charbroiled burgers dirtier than semis

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
pretty interesting
New California Study Finds More Particulate Emissions From Charbroiled Burgers Than Diesel Trucks
September 21, 2012 // Diesel Technology Forum

Contact: Steve Hansen (301) 668-7230 shansen@dieselforum.org
“For comparison, an 18-wheeler diesel engine truck would have to drive 143 miles on the freeway to put out the same mass of particulates as a single charbroiled hamburger patty.” - Bill Welch, the principle engineer, University of California-Riverside
Washington, D.C. – The major advancements in clean diesel technology have been highlighted in a new and unique study by the University of California-Riverside that found commercially cooked hamburgers emit more particulate matter than 2007-2010 model year clean diesel trucks.
The UC-Riverside study was funded by the South Coast Air Quality Management District and the San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District. The study was first reported by CBS-TV Los Angeles.
“While the primary focus of this new study was on emissions from commercial charbroilers, this comparison clearly illustrates the significant improvements from clean diesel technology on California’s air quality. In fact, the study also found that the particulate matter (PM) inventory from commercial cooking is more than double the inventory from heavy-duty diesel trucks.” said Allen Schaeffer, the Executive Director of the Diesel Technology Forum.
“I will say this is an extremely unusual comparison. Generally, clean diesels are matched up against natural gas, hybrids or electric vehicles for emissions or fuel efficiency tests. This is the first time we’ve gone head-to-head against fast food,” Schaeffer said.
“But more of these kinds of comparisons are likely, especially In California, where clean diesel technology has been such a success story. Today in California the majority of particulate emissions come from brake and tire wear, with diesel emissions making up small and declining fraction.”
New Technology Has Reduced Diesel Particulate Emissions By 99%
“In the United States, emissions from heavy-duty diesel trucks and buses have been reduced by 99 percent for nitrogen oxides (NOx) - an ozone precursor - and particulate emissions. A key part of reducing emissions has been the shift to ultra-low sulfur diesel (ULSD) fuel that has been available since 2006. This change in fuel specification reduced sulfur emissions by 97 percent – from 500 PM to 15 PM - and enables the use of advanced emissions control technologies. Similar advancements are taking place in off-road engines and machines,” Schaeffer said.
“Across the U.S. emissions of particulate matter from diesel engines are declining and make up less than six percent of all particulate emissions.
“Because of the investments in new technology it now takes 60 of today’s technology trucks to emit the same level of PM emissions as one truck built in 1988. In addition, new farm tractors and construction equipment of all shapes and sizes are now at, or are moving toward, near-zero emissions for particulate matter.”
2012 Studies Highlight Advancements And Importance Of Clean Diesel Technology
Schaeffer said several recent scientific and academic research studies have highlighted the important advancements in clean diesel technology:
- On August 2, 2012, a new report was released - “Advancing Technology for America’s Transportation Future” – which was authored by the National Petroleum Council (NPC) for the U.S. Department of Energy. The NPC report states: “Diesel engines will remain the powertrain of choice for (heavy duty) vehicles for decades to come because of their power and efficiency. There are, however, opportunities to improve the technology. Significant fuel economy improvements in diesel powered trucks are possible. Indeed, the fuel economy (mpg) for new Class 7&8 HD vehicles, which consume more than 70% of the fuel in the trucking fleet, could be doubled.”
- In a special presentation on May 24, 2012 to the California Air Resource Board (ARB) in Sacramento, California, leading international scientists discussed the key short-lived agents black carbon (soot) and methane. Findings presented to the ARB indicated a 50 percent reduction of black carbon in ambient air over the past 20 years. Mary Nichols, Chairman of the ARB stated: “It is encouraging to see that ARB’s diesel regulations, while designed to improve public health are also addressing climate change.”
- A study released on April 12, 2012 by the Health Effects Institute (HEI) provides important new insights into the emissions and health effects of the new diesel, known as the Advanced Collaborative Emissions Study (ACES). These and related findings were recently presented at a CARB Research Seminar.
- In its March 2012 Report to Congress on Black Carbon (BC), the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) stated: “[T]he United States will achieve substantial BC emissions reductions by 2030, largely due to controls on new mobile diesel engines.“ The EPA report also recognizes the challenges in reducing emissions from both mobile and stationary diesel engines in these developing countries since they typically do not have ready access to cleaner low sulfur fuels that are required for most advanced emissions control technologies.
- New research released April 23, 2012 from North Carolina State University - “Real-World Measurement and Evaluation of Heavy Duty Truck Duty Cycles, Fuels, and Emission Control Technologies” - shows that federal requirements governing diesel engines of new tractor trailer trucks have resulted in major cuts in emissions of particulate matter (PM) and nitrogen oxides (NOx). Trucks in compliance with newer standards showed a 98 percent decrease in NOx and 94 percent reduction in PM emissions.
ABOUT THE DIESEL TECHNOLOGY FORUM
The Diesel Technology Forum is a non-profit national organization dedicated to raising awareness about the importance of diesel engines, fuel and technology. Forum members are leaders in clean diesel technology and represent the three key elements of the modern clean-diesel system: advanced engines, vehicles and equipment, cleaner diesel fuel and emissions-control systems. For more information visit www.dieselforum.org.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Maybe. I believe LA has prohibited use of charcoal fires for some time. But this is kind of like when people complain that gasoline costs more than bottled water. Why is that comparison useful?

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
... Why is that comparison useful?
I think its interesting that so many anti-diesel folks envision these soot belching trucks and how harmful they are for the environment and yet the new technology enables these to be cleaner than the backyard BBQ.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Maybe. I believe LA has prohibited use of charcoal fires for some time. But this is kind of like when people complain that gasoline costs more than bottled water. Why is that comparison useful?
No, the county of LA, in their finite wisdom in (1990's) to meet the 2000 SIP (State Implementation Plan), banned the manufacture of certain chemicals in the basin. Charcoal lighter fluid was one of them. They really didn't want to go after the voter's and cars, however (remember: re-election stuff).

But all that did was move the manufacturing to Nevada, Mexico or elsewhere. Gotta love the SIP (plan to meet federal clean air standards in non-attainment areas) - mobile sources (trucks, cars, buses, lawnmowers, etc) are responsible for ~80% of the ozone creation in LA, so the state goes after chemical plants and hamburger joints in 2000.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Charcoal lights much better with a cup of non-ethanol 87 octane gas. Ready to cook in minutes :)

pinkertonfloyd

Veteran Member
TDI
14' Subie Outback FMR: 12' Jetta TDI/P+N
A "Charbroiler" doesn't use Charcoal, it uses Natural Gas...
Basically the average BurgerKing is worse than a whole fleet for diesel trucks.

Of course the CARB folks will be "WE NEED TO OUTLAW BURGERS"... rather than think how clean Diesels have gotten.

I've already gotten comments from prius drivers over my "Dirty" Diesel.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
No they won't as then the members of CARB won't get their kickbacks. What they'll do is mandate smog checks for grills, all grills sold in the CPR will have to meet CARB standards, etc.

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel
...I've already gotten comments from prius drivers over my "Dirty" Diesel.
That is the most agonizingly persistent canard out there! It's almost impossible to have a discussion about new diesel vehicles without someone bringing up the "there's-no-such-thing-as-a-clean-diesel" nonsense. Almost no one seems to be aware of the difference in current diesel technology and 1980s technology.

Current diesel technology is as clean or cleaner than any technology out there, gas-hybrids included, especially if you include upstream emissions.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
I've already gotten comments from prius drivers over my "Dirty" Diesel.
I've only met one militant Prius Dick. He was walking in front of me, looked at my car, held his nose and pointed at my car. I hopped out and screamed "*** is your problem *******?". He started running :D

Mark Dempter

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 MK4 TDI Golf, 1997 MK3 Jetta
I like my slow charcoal grilled "Diesel Burgers" as my neighbours call them.

Prius people can't share the same taste... They eat Veggie burgers cooked in the microwave.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Dismayed

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL-Premium TDI
No, the county of LA, in their finite wisdom in (1990's) to meet the 2000 SIP (State Implementation Plan), banned the manufacture of certain chemicals in the basin. Charcoal lighter fluid was one of them. They really didn't want to go after the voter's and cars, however (remember: re-election stuff).

But all that did was move the manufacturing to Nevada, Mexico or elsewhere. Gotta love the SIP (plan to meet federal clean air standards in non-attainment areas) - mobile sources (trucks, cars, buses, lawnmowers, etc) are responsible for ~80% of the ozone creation in LA, so the state goes after chemical plants and hamburger joints in 2000.
The LA basis is prone to air inversions, so it makes sense to manufacture certain chemicals elsewhere. But, yes, less use of internal combustion engines would help, too.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Really, the answer for the LA basin is to ban human settlement, but it's WAY too late for that.

Now, the answer is to restrict VOC emissions as much as possible, and ignore NOx emissions (because the NOx emissions will reduce the effect of the VOCs). This means ban gassers.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
I prefer rotisserie semi myself.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Really, the answer for the LA basin is to ban human settlement, but it's WAY too late for that.

Now, the answer is to restrict VOC emissions as much as possible, and ignore NOx emissions (because the NOx emissions will reduce the effect of the VOCs). This means ban gassers.
Just need to dry up the Sierra Nevada Mountains (less snow) and reduce the Colorado river to a trickle that far south and you'll get your wish. Could pick up a big house on the cheap in LA then. ;)

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just need to dry up the Sierra Nevada Mountains (less snow) and reduce the Colorado river to a trickle that far south and you'll get your wish. Could pick up a big house on the cheap in LA then. ;)
Nah, once we up here in Alta California can get shed of everything from Sacramento on south, we can just raise the price of our water to $200/gallon. If they don't like it, well just build desalinization plants all along their coast.

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
No they won't as then the members of CARB won't get their kickbacks. What they'll do is mandate smog checks for grills, all grills sold in the CPR will have to meet CARB standards, etc.
They will set up Emissions Testing for BBQ's, every two years you will have to bring your BBQ into a Certified Emissions Center where they will charge you $57.50 per test. If your BBQ fails the test, you will have to take a notice to your local BBQ service center to have it serviced so that it either meets emissions standards or if it will not, be disposed of in a proper manner.

Of course they will make the test requirements harder and harder to pass each year so as to weed out the older BBQ's and force you to buy a new one.

In order to test each BBQ, they will have to cook 10 Hamburgers and 10 Hot Dogs per BBQ. The food used will then have to be tested and destroyed so as to not invalidate the results.

MrVermin

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Are you SURE you're not a member of CARB?

You also forgot that only CARB-certified repair parts like wheels, handles, briquette grate, etc., can be used. Physically and functionally they are no different than non-CARB parts, but that CARB sticker will add at least $300 to the price of the part.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
If you pee in your yard in California do you get arrested? In Wisconsin it's kinda expected :D All that travel between the grill, cooler and bathroom is just too much, especially as the night wears on.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
They will set up Emissions Testing for BBQ's, every two years you will have to bring your BBQ into a Certified Emissions Center where they will charge you $57.50 per test. If your BBQ fails the test, you will have to take a notice to your local BBQ service center to have it serviced so that it either meets emissions standards or if it will not, be disposed of in a proper manner.

Of course they will make the test requirements harder and harder to pass each year so as to weed out the older BBQ's and force you to buy a new one.

In order to test each BBQ, they will have to cook 10 Hamburgers and 10 Hot Dogs per BBQ. The food used will then have to be tested and destroyed so as to not invalidate the results.

MrVermin
Perhaps the cure for the CARB BBQ is to BBQ CARB? Surely it can't be that easy.

Bill

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
If you pee in your yard in California do you get arrested? In Wisconsin it's kinda expected :D All that travel between the grill, cooler and bathroom is just too much, especially as the night wears on.
Only if you upset the natural habitat of the speckled blueberry moth during cocoon time and you pee pH is greater than 7.25. You do have to register with the state water commission to obtain the permit to pee outdoors during certain months and only if it is on your property. This is all reported on your city, state, local and personal property tax forms.