Chattering Clutch

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta 1.9 Diesel GLS , Five Speed Standard Shift
About five years ago I had my clutch replaced in my 2003 Jetta. When I got it back , it was hosed! no Turbo weak brakes and a chattering in the clutch when I let it in neutral . Took it back and they addressed those issues except the chattering clutch. The owner said the mechanic must not have replaced the pilot bearing. Not long after he died and I was screwed. Doesnt anybody know how to work on cars anymore? What the F--K ? Anyways soon after I drove to Florida and back, Rockport to Stuart FL. I believe I logged about 2550 miles round trip. I believe I was getting about 50 mpg! I got back to Rockport with 3/8 a tank. Back then diesel was much cheaper. Only cost $123.50 roundtrip ! I took that trip throwing caution to the wind to see if the Jetta would make it even with the clutch that way. The clutch is still working , however now the chattering is getting louder. When in neutral thats when you hear it. When you depress the clutch it goes away. Now the chattering is so loud it almost overwhelms the sound of the diesel motor at idle. Anyone have any thoughts on this ?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Well, there is no pilot bearing, so not that. Opposite the normal symptoms of a throw out bearing, but I suppose it could be so loose that it’s catching the pressure plate when disengaged and quiets when compressed. Not having a n inspection cover sucks. Putting it in any gears makes no difference? You should find out when you pull it apart.

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, there is no pilot bearing, so not that. Opposite the normal symptoms of a throw out bearing, but I suppose it could be so loose that it’s catching the pressure plate when disengaged and quiets when compressed. Not having a n inspection cover sucks. Putting it in any gears makes no difference? You should find out when you pull it apart.
Okay no pilot bearing. Maybe I misunderstood. Shifting & driving any gear there is no chatter. Only at idle in neutral. When I press in the clutch it stops

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Take a stethoscope and put it on the steel tranny cover, then on the bell housing. Confirm where it’s coming from. Clutch or transmission

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
What clutch was put In?
I installed a G60/VR6 clutch set up when I did my auto to manual swap over 300,xxx miles ago….it chattered then and still chatterers now….I have over 427,xxx miles on it now and only in neutral. I suspect that it’s the flywheel. I forget which one causes chatter ….. the lightened or the heavy one.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Not to be a jerk, but I think your car is plagued....
happen to be able to make a video of the sound?

What clutch was put In?
I installed a G60/VR6 clutch set up when I did my auto to manual swap over 300,xxx miles ago….it chattered then and still chatterers now….I have over 427,xxx miles on it now and only in neutral. I suspect that it’s the flywheel. I forget which one causes chatter ….. the lightened or the heavy one.
That should be the Lighter clutch. The heavier clutches run smoother.

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
Take a stethoscope and put it on the steel tranny cover, then on the bell housing. Confirm where it’s coming from. Clutch or transmission
When I see my proctologist i will see if he has a stethoscope just kidding. Good idea . Thanks for the reply

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
What clutch was put In?
Did it get louder ?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I put that same sacks g60 in my golf, it chattered from the day I installed it and I never liked that noise so the next time I had to pull the engine and transmission apart I put in a sacks quiet clutch. I really like that setup. I put that same g60 that I removed from my golf into my daughters Jetta and there is no noticeable chatter, I’m not sure why.

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
Not to be a jerk, but I think your car is plagued....
happen to be able to make a video of the sound?

That should be the Lighter clutch. The heavier clutches run smoother.
Its the devils work I say! Maybe its possessed. I do live close to a Karankawa Indian Burial Site. Less then two miles. I havent tried to post any pictures or videos yet on the Forum. I will try to soon. Thanks

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
I put that same sacks g60 in my golf, it chattered from the day I installed it and I never liked that noise so the next time I had to pull the engine and transmission apart I put in a sacks quiet clutch. I really like that setup. I put that same g60 that I removed from my golf into my daughters Jetta and there is no noticeable chatter, I’m not sure why.
Did it get louder ? I believe they put a dual mass clutch in . I think that's what they call it

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
It did a little . If a dual mass set was installed then I suspect you may have an issue.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
No my g60 did not get louder it was annoying from the initial installation. If a dual mass was installed then as Steve says you likely have a problem with it. Usually starting to twist and come apart.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
When I see my proctologist i will see if he has a stethoscope just kidding. Good idea . Thanks for the reply
he, or she, would probably give a used one instead of new. That would stink

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
It did a little . If a dual mass set was installed then I suspect you may have an i
Is that a rotational chatter? My situation is a rotational chatter. Engine running neutral and at idle

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
On my daughters beetle it was a shudder when shifting as her dual mass went south. The dual mass on my Golf, that necessitated a new clutch, the g60 I didn’t like, went so long ago I forget what that was like when it went.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yep……. As soon as I pushed in clutch it was gone……but again I have a G60/VR6 installed.

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
Yep……. As soon as I pushed in clutch it was gone……but again I have a G60/VR6 installed.
Should i just let it blow or take action to replace it. It could run another 100'000 miles. Clutch is working properly its just annoying the crap out of me with the noise. When I stop at a redlight and hit neutral it sounds like I got two diesels running under the hood

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If it’s not the G60 set up and indeed a dual mass setup……I’d probably pull it…..I’ve seen pictures and heard stories when they do let go……it will then be a new clutch and a new trans…..just my .02.
I know it’s not what you wanna hear.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I’d pull it and replace it but then when I had that g60 I just didn’t like the noise which was not as bad as you’re describing.
Here’s my daughters beetle getting a new clutch, and finding the center slipped.

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
If it’s not the G60 set up and indeed a dual mass setup……I’d probably pull it…..I’ve seen pictures and heard stories when they do let go……it will then be a new clutch and a new trans…..just my .02.
I know it’s not what you wanna hear.
Ive got to post a video with sound

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Ive got to post a video with sound
Easiest way i have found is to make it a youtube video then link it here. You can make it a private video if you want then only people who have the link will be able to view it. Aka people who view this thread.

Also, I have to agree with everyone else. If its unbearably loud I would tear it down and figure out whats wrong. With the increasing rarity and prices of alh transmissions (auto's too for that matter) its not worth it IMO. Waying the chances that if it does break it may or may not hurt the trans, may or may not leave you stranded, and absolutely will cost you more money if it breaks it's way easier to say just fix it now then to try and squeeze by.
Towing fee (if you don't have that AAA stuff, or a close by friend that can tow), clutch expense, possibly trans expense =$$$
New clutch, trans mounts, and a weekend of your time =$

Last edited:

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
Easiest way i have found is to make it a youtube video then link it here. You can make it a private video if you want then only people who have the link will be able to view it. Aka people who view this thread.

Also, I have to agree with everyone else. If its unbearably loud I would tear it down and figure out whats wrong. With the increasing rarity and prices of alh transmissions (auto's too for that matter) its not worth it IMO. Waying the chances that if it does break it may or may not hurt the trans, may or may not leave you stranded, and absolutely will cost you more money if it breaks it's way easier to say just fix it now then to try and squeeze by.
Towing fee (if you don't have that AAA stuff, or a close by friend that can tow), clutch expense, possibly trans expense =$$$
New clutch, trans mounts, and a weekend of your time =$
Ive noticed that too. Very hard to find any TDI w/mechanical fuel pump which I believe was in the ALH until 2003 1/2 . I would probably get another one. Im a glutton for punishment. Anyways I had my son out there with me for him to hear the sound. We were listening to the chatter at idle which is about 8-900 rpm . Now this we just discovered , when you press the throttle and go above idle speed the chatter stops! So press the gas and hold it at 1100 rpm and above no chatter! Just found that out . What da ya think?