Changing to hybrid oil pan this coming weekend

OmahaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB TDI 5-speed
I own a 2005 NB TDI

I've searched and found lots of info but wanted to ask again as I'm a little intimidated by it to be honest. Has anyone recently replaced their oil pan and have any 2005 NB TDI motor-specific tips or tricks they learned while doing the job that they can share?

Thanks, I appreciate all the help.

-Bob

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
All the EA113 engine oil pans are essentially arranged the same way. ALH, BEW, BRM, AEG, AVH, AZG, BEV, AWP, AWW, etc. So any instructions for any of those (which, in a nutshell, is ANY 4 cylinder A4 chassis Golf, Jetta, or New Beetle sold in North America) will be the same.

Now, the two-piece oil pan was not originally installed on your BEW engine, it was on some of the later 2.0L and 1.8t engines (like the 2004 Jetta BEV 2.0L I have here today). But it will attach the same. Tricky part is getting at the two bolts closest to the flywheel end of the engine. I use a 10mm 1/4 drive wobble socket to crack them loose, then a long ball-ended 5mm Allen bit to spin them out. I only use Snap-On tools, so I never run across any problems with fitment, but I have seen people struggle with Brand X tools with this job, and mess the rear main seal carrier up so bad they ended up having to remove the transmission.

The rear main seal carrier is plastic, and those two bolts have brass inserts in the plastic that they thread into. Works fine, but is fragile if handled incorrectly. I install those two bolts, by hand with my ball-ended Allen, last, after all the rest of the bolts, including the 3 bellhouse bolts, are tightened. That way, you won't be struggling to get the holes lined up, they'll already be there.

Only use the gray sealant, and only use a tiny 3mm bead. If it oozes out too much on the outside, it'll ooze out too much on the inside, and boogers will come loose and clog up the oil pickup. Pay close attention to how the factory did it before you take the pan off. It should look the same when you are finished. Make sure everything is squeeky clean and dry before you put the pan up, too.

Also, the Allen drain plug that the two-piece pans use is prone to rounding out if overtorqued. If it were my car, I'd probably just plan on replacing it at every service. While I've never mangled one, I have had to take an air chisel to far too many of them over the years from quicky lube places and the like messing them up.

Last edited:

OmahaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB TDI 5-speed
Thanks as always oilhammer. Could you recommend the specific gray sealant you spoke of?
As far as the drain plug, is it the same thread as a stock plug? I have a few extras.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I either use the OEM stuff from Volkswagen, or the GM stuff (AC Delco brand, part number 88864346 ).

Regular plug won't work, because the 19mm hex gets in the way of the lip.