Chevy Colorado Diesel

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
First news I've heard in a while: https://treeangle.co.id/news/38597/...el-variants-for-chevrolet-colorado-gmc-canyon

I'm still predicting we never see it, as I always have, and even more so now that the VW scandal has put diesel in a bad light again. The EPA will probably be taking a good close look at this thing before they let it loose into the wild.

September 19, 2015
Chevrolet and GMC released more details about their Colorado and Canyon diesel pickups Monday during a small event and then let a handful of journalists drive it. However, no one is supposed tell anyone their driving impressions after doing a few laps on the Ride and Handling Course at General Motors’ Milford Proving Grounds in Michigan. The final engine and transmission calibrations are not complete, and were going to need something to write about later.

What we can tell you is that the much-anticipated 2.8-liter turbodiesel I-4 creates 181 hp and 369 lb-ft of torque and will have best-in-class fuel economy. That means it has more torque than the 3.6-liter V-6s 269 pound-feet of torque and better fuel economy than the 2.5-liter four-cylinder engines 27 mpg on the highway. Chevy wouldnt release fuel economy numbers, but its not unrealistic to expect something north of 30 mpg.

Compare the Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon
This engine has more than 35,000 hours of dyno testing, said Scott Yackley, assist chief engineer for Duramax. Our goals were beyond just fuel economy, we wanted this engine to have the power for towing and overall performance should be smooth.

A lot of time was also spent finding ways to make the engine quieter. It still ticks like a diesel when idling, but even with the hood up, the engine was quiet compared to other diesels currently found in German sedans. Better yet, at least for the Colorado and Canyon, sales have been sky-high since their launch last year. The small pickup segment has seen sales grow by 61.7 percent compared to 2014. The Toyota Tacoma remains the highest-selling midsize pickup with 73,000 units through May. But GM has sold 48,000 units through the same time period without selling any last year during the same time.

We just added a third shift to the manufacturing plant and sales remain very strong with just 16 days to turn for most trucks, said Jeff Luke, chief engineer of GMs full-line and mid-line trucks.

Engineers also adjusted the six-speed automatic transmission, adding a centrifugal pendulum absorber, which is a device to help remove shakes in the driveshaft due to too much torque. One other notable item in GMs new diesels is the integrated trailer brake controller mounted on the left side of the steering wheel. It certainly suggests that these diesel pickups will have a focus beyond just high fuel economy. Few other details were discussed during the small press event. The diesels will arrive as crew cab mid-trim level trucks with the short bed by the end of this year. The engines will be built overseas and executives said they expect diesels to be about 10 percent of the mix of vehicles sold. I think it will be higher.

Currently, a V-6 Colorado Crew Cab starts at around $29,000. Add roughly $4,000 to that price — GM would not confirm that figure, which is ultimately an educated guess — and the diesel Colorado could start at a price around $33,000.

That might not be a bad deal.

Non-diesel 2015 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab models shown.

Last edited:

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Yea, so I've been considering a Colorado Dirtymax for a while now..Before Dieslegate..But when I went to price it out, the tag is near 40 grand!!! :*(

They force you into the quad cab, which jacks up the price and when you add in the diesel option they also force a bunch of other crap..Take it or leave it deal.

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
Yeah same here. I still have an LBZ and would suggest looking for a used one if you need a diesel p/u. Mine has been rock solid once you straight pipe and egr delete (like most diesels) . Diesel fuel and amsoil is all it has ever needed since 2007, oh and front wheel bearings.

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Yeah same here. I still have an LBZ and would suggest looking for a used one if you need a diesel p/u. Mine has been rock solid once you straight pipe and egr delete (like most diesels) . Diesel fuel and amsoil is all it has ever needed since 2007, oh and front wheel bearings.
Yea we had one and sold it a while back ago :( needed the cash at the time. Sold with 30' flat bed trailer for a steal.
Loved that truck

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Yea, so I've been considering a Colorado Dirtymax for a while now..Before Dieslegate..But when I went to price it out, the tag is near 40 grand!!! :*(
How exactly did you price one out? The Chrvy/GMC websites don't even allow you to pick the Diesel.engine in the "Build & Price" section. I tried all cab/bed versions and 2wd vs 4wd. I have seen no option to add the Diesel. My friend who is a trainer/manager at a Chevy/Buick store can't even get me numbers yet.

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
"....The diesels will arrive as crew cab mid-trim level trucks with the short bed...." Lame. Short bed?

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
How exactly did you price one out? The Chrvy/GMC websites don't even allow you to pick the Diesel.engine in the "Build & Price" section. I tried all cab/bed versions and 2wd vs 4wd. I have seen no option to add the Diesel. My friend who is a trainer/manager at a Chevy/Buick store can't even get me numbers yet.
A price premium of $37xx has been published for the diesel over and above a CrewCab LT V6 Chevy Colorado. Car and Driver says the minimum price for the Diesel Colorado will be $33520 - a good bit short of $40K Here is the link:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/2016-c...-duramax-diesel-details-and-pricing-released/

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
I did it a couple of weeks ago on the website. Maybe they took it down. I even remember how there was an extra charge for green paint.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
I did it a couple of weeks ago on the website. Maybe they took it down. I even remember how there was an extra charge for green paint.

