Charge Cooler stuck on. How hard should I pry or pull?

Jammer864

TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
2014 Passat TDI. Replacing oil filter housing due to leaking antifreeze. I have the charge cooler loose and can remove it about 1/4 inch before it gets stuck. Ive tried pounding on it with a blunt tool but its stopped moving and I dont want to break it. Can anyone give me an idea of how hard it was to remove theirs?

d2freeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Did you remove the bolt at top of the cooler, bolt goes in from the side behind the inlet # 3 in picture below.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
if not his that bolt with your blunt tool, see if it moves ;)

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium
What is so curious is that I just had to replace the same thing on my 2014 Passat. Car started hemorrhaging coolant at roughly 1 gallon per 100 miles. Had to drive with a gallon of distilled water and refill the reservoir every 30 miles to keep going. As everyone else had, the small plastic channel that holds coolant gasket in place broke, causing the gasket to move. The hardest part for me was actually prying the coolant lines off the intercooler. Had to modify ErWIN procedure and remove coolant hose from the intercooler pump instead, because one of these hoses would not let loose from intercooler. I will post another thread, but the interesting thing is how much G13 coolant flakes/corrosion I found, my oil cooler was completely blocked!

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
I had to replace the metal coolant pipe running top to bottom on the front of the engine to solve a coolant leak. It coroded through where the bracket was tack welded to the pipe. Required charge cooler and rad fan removal to access. Not too horrible.