Cheap Wiper Blade Refills for MK6 Jetta Sedan

dirtysouthjacket

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Premium 6MT, 2004 Jetta TDI GLS (sold)
UPDATE:
My first set of $7 refills lasted around 9-10 months.

Soooooooooo.... :D

Here is a method for how to replace your wiper blade rubbers with refills for CHEAP. $7 vs $40+ for OEM or aftermarket. Total time to complete is under 30 mins, less than 15 mins once you have done it once.

This will probably get a lot of hatorade about how I should just pony up for the OEM wiper blade replacements at the VW dealer, but.... nah. :cool:

I hate how the price of wiper blade replacements have gone through the roof over the years. Also, there is a lot of confusion on aftermarket replacements that actually swap without some work. Some of the confusion is due to the wiper manufacturers not noting whether or not the blades work for the JSW/Golf or the Sedan (they are different). There is quite a few threads already with people asking what to get and the common consensus being to purchase OEM replacements from the dealer for $40 or more.

Anyways, this a method for replacing the rubber blades themselves with refills. This was pretty easy on the older Jettas. The local auto stores however have stopped selling refills for the most part.
Oh and for the record I got exactly two years out my OEM blades in Southeast US conditions, ie summer thunderstorms and almost no snow. There wasn't any obvious damage to them, they just started making a lot of noise and streaking over time. Even after multiple cleaning.

Anyways, thats all the backstory and rambling, on to the good stuff.

Here is what I purchased... Trico 47-800 Refills off Amazon for $7.00 with free shipping (Amazon Prime). Make sure you get 8mm WIDE refills.

Step 1.
Place your key in the ignition (but don't turn it to start) and hit the wiper stalk once, this will put your blades in the service position.
Step 2.
Push down on the button in the housing to remove the wiper assembly off the arm. Take note of which length goes on which side of the car. (The 21" goes on the driver side, the 19" on the passenger)
Step 3.
Clean up your assemblies a bit, put down a towel so you don't scratch your nice table. Take off the end caps on one wiper assembly. I'd only take each one apart one at a time so you can keep track of how everything goes together. They are pretty flexible plastic and are hard to break, just twist them off.

Step 4.
Take off the 3 clips in the middle

Last edited:

dirtysouthjacket

Veteran Member
TDI
And here is the rest of the steps....

Step 5.
Spray some Windex on the center plastic clip housing. Force the two metal inserts together HARD to get them to release from the housing.

Note the notch orientation...

Step 6.
Take out your new refills. Remove the plastic clips and metal inserts that came with them and discard.

Step 7.
Cut the new rubbers to length.

Step 8.
Assembly is the reverse of the above.
Put the metal strips around the rubber refill, force back into the center housing (take note of the notches in the metal strips), put on 3 clips and end clips.

Step 9.
Put back on the car and enjoy the 3/4 of a tank of diesel you just saved!

Last edited:

dirtysouthjacket

Veteran Member
TDI
Whoops, got a little overzealous with the enter button there...

A side note... about those aeros.... Yeah these refills don't have them. The cool Euro air lip.

New on left, old OEM on right.

I still haven't found any refills 8mm wide that have the air lip that are even close to cheap. Maybe someone will turn some up. The aero portion could be cut off the old OEMs and cemented to the new style if its found to truly be needed. A little more work, but not a deal breaker.

This is only one data point, but so far I've had no issues with them missing. Even if they don't last as long because of less downforce or something, I can replace these a lot before touching the price of a new set of wiper assemblies from the dealer.

Let me know if you try this out as well and if you have any issues!

Last edited:

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Special Edition
I did the same sort of thing on my Mk5, but I bought a cheap set of wipers and had to razor blade the inserts to size. This is a much better option!
Thanks for sharing!

dirtysouthjacket

Veteran Member
TDI
No problem! I am not sure if this will work on your JSW or not, but I think it might. Maybe someone will eventually confirm.

Livefreeordie89

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Just did this, great cheap way of fixing that annoying noise my old ones were starting to make. Ill report back on how long I get out of these replacements. Also, would love to know if anyone can find the refills with the "euro lip".

dirtysouthjacket

Veteran Member
TDI
Glad you were able to try this! Its been raining off and on the last couple weeks and I've used the wipers a good bit. Still no issues!

