Chevy Cruze Diesel a direct competitor to the Jetta TDI

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadMonKey

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Focus ST
That said they will not produce one more unit for sale than is required to boost CAFE numbers......
A diesel option isn't necessary with the E85 loop hole. All the auto manufacture has to do is call any vehicle a dual fuel and they get to double the mpg number which boosts their CAFE number higher than a diesel would.

The reason the Titan and Tundra are now flex fuel engines:rolleyes:

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
A diesel option isn't necessary with the E85 loop hole. All the auto manufacture has to do is call any vehicle a dual fuel and they get to double the mpg number which boosts their CAFE number higher than a diesel would.

The reason the Titan and Tundra are now flex fuel engines:rolleyes:
I don't think they get a DOUBLE credit towards their CAFE fleet average numbers by simply adding E85 capability.

Does anyone here know any specific formula used by the EPA to determine what benefits are assigned to E85 capable vehicles? I know that about 99% of them will never be fueled with more than 10% ethanol from the regular gas pump, so GM certainly isn't building them to please market demand.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Flex Fuel only gets a break until 2019. Here is a quote I found:

said:
Any vehicle that can run on E85 (85 percent ethanol, 15 percent gasoline) gets to average the fuel economy when operating on gasoline with the fuel economy running on the flex fuel, but the latter calculation counts only the gasoline content (15 percent), which has the effect of multiplying that fuel economy by 6.67. Let's look at the example of a flex-fuel Crown Vic:

Average combined fuel economy on gasoline: 24.1 mpg (uncorrected)
Average combined fuel economy on E85: 17.6 mpg/0.15 = 117.2 mpg
CAFE figure: 1/(0.5/24.1 + 0.5/117.2) = 40 mpg

For convenience, this same 15 percent (6.67x multiplier) is used for gallon-equivalent values of other flex fuels like natural gas, even on dedicated natural-gas vehicles like the Civic GX (100 cubic feet of natural gas = 0.823 gallon of gasoline equivalent):

Average combined fuel economy: 37.5 mpg (equivalent) / 0.15 = 250.1 mpg

The caveat: The combined effect of such alternate-fuel vehicles on a company's overall sales-weighted CAFE can be no more than 1.2 mpg for the next few years, and then it will phase out under a schedule shown below. The Greenhouse Gas folks, however, are contemplating extending the credit if manufacturers can demonstrate that the alternate fuels (in flex-fuel vehicles) are actually being used.

Model year Allowable CAFE mpg increase
1993-2014 1.2
2015 1.0
2016 0.8
2017 0.6
2018 0.4
2019 0.2
After 2019 0.0

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/features/consumer/112_0907_cafe_explained/viewall.html#ixzz1vAqACHa2

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
Two fires brings a recall of 400,000 cars? TWO fires?!

From another article:
The fires can break out when fluids drip onto a hot plastic shield below the engine. The problem occurs mainly when oil is spilled and not properly cleaned up during changes, General Motors said Friday.
Operator error is the problem there.

In addition, 61,000 of the recalled Cruzes are covered under another recall. GM says 249 of them have welds missing from a bracket that holds the tanks.
I'm not sure how GM can tell it's exactly 249 cars that have this problem of missing welds, but if they can narrow it down to that number why can't they recall those 249 cars instead of 61,000 cars?

Last edited:

MPBsr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI....Traded in
Two fires brings a recall of 400,000 cars? TWO fires?!

From another article:

Operator error is the problem there.

I'm not sure how GM can tell it's exactly 249 cars that have this problem of missing welds, but if they can narrow it down to that number why can't they recall those 249 cars instead of 61,000 cars?
I heard 30 fires. At least GM is jumping on this.

Guess I'll wait for my letter on the recall. But in the meantime keeping my sneakers on in case I need to jump out of the car.:)

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
I didn't think it was that easy to set engine oil on fire--must be sitting rather close to the exhaust, which seems to me to be problematic with the plastic whatever that is doing the trapping.

Seems like 5 minutes with a cordless drill will fix this...

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
GM, where quality is job *cracks up*...

Couldn't keep a straight face.

whatever.....just a friggin recall...every car I buy gets recalls...2 on my Golf already sir....NONE on my Camaro in 4 th summer....Bought in summer 09....

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
whatever.....just a friggin recall...every car I buy gets recalls...2 on my Golf already sir....NONE on my Camaro in 4 th summer....Bought in summer 09....
You're right.

The twelve (12) separate recalls on 02-04 Trailblazers does not accurately represent their build quality. :rolleyes:

I was a customer relations manager for GM for 4 years. I feel qualified to speak on this subject.

Enjoy your Camaro.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
GM should have adopted the VW mantra of deny, deny, deny.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
You're right.

The twelve (12) separate recalls on 02-04 Trailblazers does not accurately represent their build quality. :rolleyes:

I was a customer relations manager for GM for 4 years. I feel qualified to speak on this subject.

Enjoy your Camaro.

I am sure that GM has not improved anything in the past 10 years right?? gimme a break....one recall one a huge volume car like Cruze is NOT news and is NOT indicative into the long term quality of the car....sorry Mr CRM...you "is" wrong...We all know trailblazers were a poor product.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
"Every other GM diesel". Did something happen over the weekend? Last I checked, that just meant giant V8 trucks.

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
OK, so nothing changed. No Cruze diesel is here, nor any other diesel GM vehicle besides the trucks. So your question is kinda moot, yes? Has someone actually, for certain, seen a US-spec Cruze diesel ready for sale here, or any word of them being assembled?

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, so nothing changed. No Cruze diesel is here, nor any other diesel GM vehicle besides the trucks. So your question is kinda moot, yes? Has someone actually, for certain, seen a US-spec Cruze diesel ready for sale here, or any word of them being assembled?
The title of the thread is Rumor Mongering, B20 is a good a rumor as any.

oilhammer

TDI
The title of the thread is Rumor Mongering, B20 is a good a rumor as any.
Haha, good point!

Funny, GM is building the new Colorado right here in Wentzville (suberb of STL). They added a line alongside the one that assembles the G-vans. "Rumor has it" these, too, will be built with a 4cyl diesel. But as of right now, nobody seems to know anything. :rolleyes:

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
Haha, good point!

Funny, GM is building the new Colorado right here in Wentzville (suberb of STL). They added a line alongside the one that assembles the G-vans. "Rumor has it" these, too, will be built with a 4cyl diesel. But as of right now, nobody seems to know anything. :rolleyes:
http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/...nt/Pages/news/us/en/2012/Feb/0220_diesel.html

Then there is this;
http://www.biodiesel.org/using-biodiesel/oem-information/oem-statement-summary-chart

Indicates GM has the ability to offer B20, why not on a new market for the US Cruze.

Still the only thing official I can find, it is easier now to find B20 in my area.

Last edited:

chudzikb

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta 03 Golf 2 door
I asked my GM buddy last week. (he is way up in the company) He said not here yet, said he would let me know when it is here? Not sure when they are planning on bringing them here exactly.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
>$3k

"2013 Chevy Cruze Diesel To Start At $23,515? Estimated Production Start 2Q13"

That would seem about right for a 2014 model.
Greater the $3K premium for diesel compared to ECO and $6K premium compared to Cruze LS.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Greater the $3K premium for diesel compared to ECO and $6K premium compared to Cruze LS.
Comparing to Jetta:
Starting price: Jetta S $16645 Cruze $16800
Jetta SLE $24805 Cruze LTZ $23190
Diesel Jetta $22775 - 25345 Cruze $23515

So that puts the Cruze right in the middle of the Jetta TDI pricing and comparible pricing differences from base to diesel.

2slowtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Bora gone. 2006 Benz CDI 235hp 420ftlbstq
So I wonder if the gas motor will just drop in to take the place of the diesel one.
That would be helpful as the GM auto diesel motor was what killed the diesel market here in the USA.

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta tdi pd-1989 Jetta IDI-1994 F-250 IDI Turbo
September Car&Driver-Cruze Diesel

I know this has been discussed however Chevy has a 4-5 page advertisement on what is new for 2013 and list the Cruze diesel.

Guess they will be on the floor any time now. Has anyone seen or drove one? Will they be available with a 5spd?

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
Will they be available with a 5spd?
I assume you mean a manual transmission.

If this were a 2003 model, then I would expect a 5 speed. Being a 2013 model, GM would be a typical load of fail if they didn't have a 6 speed as the manual transmission option.

Status
Not open for further replies.