Cheaper Muffler shops in the GTA

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
I'm looking to install a mk7 gti exhaust on my mk7 1.8t and I need to go to a muffler shop. I've called Zoro and they told me around 100 bucks, then I called hot rod scotts in Etobicoke and they said 120....seems a little steep for literally 10 min of work... Only tricky part is the 1.8t exhaust line is 2.25 inch vs 2.5 inch for the gti exhaust line but that should hardly be an issue. Can anybody recommend a cheaper place?

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
This is NOT literally a 10 minute work. By the time the car enters the bay and leaves, it will be close to an hour. You could just buy a reducer and do the work yourself?

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
This is NOT literally a 10 minute work. By the time the car enters the bay and leaves, it will be close to an hour. You could just buy a reducer and do the work yourself?
Ok it's not 10 min but it's no more then 30, 45 min at most... Either way called some shops and one told me 50-75 which sounds reasonable

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
How much is getting changed? From the turbo back, the cat back or just the muffler? Most places charge in the neighborhood of $100 per hour and it is not uncommon to have a 1 hour minimum on a job. As Imo said, by the time the car is driven in, lifted, parts removed, new parts installed, lowered and driven out, your probably looking at 30-40 min. Plus the parts (reducer) and the administration of preparing the work order and taking payment. $100 sounds reasonable.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
How much is getting changed? From the turbo back, the cat back or just the muffler? Most places charge in the neighborhood of $100 per hour and it is not uncommon to have a 1 hour minimum on a job. As Imo said, by the time the car is driven in, lifted, parts removed, new parts installed, lowered and driven out, your probably looking at 30-40 min. Plus the parts (reducer) and the administration of preparing the work order and taking payment. $100 sounds reasonable.
Just the muffler. Like I just posted, found a shop called magic touch Muffler for 50-75. They're on Dixie just north of queensway

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
All of these are just estimates because this is a custom job. The lower quote over the phone was just a way to get you to their shop. The shop will then changed you based on how much actual time the custom work takes. So the Magic shop can end up as much as everyone else. The $50-$75 can easily turn into a minimum $75, once they have your car you are at their mercy.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
All of these are just estimates because this is a custom job. The lower quote over the phone was just a way to get you to their shop. The shop will then changed you based on how much actual time the custom work takes. So the Magic shop can end up as much as everyone else. The $50-$75 can easily turn into a minimum $75, once they have your car you are at their mercy.
Yea ok sure.... I'll let you know if that happens

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Consider that muffler shops are in the business to make money.

By supplying your own parts, there is no margin in the parts they would normally sell.

If they are a busy shop, they will likely prioritize jobs where they are able to make money on both the parts and the labour...

... Or they may increase the labour to make the job worth it.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Everything is a business and I understand that, if this shop will do it for 50-75 then fantastic... I have a buddy at the old shop I used to work who can weld so once the diffuser comes in I'll hopefully have him do it for me