I've been checking every 2 or 3 days for about 2 months now. I have never seen an option for the Diesel.

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
I've been checking every 2 or 3 days for about 2 months now. I have never seen an option for the Diesel.
Lol idk then, it did work that day. I started w a 4 door 4wd, and went with it like that.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Last edited:

cbalthazor

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Lifted Wagon
I am really excited about this truck. Not sure how I feel about it being timing belt driven yet, gears must've been a pricey upgrade manufacturing wise.

The emissions system looks very similar to heavy equipment, so I really think it has a shot at being reliable. The injectors look to be a bit of a leap, being solenoid controlled over piezo.

Read a drive report that a 2wd version got 36mpg at a test earlier this week.. Chevy is definitely hyping this truck, but it does seem like it'd be a great CPO after we start to see real numbers and reliability... Seems to be a very versatile vehicle with fair economy numbers. I had been looking at MKVI and Lifting them, this is a way, way better option if the highway mileage rings true to north of 30.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
<snip>

Read a drive report that a 2wd version got 36mpg at a test earlier this week.. Chevy is definitely hyping this truck, but it does seem like it'd be a great CPO after we start to see real numbers and reliability... Seems to be a very versatile vehicle with fair economy numbers. I had been looking at MKVI and Lifting them, this is a way, way better option if the highway mileage rings true to north of 30.
I have read reports of mi 30s mpg trips with the Ram 1500 eco diesel also. I take the MPG numbers with a grain of salt. Kind of like the "up to" speed ratings the cable companies tack on their internet speed.

For a half ton pick up, I would have to look hard at the F150 with the 2.7 turbo gas engine. Lower purchase price than a diesel option and better resale value than a Chevy Colorado will go a very long way to covering the difference in fuel mpg.

cbalthazor

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Lifted Wagon
I have read reports of mi 30s mpg trips with the Ram 1500 eco diesel also. I take the MPG numbers with a grain of salt. Kind of like the "up to" speed ratings the cable companies tack on their internet speed.

For a half ton pick up, I would have to look hard at the F150 with the 2.7 turbo gas engine. Lower purchase price than a diesel option and better resale value than a Chevy Colorado will go a very long way to covering the difference in fuel mpg.
I agree on the numbers, they seem to get a bit inflated. Maybe the above poster can elaborate on real world mpg???

I am pretty impressed by the ecoboost F150. Our company sales reps tend to buy F150's, and I've been in both a 2010 3.5 Ecoboost and the newer aluminum bodied truck. Both get about mid 20's unloaded, and the 2010 has been as reliable as a Toyota- only had oil changes, tires, brakes, etc and it's sitting at 110,000 mi.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The Amarok diesel gets about 10.3 L/100km according to Fuelly, so I would guess the Colorado should be similar.

My brother's 2015 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab with a 395 HP 5.7L Hemi V8 gets about 12L/100km. In fact, when I drive it and try to get good fuel economy I can get about 11L/100km. And that's mixed city and highway driving. When driving on the highway only, I had it down around 9L/100km. It has the MDS system that shuts down some of the cylinders when less power is needed. It also has the 8 speed Torqueflight transmission. Both of those probably help fuel economy a lot.

He paid $36,000 Canadian all-in. I believe that is several thousand cheaper than the Colorado diesel will be. The sticker price on his Ram was $49,000, but that is not to be take seriously. He was out the door for $36,000 with 0% financing. This was during the promotion they had this summer. Such promotional pricing never seems to be available on diesels and I doubt you'll be able to get a Colorado diesel for less than $45,000 taxes included. I'm talking Canadian prices, just to be clear.

So, if the Colorado diesel only saves one or two litres per hundred kilometres compared to a full size truck, and costs more, that's a fail.

Chevy is going to have to sharpen their pencils a little. The Colorado is a smaller truck, so it either needs to cost a lot less (because it's small and Americans don't pay more for smaller), or it needs to get much better fuel economy.

Last edited:

d2305

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Ram EcoDiesel
It's only 4 cylinders vice 6 for the Ram. It should be getting better fuel mileage. I have no idea what your metric fuel mileages mean. Just like the Brits to invent a standard, and throw it away.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI

They force you into the quad cab, which jacks up the price and when you add in the diesel option they also force a bunch of other crap..Take it or leave it deal.
Yup. The only vehicle I would ditch my car for tomorrow (negative equity be damned, lol) is a reasonably priced mid-sized diesel truck that is moderately equipped. I'm not paying ~$40k for a mid-sized truck.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
They are as big as a 1/2 ton 20 years ago.
If by "as big"...you mean 5" less length and 2.6" narrower...then sure...it's as big. 2.6" in width can be the difference between having adequate hip and/or shoulder room (a modern 1/2 ton truck) and inadequate hip and/or shoulder room (a modern "mid-size" truck).

That...to me...is the difference between a "mid-size" and full-size truck. A mid-size truck...if you're a good sized guy...you're going to have to stuff yourself in and pry yourself out. A full-size truck makes for comfortable ingress and egress.