Chevrolet Cruze Diesel sales

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yeah, I thought this car would fizzle out within a couple model years. They are just too expensive. Local dealer is offering a base Cruze for $13k after some GM loyalty stuff. I know it is a lesser trim car, but the diesel LTZ isn't worth TWICE the money they want for them. No wonder they aren't selling.

Besides, the Cruze ECO can get within spitting distance MPG wise, for a lot less money.

But at least GM tried. So I give them props for that. More than most everyone else has done on the diesel front.

I also don't think the common buyer demographic fits that car. Cruze buyers tend to be bottom feeders, people who are not really car people, just looking for something small and cheap, and are brand-loyal. Jetta buyers are a totally different crowd, as are most Volkswagen buyers in general, and the diesel people (I include myself in here) are a little eccentric and are used to the mantra of 'off the beaten path'. I'd own a gas Jetta before I'd own a diesel Cruze.

Last edited:

Ramairetransam

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
haha gm , way to go , im a gm fan btw. But they are always late to the game . Lower the price , offer a manual and bring over the cruze wagon from europe to compete with the jetta wagon .

Its basically the price thats killing them , they have a new product and need to get it out there, so price it cheaper than the jetta.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
I'm waiting for the 2016 redesign (along with any kinks to be worked out). I feel that there are most likely others in the same boat.

psrumors

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4
“If you’re in the market for a diesel car, you’ll know about the Cruze diesel,” a GM executive told me last year.
Nope, I didn't know about the Cruze but I also don't follow GM and will not buy from their dealers.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Don't know about other parts of the country, but I see very few Cruzes of any type on the roads around here. GM stuff is pretty much limited to Silverados, Tahoes, and Suburbans. I see few Chevrolet cars except for the occasional sales rep Impala or Malibu. Lots of VWs, however.

Driver_found

Veteran Member
TDI
Former MKV Jetta TDI 5M, Former 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2015 Mazda 6 Touring 6m
All Chevy Cruzes had a stop sale recently for one of those various recalls.

Ted Hurst

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
Yeah, I thought this car would fizzle out within a couple model years. They are just too expensive. Local dealer is offering a base Cruze for $13k after some GM loyalty stuff. I know it is a lesser trim car, but the diesel LTZ isn't worth TWICE the money they want for them. No wonder they aren't selling.

Besides, the Cruze ECO can get within spitting distance MPG wise, for a lot less money.

But at least GM tried. So I give them props for that. More than most everyone else has done on the diesel front.

I also don't think the common buyer demographic fits that car. Cruze buyers tend to be bottom feeders, people who are not really car people, just looking for something small and cheap, and are brand-loyal. Jetta buyers are a totally different crowd, as are most Volkswagen buyers in general, and the diesel people (I include myself in here) are a little eccentric and are used to the mantra of 'off the beaten path'. I'd own a gas Jetta before I'd own a diesel Cruze.
When I look at the Cruze I can't help but think "Cavalier". For so many years that model was the bottom of the barrel entry car. Now that fuel economy is becoming more important to buyers this car is being offered with nicer interiors and better equipped. If you take into account that the average new car buyer is over 50 years old coupled with memories of the Cavalier and other not so great small GM cars from the 70's and 80's I'm not shocked at the low sales figures.

oilhammer

TDI
Except for whatever reason, the J-bodies sold in great numbers here. I have no idea why, every last one of them was an abysmal lackluster turd of a car. Low tech and cheap, and every GM branch had one at one time except Saturn. I think that was the cheapo car that every brand got to sell (under their own hastily rebadged nametag) when you showed up at the dealership looking for a bottom feeder car.

The Cobalt that replaced it (there was also a short-lived Pontiac version, the G5, available in 2-dr only) was a much better vehicle, but still not a standout and pretty mundane overall.

So to that end, the Cruze doesn't really have much of any shoes to fill. And the few [gassers] that I have driven seem OK, but the styling still seems cheesy and forced. The Euro version is MUCH nicer to look at, and they don't get the fugly sedan we get with its too-big tail lamps and useless (in comparison to a hatch) trunk opening.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Many, many of those cars were sold to fleets. The bottom of the Avis rental barrel in that time period was a Pontiac Sunfire. My wife had a rental when her Previa was getting repaired after an accident. She wasn't a car person, and she complained about it bitterly. At that time if you rented from National you'd go out on the lot and just take any car: They were all white Cavaliers. I got T-boned in Dallas in a rental Cavalier, right in the driver's door. Car was still driveable even though it had a big enough dent to compress the driver's seat cushion. And of course the hotel I was at had valet parking. They called it the squishmobile.

For the last few years of its life the Oldmobile (under) Achieva was fleet sales only. That's the mark of a popular brand.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
With the exception of trucks and SUVs,I don't know why anyone would buy a GM car. Good luck to whoever buys a diesel Cruze and tries getting it serviced by their dealer. If the dealer sells a doz of them it's probably a lot. Do you think they have techs that have a clue on whats going on under the hood?

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)

I don't think it will fizzle out. It's not like GM is in the Diesel woods or something. They sell Diesels all over the world and sell MUCHO HD trucks as you well know. My buddy at the GM store north of Toronto told me they could not SUPPLY them.
This is not a sales problem. There are plenty of talented GM salespeople that know diesel and plenty of customers for the car. It's a slow start where GM is being super careful and they may have to incentivize the product a bit and maybe throw a stick in it and they will find a steady level of sales in next 2 years. The news of Cruze refreshing the taillights headlights and a complete revamp in 16 has probably not helped it. And let's face it...many people don't want to be first...is there an echo in the room? GM can well handle slow sales the first 2 years and I am sure they are in it for the long run as this powertrain has many future homes in the GM line with some miles under it's belt.

oilhammer

TDI
Nah, diesel Cruze will be gone by 2017. You watch. They'll site slow sales, high price, yadayada. GM doesn't sell that many C/K trucks with diesels as compared to the gas engines, certainly not around here, I am in the middle of truck country too. Ford still dominates here, by a wide margin. And our fleet trucks are probably 80% Ford still. Not many diesels, though. They've become too expensive, and TOO heavy duty. The 5.4L gas V8 remains the most common, but with the E-van being phased out and replaced with the Transit who knows what the next few years will bring.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
GM is in the woods when it comes to diesels, at least here in NA. And although the article linked in the first post says otherwise, I'm betting they're still affected by the abysmal engines they built in the 70s and 80s, along with being out of the diesel car market here for 30 years. If they brought in multiple models (Cadillac ATS and CTS come to mind) it might help, as might the Colorado, if they actually do offer it here with a diesel.

n1acguy

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Passat TDI DSG SE/Sunroof
As someone who rents a lot of cars, I think the Cruise is far superior to any Korean car.
The drivability is really quite good on both canyon roads and the interstate.

I can't understand the short sighted thinking behind the diesel version though.
No spare tire and the car doesn't have run flats? Really?
I wouldn't buy it based on that alone.

They seemed to have concentrated on the engine, but how they were going to fit the DEF pump and tank was an afterthought. 'Oh well, no room for a spare, we'll just throw in a can of fix a flat.'
Even people that don't know the first thing about cars are probably insulted by that, especially considering the price.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Nah, diesel Cruze will be gone by 2017. You watch. They'll site slow sales, high price, yadayada. GM doesn't sell that many C/K trucks with diesels as compared to the gas engines, certainly not around here, I am in the middle of truck country too. Ford still dominates here, by a wide margin. And our fleet trucks are probably 80% Ford still. Not many diesels, though. They've become too expensive, and TOO heavy duty. The 5.4L gas V8 remains the most common, but with the E-van being phased out and replaced with the Transit who knows what the next few years will bring.
When the 2016 redesign comes around, if the TD model still comes across as an afterthought, I'll agree with you.

Essentially, if the 2016 actually has an urea tank, spare, etc. for the TD model, then I'll stand by GM's words that they're committed to the TD. If it comes across as a conversion kit again however...

Ted Hurst

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
It would be nice to see GM drop that diesel in the Malibu, Equinox or maybe even the Impala. That would show a commitment to diesel and raise a few eyebrows.

oilhammer

TDI
Yes, but if they can't sell them in the one [passenger car] model they already have, then they won't spend the money to put it in the others. Especially considering the others are far less of a "world car" than the Cruze, and wouldn't benefit from sales elsewhere.

Remember, this is a company that just up until a couple years ago was selling cars with pushrod lumps under the hood that were warmed over X-body engines from 1980. Now I'm not saying those last of the 60 degree OHV V6s were necessarily a bad engine, not at all, but they were not exactly at the cutting edge of technology when they debuted in 1980's Citation. See, people who buy those brands are not after the latest and greatest, and often wouldn't even know what that means anyways. So putting something like a cutting edge 'clean diesel' under the hood is a stretch. I just don't see the people in Chevrolet showrooms as those who are by and large looking for something like that. I see those people as being brand loyal from as far back as their grandparents, and for whatever reason just keep buying them. They are the reason GM has struggled along as far as they have, and while their numbers have dwindled and GM's market share continued to fall, this wave from the golden days at GM (1960s) was so huge, it carried them a LONG way.

This is why truck and truck-based SUVs have been that company's strong point. Because those segments tend to allow for technology stagnation. Yes, the current Silverado in 2014 is a far cry from what they had in 1964, but I assure you if you grabbed any GM car guy from 1964 and blasted him through a time machine to today and dropped him in a Chevy showroom, he'd be comfortable and familiar with that Silverado. Everything else there would probably scare him silly.

Really a shame GM's bean counters got a hold of that company so many decades ago. This is a company that had fuel injection in the 1950s (a crude version, yes), belt driven OHC engines (Pontiac's I-6), rear mounted transaxle with IRS in a front engine sedan (again, a Pontiac endeavor), all aluminum V8s (both Buick and Oldsmobile), air cooled rear mounted boxer engines like Porsche and Volkswagen (Corvair, and trucks, too!), turbocharging, as well as being atop the world in automatic transmission advancements.... all of this in the 1960s. By 1980, all that was gone.

I think in the '60s, American car buyers WOULD have expected a car akin to the Cruze diesel in Chevy showrooms. But decades of dreary low-tech stuff with forgettable redundant brands lacking any unique image have cast a dark shadow on the company. I don't talk to any new car shoppers that have GM brands on their lists. It is just the loyalists, and that isn't always enough.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Bean counters and people who weren't "car guys" in charge destroyed GM. I think a lot of the examples of new tech that GM tried were pretty lousy: Those aluminum V8s never held together well, even in Land Rovers or Morgans, They've never made a good 4 cylinder engine (remember the rough and noisy early Quad-4s, or one word: Vega?), the Corvair was a disaster on all levels...you get the idea. Where they were excellent was in automatic transmissions, OHV V-8s (still are), air conditioning, interior quality (I had a childhood friend whose parents had a mid-60s Cadillac. That car was beautiful inside), and NVH in larger cars. But all that has deteriorated under cost pressures, combining platforms, etc.

My father-in-law was a big GM guy and followed the path Sloan would have liked everyone to take. He drove Chevrolets as a sales rep in the 50s and 60s, Then Oldsmobiles, and had several Cadillacs, starting in the 80s, including a Seville with the V8-6-4 engine. Another technology fail. When he died two years ago he had a 4 year old large Cadillac (I forget what they were called then, maybe still a DeVille). My mother-in-law didn't want to sell privately, but the dealer offered her $3K for it. Four year old car that cost around $50K new with fewer than 50,000 miles on it. My father-in-law had been a loyal customer of that dealership for over 20 years. Way to build brand loyalty.

ekkoh99

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat WGN TDI
I remember talking to Christi Landy at the Chicago Auto Show when they introduced the diesel Cruze. I listed a few issues but she didnt listen.

1. No spare tire
2. Ad blue requirement
3. No manual transmission.
4. No wagon where the diesel take rate is high

Whatever focus group they used, clearly did not work.

jrock

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Blue, Passat, 2012 Silver
I'd buy one today if they offered a manual transmission. I personally like the ride and handling on the cruze over the jetta.

skramer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
Just food for thought...

VW YTD sales 209k

Chevy Cruze YTD sales 145k

Sucks GM cannot figure out the US market so well, if we figure 2% of the current sales figure, they are still selling more Cruze diesels than VW sales of the Tigan, which VW needs a decent CUV to compete in the US market.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
yep. GM going by way of the dodo bird. So says a few VW loyalist on a Diesel site. Man they must be worried while they keep selling cars and trucks and being top 3 in the WORLD. Must be all that old tech.

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
While Cruz diesel engine is of european origin with higher hp and torque than VW, the price as OilHammer mentioned is one reason for few sales. Moreover, I don't see many garages servicing Cruz diesels. I enquired about one. But the price discouraged me for pursuing. While performance of diesel cars have improved, the fact remains that their price, price of parts and service cost, are much expensive then gas cars. Moreover, diesel fuel costs more than gas, their pick-up is not feather like the gas cars, and they are now subject to emission testing. These facts contribute to few diesel cars sales in the country. Would I buy another diesel in the future? No for sure.

Ted Hurst

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
Don't forget about the "Iron Duke"!
Now that was a "Marketing Program"! It gave me visions of John Wayne powering my Fathers 1984 Cutlass Ciera. Although, I do remember logging 32+mpg tanks on family trips fully loaded.

Last edited: