Check engine light on '01 Golf

gerglion

TDI
2001 Golf
This morning just as I started down the road to school, a check engine light came on. While waiting to pick up my friend, I looked at the owner's manual and it mentioned it being an emissions based warning light? Anyone have any insight or clarification of what this light can actually mean?

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
It means that there is a malfunction in the emission control system of your vehicle. As long as it is not flashing, you can live with it for now.

Go to the autozone and get the code scanned. Then we can give you a hand as to what the problem is. Otherwise, go to the VW guru in your area.

gerglion

TDI
2001 Golf
I guess Autozone it is, as the nearest guru, from what I have been told is metalman, a good 3 hour drive away...

I've never had to go to Autozone for this type of thing... They aren't going to be jerks about it, are they?

Getriebe Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf
go to Autozone and have them run the code

I've been to autozone 6-8 times to have codes run and they are always very helpful. Once you get the code the people on the forum can help you. Autozone stock price AZO is ripping up so maybe good customer service is paying off for them. I had a bad egr valve for a long time which was giving me the mil light on and off. I also had the bad connections in the glow plug harness which is a common deal for turning on the light.

gerglion

TDI
2001 Golf
How long will it take? I'm usually on campus from ~7:30am until at least 8pm, sometimes much later. If it is a quick jobbie, I probably can sneak out. The wonders of grad school... and I though I had no time as an undergrad.

gerglion

TDI
2001 Golf
Sounds good. I'll try to sneak in when I have some free time.

I'm starting to feel like I should have gone into the auto mechanic field vs. computer science... *sigh*

By the way, yatzee, I took a look at fuelly.com ... neat stuff.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Yeah, it's kinda fun. There are a whole pile of guys on here that are on the site. I also keep track of 1 of my bikes on there. In general, my fuel economy is lower than many other users, but I also do a lot of city and drive a bit too quickly on the highway. As long as I don't drop too far under 6.0l/100 (or 40 mpg), I'm happy. I also tow from time to time... that drops me to about 32 mpg.

gerglion

TDI
2001 Golf
Most of my driving is city, going to school and back, and such. Highway, I get it up to ~51mpg, but I'm mostly seeing 40-45, lower if it is fairly cold (I pick up my g/f to bring her to school, I end up idling while waiting...).

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Keep in mind that, unlike older diesels, ours do not like idling - soot will clog up the catalytic converter. Also, make sure you give your car a kick from time to time to make sure that the variable vanes in the turbo don't stick.

gerglion

TDI
2001 Golf
Yeah, I try not to idle. I shut the car off usually... But when it is 10 degrees out, the cabin tends to get chilly awfully quickly.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
gerglion said:
...I'm starting to feel like I should have gone into the auto mechanic field vs. computer science... *sigh*
Yeah, but just think how far gray code and linked lists are going to get you when it's over!

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
CEL codes

yatzee said:
pulling the codes will take around 5 mins from autozone.
Also see where Aamco transmissions is advertising Free CEL code check.:)

Last edited: