but stalled thread.....

I just spoke via phone with a woman working at Ernie's Shell on Milwaukee Avenue in Vernon Hills, IL. Funny thing - I began with "I just wanted to ask someone a question about your diesel fuel." The woman says, "we only sell pure diesel. There has never been any biodiesel anywhere on our property and there never will be." Not knowing all the specifics about diesel, I asked if this meant what they sold was D2, and she confirmed it. She was a very nice person to speak with, though I got the feeling that she had been thru this conversation before.
Good to know, thanks!

aliti19

TDI
This might help you guys. It's a gas station locator that differentiates between regular and premium diesel. Not sure how accurate it is, but it should help point us in the right direction.

http://www.gefleet.com/fuelpricemap/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aliti19

TDI
Confirmed D2 diesel spots in North/NW Chicago suburbs

Confirmed D2 diesel spots as of 12/2015 in North/NW Chicago suburbs:

1. Ernie's Shell
2. 909 S Milwaukee Ave, Vernon Hills, IL 60061
3. Premium Diesel No. 2
4. How Non-Bio Content Verified: Manager

1. Meijer - Rolling Meadows
2. 1301 Meijer Dr, Rolling Meadows, IL 60008
3. Premium Diesel No. 2
4. How Non-Bio Content Verified: Attendant

1. 7/11 - Park Ridge
2. 814 HIGGINS RD, Park Ridge, IL 60068-5718
3. Premium Diesel No. 2
4. How Non-Bio Content Verified: attendant

1. Fries Automotive (not openly labeled, but they do sell it there. They use their two pumps for trucks so you might need an adapter)
2. 81 Old Palatine Rd, Prospect Heights, IL 60090
3. Premium Diesel No. 2
4. How Non-Bio Content Verified: manager

Last edited:

aliti19

TDI
1. Mobil - Vernon Hills
2. 860 S Milwaukee Ave, Vernon Hills, IL 60061
3. <5% biodiesel

Although not D2, this should be enough for any BMW/Audi/Mercedes owners that need <5%.

Last edited:

aliti19

TDI
1. Shell - Des Plaines
2. 680 N Wolf Rd, Des Plaines, IL 60016
3. Premium Diesel #2
Verified yesterday, plus touch free car wash!

vwgtiglx

TDI
2014 2.0 TD Chevy Cruze
1. Marathon - 79th & Roberts Road, Justice, IL
2. Diesel #2 - No Bio-Diesel content
3. Confirmed by neon sign on road in front of station, price listed on sign

edved23

TDI
passat
I live by the 7/11 in Park Ridge. Those tanks are marked BIO.

Confirmed D2 diesel spots as of 12/2015 in North/NW Chicago suburbs:

1. Ernie's Shell
2. 909 S Milwaukee Ave, Vernon Hills, IL 60061
3. Premium Diesel No. 2
4. How Non-Bio Content Verified: Manager

1. Meijer - Rolling Meadows
2. 1301 Meijer Dr, Rolling Meadows, IL 60008
3. Premium Diesel No. 2

1. 7/11 - Park Ridge
2. 814 HIGGINS RD, Park Ridge, IL 60068-5718
3. Premium Diesel No. 2
4. How Non-Bio Content Verified: attendant

1. Fries Automotive (not openly labeled, but they do sell it there. They use their two pumps for trucks so you might need an adapter)
2. 81 Old Palatine Rd, Prospect Heights, IL 60090
3. Premium Diesel No. 2
4. How Non-Bio Content Verified: manager

bornloopy

TDI
2014 audi a6 3.0 TDI prestige
bump again...any confirmation of D2 locations other than Ernie's (just fueled there, definitely still D2)?

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi A6 -- 2008 Mercedes ML 320 CDI
Would like to revive this thread? Anyone paying attention to what kind of diesel they are getting?

Just had a tune completed and the shop said Meijer are the only locations with non-biodiesel. I plan to go to Bolingbrook, IL Meijer to check this out.

Otherwise I'm looking into Schaeffer Oil Diesel Treat vs Opti Lube additives to add when I fill up.