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
This will probably get a lot of hatorade about how I should just pony up for the OEM wiper blade replacements at the VW dealer, but.... nah. :cool:
Well when you do, you just tell those that are generous with their cash, to buy you a set then. ;)

I hate how the price of wiper blade replacements have gone through the roof over the years.
Considering they are a nickle and dime item to produce. I have to give Honda points for selling factory refills for my last car for $4 each or $10 for the whole assembly.

My VW OEM blades are chattering at a mere 14 months old. :mad:

dirtysouthjacket

Veteran Member
TDI
The cheap replacements are still going strong. I'm going to be sold on using them if they end up making it 6 months total, but I suspect they will go longer. I do know that users is different environments might get different results however.

It is a shame that VW doesn't just do cheap refills like Honda.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
Any source for the little plastic clips that are mid way up the blades? I've broken a couple with my scraper...

dirtysouthjacket

Veteran Member
TDI
I've got about 6 months on the first set. Had a lot of rain lately too and they seem to be doing fine. They make a little bit of noise when it starts to dry out during a drizzle, but the OEMs did that too.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
Two very good points... I actually do know someone with a 3D printer! And I really should find a good junk yard near me, I'm sure there's other things I could find there. I'd love an extra set of rims for winter tires...

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Have you guys tried "rockauto.com"....
They list several monoblade wipers that fit..one set listed as " OEM"...range $8-12.

tjdeerslayer37

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 jetta tdi plat gray
It seems that every non-dealer wiper that people try doesn't fit in the connector on the arm. I didn't want to be a guinea pig and waste money trying different ones and replacing just the rubber part is so stupid easy that it's likely what I'll continue doing.

ahfunaki

TDI
2013 VW Jetta TDI Premium
Thank you! Did this last night. $7 shipped with Amazon prime you can't beat it.

A little tip that worked better for me though:

When you remove the end caps and slide the littler retainer clips off just pull the old rubber blade out. It's not being held in by anything other than the mounting clip at this point and is very easy to remove. Once you do this the metal supports and the mounting clip just fall away from the rubber. So you don't need windex or and hard force to remove the mounting clip.

And then for reassembly I just put the metal around the rubber. Slide one or two of the retaining clips on to hold it together then I slide the mounting clip back on. Push it all the way to the middle until it locks into the two little grooves.

I hope this makes sense for people.

dirtysouthjacket

Veteran Member
TDI
My original refills are finally starting to make some noise when there isn't much water on the windshield surface. They are still performing well and functional, just making some noise occasionally. Since its been over 9 months now, I'm very happy with them. Just ordered another set on Amazon.

amc1024

TDI
2014 TDI with 6S DSG automatic
This thread seems to have been used most recently, so I thought I would provide some additional info here. Even though I live in Pugetopolis, the closest dealer is not convenient to me. However, there is a NAPA 1/4 mile from work.

Today I bought driver's and passenger "Vista" wiper blades (not refills, the whole wiper blade) at NAPA. They come with an adapter (probably for a traditional frame), but I didn't need it. They just slid right on like the original blades. This is the first time I replaced the wiper blades, as the chatter was bad and cleaning didn't help much. 1.5 years in rainy Seattle - not too bad.

They are on sale now through the end of this month (10/2015) for $16.09 (driver) and $13.64 (passenger).

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...de-Premium-Upgrade/_/R-ACO60244319_0428534654

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...de-Premium-Upgrade/_/R-ACO60194319_0428534655

Discalimer: I have only driven back to work with them, but I did get a car wash and it was sprinkling out. Yeah, I know, but it needed to be washed. Seem to work fine.

2014 Jetta TDI sedan. I'm one of those guys. But it's not too bad. I'm on a 4-year lease, so I believe I will have options in a couple of years once we know the outcome of the exhaust fiasco.

-Adam

dirtysouthjacket

Veteran Member
TDI
This is good to know! I think for that price if they work on my car, I would jump on a pair for when I am in a rush and don't have time to disassemble my OEM blades.

Hopefully someone with a 2011-13 will come along and try these and see if the adapters work on that year range as well.

As for your final comments... don't feel like a stranger. Almost every poster in the MKVI Jetta Sedan sub-forum is affected. :D

amc1024

TDI
2014 TDI with 6S DSG automatic