Changing Timing Belt: Loosening the High Pressure Fuel Pump Sprocket

RogueVW

TDI
mk7
I am do the 130K service on my mk7 and need to change the timing belt. I have engine at TDC and have done the following:

1. Crankshaft locked
2. Cam shaft sprocket is locked and loosened allowing a bit of travel.

Next, I need to loosen the HPFP sprocket. I am following the manual which states to do the following:
  • Lock the hub on HPFP with the Locking Pin (T10492).
  • Insert the locking pin in the hub prong - 2 - and the rear hole - 1 - in the auxiliary components bracket.
  • Pull the locking pin and loosen the HPFP sprocket nut. Before completely loosening, replace the locking pin.
  • Loosen the nut on HPFP sprocket approximately 90°.

I followed the instructions above but when the nut is loosened, the sprocket does not spin. It remains locked in place.

I think I need to lightly tap on the sprocket with a hammer to free. Has anyone else run into this and can provide a suggestion?

Jonathan

RogueVW

TDI
mk7
Seems like I need a gear puller to loosen the sprocket. Does anyone know if one exists for this purpose?

Thanks

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
Stock 2015 Golf SW S Manual TDI
Gently tap
Penetrative oil
If that doesn't work, just tighten it back. Most likely you don't need to adjust that anyway, and a small misalignment is acceptable.

RogueVW

TDI
mk7
Thanks. I was able to free it up by just rotating. Wish I thought of some oil. Got her all put back together. Thanks for your help.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
The alignment tab is stamped to the back of the pulley so you have to get some leverage between the accessory bracket that the pump is mounted to and the back of the alignment tab (not between the pulley and the tab). As said above though, a little off does not affect operation according to the erWin manual but still nice to get spot on if you can.