Chicago 2009 TDI Owners: Non-Biodiesel Support Group

Only1Z

TDI
2012 VW Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual
Thanks for the lead on that Mejer station. Theres a Mejer by my house in Algonquin, but im not sure they all use the same distributor. The Marathon you were talking about, just West of 53 is the most expensive station, PERIOD. Over this last winter, I debated on reporting them for price gouging to the department of transportation. I watch the news, crude prices, etc..... Whenever the prices drop in the area and gas stations start lowering their prices all around Chicagoland, this station remains .40, sometimes .60 cents higher than neighboring stations. They never reflect market prices and never fluctuate. Im not sure if its because the Cook County highway dept is next door and cook county buys from them regardless.... I don't know. Wouldn't buy fuel from them if they promised my car would turn into a diesel Delorian and teleport at 88mph. I commute from Alg, to Melrose park every day and I heard there's a Delta Sonic selling Citgo premium diesel, right in elmhurst on rt. 64. Gonna check that out next.
All the Delta Sonic stations sell Citgo Premium Diesel and it seems to be really good. It even compares favorably to Amoco Premier Diesel I've gotten in Michigan that is supposedly at least a 47 cetane rating. I used to do Meijer diesel and will in a pinch, but I get 1-2 mpg better with the Delta Sonic diesel.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
All the Delta Sonic stations sell Citgo Premium Diesel and it seems to be really good. It even compares favorably to Amoco Premier Diesel I've gotten in Michigan that is supposedly at least a 47 cetane rating. I used to do Meijer diesel and will in a pinch, but I get 1-2 mpg better with the Delta Sonic diesel.

Forget about Amoco Premier it's been off the market for quite a while now. Check BP's website and you will see it no longer exists.

Only1Z

TDI
Forget about Amoco Premier it's been off the market for quite a while now. Check BP's website and you will see it no longer exists.
Want to bet? Call the BP station on Phoenix Rd. in South Haven, MI. You will see that Amoco Premier still exists. It just doesn't exist in IL.

dieselinchicago1022

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Meijer is decent, try Mobil in Sout Barrington

The Meijer on Golf just a mile east of this Marathon has been very consistent with great D2, and lately has had the lowest prices in the area as well.
I used to fill up at that Meijer. They use Shaeffer additive I believe. It was decent, but my 2012 TDI did not respond too well to it. Especially in winter (now) cold starts were poor and I heard some knocking. It's ok but doesn't compare to the BP D2 I used to get on Milwaukee Ave in Palatine - but they went bio.

Anyways, I posted this already, but there is a Mobil in South Barrington on Barrington Rd as you exit south from I90. It has D2 diesel, no bio. Cost is $4/gallon. I just got it yesterday and love the way my car runs. This is a newly built station and it looks like the owners opted for quality over cheaper pricing. They even have a 100 octane fuel for petrols - I've never seen this in Illinois before - of course it runs at $8/gallon but still. Gives you the impression that these people value quality of gas vs Illinois tax incentives to push the bio junk.

Last edited:

Only1Z

TDI
I used to fill up at that Meijer. They use Shaeffer additive I believe. It was decent, but my 2012 TDI did not respond too well to it. Especially in winter (now) cold starts were poor and I heard some knocking. It's ok but doesn't compare to the BP D2 I used to get on Milwaukee Ave in Palatine - but they went bio.

Anyways, I posted this already, but there is a Mobil in South Barrington on Barrington Rd as you exit south from I90. It has D2 diesel, no bio. Cost is $4/gallon. I just got it yesterday and love the way my car runs. This is a newly built station and it looks like the owners opted for quality over cheaper pricing. They even have a 100 octane fuel for petrols - I've never seen this in Illinois before - of course it runs at $8/gallon but still. Gives you the impression that these people value quality of gas vs Illinois tax incentives to push the bio junk.
100 octane is available all over Chicagoland FYI.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
You didn't call, did you?

I spoke with E.H. Wolf & Sons the BP distributor in eastern WI and Amoco Premier is not available here anymore do you think I would drive all the way to MI to buy some? Enough antagonism ok?

Only1Z

TDI
I spoke with E.H. Wolf & Sons the BP distributor in eastern WI and Amoco Premier is not available here anymore do you think I would drive all the way to MI to buy some? Enough antagonism ok?
As I said, it's available. I didn't say to drive there. I said to call there. You replied to me as though I was wrong even though I put it into my car in September. Anyway, it's available in Michigan as I stated originally. If you don't think so, call the BP station on Phoenix Rd. in South Haven, MI. It's okay to be wrong. I'm not antagonizing you. I just wanted proper info to be out there and your info was incorrect.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
As I said, it's available. I didn't say to drive there. I said to call there. You replied to me as though I was wrong even though I put it into my car in September. Anyway, it's available in Michigan as I stated originally. If you don't think so, call the BP station on Phoenix Rd. in South Haven, MI. It's okay to be wrong. I'm not antagonizing you. I just wanted proper info to be out there and your info was incorrect.

Keep pushin' it eh? Right about now I could care less if your right or wrong. Go to Michigan and buy the fuel BP says they don't supply. How do you know the guy in the station isn't wrong and just telling you he has Amoco Premier? Did you see it delivered and read the receipt. Now I'm done with this topic. Calling the station means nothing.