Btravelen

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 TDI Passat Variant
What are your concerns about biodiesel? I believe IL still subsidizes the use of up to 20% bio, but that doesn't mean every supplier uses it. My '05 Passat BHW has been using the standard issue bio blend for 167k miles with no fuel related problems.

I can tell by the color of the fuel/foam while pumping it. That doesn't help if you're trying to avoid it.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Color? I've never noticed a color change - everywhere I fill up in NJ, the fuel is blue to blue-green, with white foam. One of the stations I use has a sticker that claims (but I see no way to verify) a 5% bio blend, and doesn't look any different.

What colors are you seeing with different blends?

Btravelen

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 TDI Passat Variant
Yellow. Foam and fuel. I didn't notice for awhile after purchasing our '05 Passat TDI but traveling to states that don't encourage and use a biodiesel blend, the fuel and foam is bright and clear white. The concentration makes a difference.

Btravelen

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 TDI Passat Variant
BTW, I have a diesel truck so I pump a lot of diesel and travel with both. Do you object to biodiesel?

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
Was just at a Meijer and did not see any sticker noting that they were using Biodiesel. Only sticker was the low sulfur one we see everywhere. Does this mean the Meijer does not use Biodiesel?

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
Biodiesel blends in no way shape or form will damage your fuel pump, the fact is that a biodiesel blend has more lubricity than straight D2. There are other issues with biodiesel blends but the fuel pump is not one of them.
Fuel injectors....

I believe the consensus is above B5 is not recommended for these common rail engines. Obviously can't make the switch completely. Just have to stay on top of filters and oil changes.

But, the Shell station located off York Road and Ogden sells Premium Shell Diesel. No biodiesel at all. Moving forward I know I'll have the option just down the road from me. I'm still learning about what works best for this vehicle.

aliti19

TDI
Was just at a Meijer and did not see any sticker noting that they were using Biodiesel. Only sticker was the low sulfur one we see everywhere. Does this mean the Meijer does not use Biodiesel?

Yes, Meijer uses D2 non-biodiesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wiegand88n

TDI
2011 LD7X Jetta TDI
this will probably not help anyone up in chicago, but i live in So. Illinois and i fill up at zx , Loves( i dont frequently fillup) in Illinois or mobil in missouri because they carry ultra low sulfer diesel, that and i work in st. louis county. no i havent checked the rating..i only look ultra low sulfer diesel

Bavariandreamer

TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
Please help me create a resource list of Chicago-area service stations that supply No.2 non-biodiesel fuel. Use this thread to post the following info:

1. Station Name
2. Address
(city/state/zip) and/or Nearest Major Intersection
3. Type of Fuel
("Conventional" vs. "Premium" Diesel No. 2)
4. How Non-Bio Content Verified (Attendant, Manager, Distributor)

Before submitting, please examine the fuel pump to confirm that there are no disclosure labels indicating a biodiesel blend (usually blue or black stickers).

As background, the 2009 Jetta TDI owner's manual states,

"Diesel fuel with a higher concentration than ULSD-Diesel No. 2 ASTM D975 and Bio-diesel with a higher concentration than 5% like B11, B20 or B100 are strictly prohibited."

For owners who wish to comply with this specification, residents of Illinois are at an extreme hardship. Under SB 46, signed into law in 2003, biodiesel blends above 10% receive an exemption from state sales tax. For this reason, the vast majority of diesel pumps exceed VW's biodiesel requirement.

Once again, the purpose of this thread is to build a non-biodiesel service station resource list for Chicago-area 2009 TDI owners. (There are other forums for general discussion of biodiesel and experiences with such fuel on 2009 TDI cars.)

Any contributions appreciated!

Bringing this back alive, just picked up a 2013 Touareg TDI... Coming from a 955 Turbo and very much looking forward to the tripled mileage. What is the latest on the most pure Diesel fuel?

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
Bringing this back alive, just picked up a 2013 Touareg TDI... Coming from a 955 Turbo and very much looking forward to the tripled mileage. What is the latest on the most pure Diesel fuel?
Not likely in IL. Pretty much all diesel is around 11-15% bio-diesel, unless things have changed down there.