Checking rad fans with VCDS?

2footbraker

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, 01 Golf
Is there any way to activate the radiator fans using VCDS? Will they throw a code if they are inoperative? I just want to make sure they work before the summer as I had a little excursion into some deep snow and they may have been damaged.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Try going to Engine module, and look for OUTPUT Tests. I am almost certain one of them varies the fan speeds from min to max. Both fans should always respond the same.

A similar test may also be found in the AUTO HVAC OUTPUT tests section.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
It might be possible to turn on the fans with VCDS, but I have never tried it. However, you should be able to test the fans an even easier way. Just start the engine and then turn on the AC. AC on should automatically turn on all of the radiator fans. If this doesn't work try scrolling through all of the output tests in the engine controller with VCDS and see if you can find it.

Have Fun!

Don

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
On your cars, the AC would have to run for a minute or so in order to get pressures high enough for the fans to come on - and this is with warm weather.

Remember the AC will not come on below 35F, so in winter you would have to test the fans with VCDS.