Last edited:

Only1Z

TDI
Keep pushin' it eh? Right about now I could care less if your right or wrong. Go to Michigan and buy the fuel BP says they don't supply. How do you know the guy in the station isn't wrong and just telling you he has Amoco Premier? Did you see it delivered and read the receipt. Now I'm done with this topic. Calling the station means nothing.
There are two pumps next to each other. One has regular diesel for 10 cents less and Amoco Premier right next to it for 10 cents more. It's a logo on the pump...lol. It's available, dude.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
There are two pumps next to each other. One has regular diesel for 10 cents less and Amoco Premier right next to it for 10 cents more. It's a logo on the pump...lol. It's available, dude.

OK I have not been there so you must be right. Next time when I am in the area (maybe never) I will swing in and pay ten cents more to get 47 cetane fuel. Don't know what else to say. You wanted to be right and I guess you are. Does this make you feel better? You are right and I am wrong! Let it die as most of us don't care anyway.

VE1.9

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLX 5spd
Just wanted to make a request to update the list because this station no longer has No. 2 Diesel :(

BP
4701 S. Central, Chicago, IL 60638
708-924-1553
Submitted by: Jetta09Chicago on 12/8/09

...and the phone number for this one was incorrect

BP
3047 S. Halsted St., Chicago, IL 60608-5804
312-842-0118
Submitted by: PalosParked on 7/30/09

TDiSkater

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG Salsa Red
No one is updating the list. At this point there are so few D2 stations left that it's easier to just point out who isn't selling bio.

Most of those early members who fed the list are long inactive

ChiTownPilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI + Premium
For those who frequent NWI... I sent out an email to Family Express and got this in response:

Our diesel fuel does not contain a biodiesel blend. Our suppliers, if using a biodiesel blend use less than 5%, which by established regulations do not have to be reported and posted.

I trust this should answer your questions.

Thank you for contacting us.

PassatSE4me

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
I love the contradictory response. First their fuel doesn't contain bio, then they go on to say there may be 5%, passing the onus on to the supplier.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
For those who frequent NWI... I sent out an email to Family Express and got this in response:

Our diesel fuel does not contain a biodiesel blend. Our suppliers, if using a biodiesel blend use less than 5%, which by established regulations do not have to be reported and posted.

I trust this should answer your questions.

Thank you for contacting us.
Let me try to translate......

As far as we know, Our diesel fuel does not contain a biodiesel blend. Our suppliers, if using a biodiesel blend use less than 5%, which by established regulations do not have to be reported even to us and posted.

Does that help?

Bill

ChiTownPilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI + Premium
Yea I came to the same conclusion you did. But like I said, regardless of 0-5%, we know it's ok by owners manual/warranty standards.

KonaJack

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 VW Golf
Please explain why the bio would clog the DPF. This issue is and always has been oil dilution unless this is a new twist.
A couple of fleet operators (mostly Ford trucks) told me about their problems with bioblends in our area. One said he had to pull all his filters after only a couple tanks. I asked if he was talking about the fuel filters and he said no, it was the DPF's - and expensive to boot. I know it's not a problem attributed to CR engines (yet), but is good to be aware of. I get the feeling that the quality of bio blends around here is all over the map.

KonaJack

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 VW Golf

Just talked to the owner of this new Mobil station and he said it's almost always bio but is different every delivery. He has no idea at any point in time what % of bio is in the tank. This speaks to the completely lackadaisical manner that fuel quality is being treated with here. He seemed like a nice guy- I told him he needs to post bioblend stickers on his pumps (there aren't any) he said "yeah...I guess we do...but I have no idea what the guy is going to bring next time".

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
A couple of fleet operators (mostly Ford trucks) told me about their problems with bioblends in our area. One said he had to pull all his filters after only a couple tanks. I asked if he was talking about the fuel filters and he said no, it was the DPF's - and expensive to boot. I know it's not a problem attributed to CR engines (yet), but is good to be aware of. I get the feeling that the quality of bio blends around here is all over the map.
Did he explain why the bio blends were ashing up the dpfs on the fleet trucks to a point were they had to be removed and serviced? Bio should have less soot than D2 hence less ash to contend with. All this should comply with ASTM D6751 - 12, if not some hanky panky is goin' on and still even pure untransesterified oil or grease has less soot than D2.
The dpf is a soot filter or am I missing something.

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Just talked to the owner of this new Mobil station and he said it's almost always bio but is different every delivery. He has no idea at any point in time what % of bio is in the tank. This speaks to the completely lackadaisical manner that fuel quality is being treated with here. He seemed like a nice guy- I told him he needs to post bioblend stickers on his pumps (there aren't any) he said "yeah...I guess we do...but I have no idea what the guy is going to bring next time".
What he should know is that for the fuel to have the tax break in Illinois it has to be greater than 10% bio hence the most common blend is B11. Anything greater than that will probably cost more, as bio is usually more expensive than D2. His stickers should read Contains 11% bio or more as I doubt he is receiving anything less than that. Anything up to B20 has been approved by VW for TDI owners in IL
Drive more worry less.

Last edited: