Checking for Damage

smos1

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V w/AFN swap, 2011 JSW with a leaking pano
-'96 B4V, 160k.

So I'm cruising on I-5 Northbound yesterday (Seattle area), and I hear what I think is a rock bouncing around underneath, than another....than a bad noise and vibration. So I pull over and decide it's a good time to call a tow truck, AAA just paid for itself.... again.

First thoughts were my transmission exploded, or some other catastrophic failure. But no, just the bolts holding the axle to the transmission on the passenger side had come loose, and 2 of them were the "rocks" I heard bouncing around underneath.

Over a year ago I rebuilt this axle, with a kit from one of the trusted vendors on here...new boots, grease, bolts. And I know I torqued them to the correct specs, unless something is wrong with the torque wrench?

Couple questions...why would all the bolts have come loose. None of them were attached when I finally looked under the car.

And nothing looks damaged, or stripped, or broken...a couple dents in the metal ring is about all I can see (see photo).

Is there something I should look for specifically that could have been damaged? Can I just get new bolts and grease and put it back together?

Suggestions?

thanks in advance.

a link to photos of the axle:

http://smos.smugmug.com/Cars/Passat-TDI/30406568_w2dCbc#!i=2620088969&k=rZC9ZPM

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
If some road debris is caught between cv and flange, then joint will sort of "work" while you go through the gears. Bolts loosen, and you get what you got.

Make sure mating surfaces are clean clean, threads clean, and maybe a little extra torque when snugging them up.

Should be able to just put it back together with fresh bolts and motor on. If there is damage hidden somewhere, it will probably make itself known.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Yep, unless you want to wander down the interstate and find them!!!

Had to type that, but honestly not sure if they are yield bolts.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
What I recall on my '96...the bolts are reusable. NOT TTY.

It's been about 2 years since I had to replace a CV boot.

What I recall is that I needed to go around the bolts 2-3 times. Each time around the circle, each bolt tightened a little bit more. I even think the manual suggests going around the bolt circle at least twice.

Tony

Technician!

Veteran Member
TDI
None, currently
what i recall on my '96...the bolts are reusable. Not tty.

It's been about 2 years since i had to replace a cv boot.

What i recall is that i needed to go around the bolts 2-3 times. Each time around the circle, each bolt tightened a little bit more. I even think the manual suggests going around the bolt circle at least twice.

Tony

yes!!!

yakko

Veteran Member
TDI
PASSAT 96,97
Yea it is the passenger side. I just saw your pics. Is the inside boot VW? I had the same ting happen with the passenger side axle. I torqued the bolts to 33ftlbs. going around 3 times. The axle bolts loosened and the bolts fell out. The aftermarket boot was damaged. I found an ever so slight difference in the diameter of the after market boot and the VW boot. I'm talking about the metal part that fits the CV joint. I replace that boot with a dealer VW boot and never had the problem again. Ever.

The passenger inside boot I get from the dealer. Don't forget the cork gasket. It seals the joint. The VW bolts are reusable. I had about 350,000 moles on the same bolts. I have a Snap On torque wrench.

Last edited:

smos1

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't know if this is a stupid question or not, but here goes...I finally got the parts to put the axle back together, and the time. One of the bolts actually sheared off in the transmission side.

As I was finally installing the axle I pulled on it to get the splined part back into the spindle and I could feel it move in the boot on the transmission side. So I pushed it back, tightened everything, but when I rolled the drivers side wheel forward (car is up on jacks), the passenger side wheel rolled backwards.

Is this correct? What'd I do if it's not supposed to do this.
thanks

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Normal. The differential gear does this. With car in air, tranny in gear, if you rotate one wheel by hand the other will rotate the opposite direction.

smos1

Veteran Member
TDI
yup, I started it and ran it...both wheels go the same way.

thanks

smos1

Veteran Member
TDI
a new problem.
put it all together and went for a test drive around the block. At a stop sign, put it into 1st and it made a funny "clunk" as I let the clutch out. But it drove fine, at around 25mph.

Another stop, put it into 1st, and a grinding noise, and no go...

None of the gears will engage.

In a earlier post I mentioned that I pulled on the axle when I was trying to get the splined part of the axle in to the spindle...did I disengage something from inside the transmission?

When the axle let loose from the transmission did something inside blow up?

any suggestions?