Check Engine Codes - P13CE and P13DO

chacabuco

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
On the advice of this forum I took my 2010 sportwagen into an Autozone to figure out why the CEL was on.
P13CE and P13DO were the codes that came back - manufacture control ignition system or misfire. Can anyone tell me what that means??
Thanks in advance for any help!

PlaneJob

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Can anyone tell me what that means??
Thanks in advance for any help!
Unfortunately, those are just generic "P-codes" that don't have a lot of detail. The VAG specific codes would shed a lot more light. You can get these codes from the dealer ($) or from a local person who owns VCDS. Google "vag-com locator" or look around this site for a link to it.

It's a 2010... are you still within the mileage limits for the warranty?

TNriverjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6MT
I hate to resurrect an old thread, but I've searched, and not found very much info. Both of these codes are showing on my JSW too. Is this covered by the 60,000 mi power train warranty? I'm at 58k and change... Time to head in for a final dealer visit if so.

I did some digging last Saturday, and could not find an easy way to get into the glow plugs. I could get the plastic cover unsnapped, but there were some folded wires and connections deep inside. I verified that the wiring was intact without chaffing, and buttoned it back up. Cleared the codes, and of course they've returned.

I really need to know if this is a warranty item. Any wisdom from the masses?

Cooper

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW (traded in 5/2015)
P0013 is "Intake 'B' Camshaft Position Actuator Circuit Bank 1 Malfunction."

TNriverjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6MT
P0013 is "Intake 'B' Camshaft Position Actuator Circuit Bank 1 Malfunction."
Thanks. The code was P13CE & P13DO, not P0013.

I called the dealership today... They said a glow plug is a wear item like a spark plug! Holy Cow, most spark plugs go 100K these days. Why can't a glow plug make it through the 60K mile mark?

Anyway, I then called VWoA Customer Care. They were sympathetic and collected all my information... including the ownership of 4 VW's over the years, only to say that I'm too far past the 3/36,000 mileage to qualify for assistance with this issue. :cool: At least I tried for help! I also put them on notice that I am aware of the HPFP issue, and that I would be contacting them again if that failed.

Anyway... look out ID Parts, here I come!

Glow Plug [OEM] w/ Sensor (MkVI CBEA CJAA)(Touareg Q7 V6 CATA)
[cr_glowplug] $124.50

Click to enlarge OE Part Number: 03L905061F
Glow plug for common rail TDI motors with engine code CBEA, CJAA or the 6-cylinder CATA motors. These plugs are equipped on 2009+ Jetta TDI, 2010+ Golf TDI, all Sportwagen TDI, all Audi A3 TDI as well as all V6 Touareg TDI and Q7 TDI.

This plug has an integrated cylinder pressure sensor.

4-cylinder motors take 4 of these plugs, 6 cylinder motors inthe Touareg & Q7 take 2 of these plugs and 4 glow plugs without sensor.

Select quantity: 1

Now to figure out how to get that thing out and plug in a new one. Has anyone here replaced one? It looks difficult to reach. Maybe there is a special tool. My buddy Peter Noble at ID Parts is sure to know!

TNriverjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6MT
My research and recent VAGCOM scan confirms these codes relate to a faulty cylinder pressure sensor. Thanks Chadwick1979 for the VAGCOM assistance!

This sensor is integral with the glow plug, and the whole glow plug must be replaced. My post above references a TDI club vendor that offers this part.

I will be replacing this plug next weekend when I perform my 60K oil change. I will report the results here when completed.

TNriverjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6MT
These codes reference cylinder #1. Anyone know which one is cylinder #1? I've done some searching, and it seems VW has changed how the numbers are layed out on different models. There is a fair amount of logic in the passenger side cylinder nearest the timing belt and accessory drive belt side being #1, but I'd like more concrete documentation before I tear out a glow plug.

I even found the VW self study on the 2.0 TDI last night, but it did not specifically address cylinder numbering.

tek004r

TDI
1998 beetle
So did you ever figure out the numbering? How hard is it to replace the glow plug? were you able to reset the CEL? Thx