Changing the oil to often?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I agree with your implications.

You were testing while the bearings were newer too. After higher mileages have appeared, and friction is up, I suggest the 40-weight oil.
The bearings were not especially new. 96k miles in April 2005, 154k miles in April 2006, 213k miles in April 2007. So the engine was properly broken-in before this little experiment. This engine has been run on Mobil 5w40 since new, M1 or Delvac 1, except for that single episode. I do not plan to use anything else, ever, nor do I recommend anything else except for engines still under warranty.

Last edited:

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
The pumping losses associated with using a thicker lubricant increase as a function of engine rpms. So for a low rpm diesel you won't see a big difference in fuel efficiency between a 30wt & 40wt. But for a high rpm, four cylinder gas engine, you can gain significant efficiency by using low viscosity oils. This is why most of the domestic & Asian manufacturers have moved to 20wt oils. Toyota for example, now specs a 0w-20 synthetic for their new engines and it's back speced for some older models as well.

Look for 0w-20 and 0w-30 (for gas turbos), to become the standard in the next 5-10 years....

TS

Last edited:

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
The pumping losses associated with using a thicker increase as a function of engine rpms. So for a low rpm diesel you won't see a big difference in fuel efficiency. But for a high rpm, four cylinder gas engine, you can gain significant efficiency by using low viscosity synthetics. This is why most of the domestic & Asian manufacturers have moved to 20wt oils. Toyota for example, now specs a 0w-20 synthetic for their new engines and it's back speced for some older models as well.

Look for 0w-20 and 0w-30 (for gas turbos), to become the standard in the next 5-10 years....

TS
For sure, even in normally aspirated gassers. I have been using Mobil One 0w20 (with 5w20 spec oils AND with 20,000 miles OCI's) seamlessly in a 2004 Honda Civic (106,000 miles) . In fact Honda has had 10,000 miles OCI's with CONVENTIONAL (5w20) oil !!!???. Toyota has been TOTALLY late (to missing) to the party on this issue.

0w30 came out backward compatible to 5w30 (Mobil One and with GM 4178 M (Corvette V8 high temp specifications). It is also seamless for Chevrolet Corvette recommended 15,000 miles OCI's.

Last edited:

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Ruking,

Toyotas' initial response when they had sludging issues was to reduce their recommended service intervals from 7500 to 5000 miles, rather than simply spec a better (read: synthetic) lube. Their new recommendation is 10,000 miles/1 year with the 0w-20.

TS

eddif

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD Automatic
Ruking,

Toyotas' initial response when they had sludging issues was to reduce their recommended service intervals from 7500 to 5000 miles, rather than simply spec a better (read: synthetic) lube. Their new recommendation is 10,000 miles/1 year with the 0w-20.

TS
TooSlick

Thank goodness you have a sense of putting up with this all.

In the case of VW they just chose to try and design a custom oil instead of going back and fixing the mechanical problems (narrow lobes, unsupported cam bearings).
..................................And.............................
VW decided to go for EOCI in spite of the wear materials that may be being released at cam bearing / follower oiling failure. Wear materials that may not show up in OA. And if the wear materials do show up in OA, most people will not choose to replace their cam bearings before critical wear really starts to set in (especially for a BEW).

Why not send the car to have cam bearings replaced when copper and Fe go up (especially BEW)? Oh I know: it is just a great mystery and all we can do is wait for the eventual cam / follower failure that is coming. You have cancer, but I suggest you do nothing for it (just live more and worry less).

We do have options. One is use the great oil of your choice in early miles to maximize fuel mileages, but when OA begins to show problems, switch to a thicker oil with the best chemistry out there. I suggest mechanical solutions too.

Good oil helps. Good engineering helps too. Appropriate mechanical fixes that work. Bone stock the cams fail. Will VW be offended if you do something better than stock to the car? Perhaps a good oil is not stock. If it does not come over the VW counter is it aftermarket? If you modify their cam bearings is it not stock?

We will get there.

eddif

eddif

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD Automatic
The sludging issue can have several components. I know we are not talking about sludging but it might help to address this since it was mentioned.

Often synthetic oil is shown as the solution, and it can be a soulution.

Sometimes a crankcase ventillation system change can help. There are different components that sometimes replace stock parts.

Sometimes an internal leak in the manifold plenum gasket causes an additional vacuum source inside the engine. Engine combustion blow-by gases, oil vapor, and air from the crank case filter/breather may be drawn into wrong areas.

Sometimes there can be mechanical failures or design errors that are involved.

I think the industry looks at all aspects to try and resolve the problem of sludging: design, mechanical failure, oil additives, flushes etc.

We should look at all aspects of our cam failures too.

eddif

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
A properly designed engine should NOT require a super special motor oil in order to be reliable. Commercial diesels have always functioned normally on generic, API spec diesel oils. I see no reason why European engines couldn't run on generic, ACEA (in this case "C3-08", low SAPS), lubricants. Meeting these standards already requires testing in a number of different, gas/diesel European engines. Note that earlier TDI's allowed the use of API/CG-4, ACEA B4, or VW 505.00 oils.

TS

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
A properly designed engine should NOT require a super special motor oil in order to be reliable. Commercial diesels have always functioned normally on generic, API spec diesel oils. I see no reason why European engines couldn't run on generic, ACEA (in this case "C3-08", low SAPS), lubricants. Meeting these standards already requires testing in a number of different, gas/diesel European engines. Note that earlier TDI's allowed the use of API/CG-4, ACEA B4, or VW 505.00 oils.

TS
Come on Ted, it's called power per liter which is why the smaller diesels require such extreme lubricants and design requirements.

Let me put it in terms you can understand, if a rocket engine 1/2 the size of an SSME put out the same thrust would it not require some if not all unique design requirements?

Comparing an HSDI engine to an OTR engine spinning at 1/3 the rpm and putting out less than 1/2 the power per liter is hardly a comparison. Not to mention the smaller engine has to meet the more stringent emissions despite the higher output in a smaller lighter package...double whamy.

eddif

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD Automatic
It's called engineering excellence at times. It is facing the oil available and building toward that end. Taking an existing engine, narrowing the cam lobes and not supporting the bearings is not exactly the best way to use existing oils. A special oil then might be needed. The 5W-30 505.01 (sold across the VW parts counter) was not special enough for my car.

Lets consider fixings some of the mechanical glitches.

eddif

eddif

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD Automatic
Detergents and dispersents in the context of oils should not be completely lumped in together especially with long drain oils.

Detergents have a much shorter life cycle and evaporate early in the oils life ie 1000-3000 miles. These simply remove formations left over from the previous oil change and pull them into suspension where the dispersents take over and prevent them from rebonding with the engines surfaces.

The reason for a short life of detergency is that it reduces the ability of EP (Extreme Pressure) additives from bonding with the metal surfaces. EP additives are what protect the critical areas that do not rely on boundary layer lubrication ie lifters, pistons skirts, rings etc.

The dispersents live on for the life of the oil and prevent clumping of soot, and retain combustion by-products in suspension in the oil without permitting them to adhere to the inside of the motor. The bigger advantage to dispersents is that they do not prevent the EP additives from bonding to the engines high pressure regions which is critical in achieving the performance required of extended drain oils. Dispersent effectiveness is generally tested using soot loading tests where the concentration of soot is increased to around 8-9% then the engine is run of for 500 hours to see if there is any adverse wear. Dispersents are also the reason why soot remains "dispersed" in the oil and prevents clumping that can result in conglomerated particles large enough to cause damage to the high pressure regions of the motor.

You can to a limited extent lump the two into the same category, however only one remains effective after the initial 1000-3000 miles that being the dispersents.
I am looking ahead to cooler weather oil changes with the 15W-50 oil. Not cold weather, because I will go back to 5W-40 TDT.

Please when and if I get an answer to this, let us drop this subject. I think it might apply to the 5W-40 oil as well but it is just a question and not intended to become a thread off track thing.

The OP in one sense is switching to a higher viscosity oil and the time to drain at oil change time would be longer. I have switched to 15W-50 and the time to have the oil drain down will be much longer. I suppose that the fact that I change with the engine as hot as possible is best.

Now here is sort of how this all fits together. Your statement:

"Detergents have a much shorter life cycle and evaporate early in the oils life ie 1000-3000 miles. These simply remove formations left over from the previous oil change and pull them into suspension where the dispersents take over and prevent them from rebonding with the engines surfaces.

The reason for a short life of detergency is that it reduces the ability of EP (Extreme Pressure) additives from bonding with the metal surfaces. EP additives are what protect the critical areas that do not rely on boundary layer lubrication ie lifters, pistons skirts, rings etc."

Now it would seem to a hick living in Mississippi backwoods that shortly after adding detergents and getting the formations left over into dispersion would be the time to change oil.

Why load the engine up with detergents at the beginning of fresh oil use? Why not add a bottle of detergent right before an oil change (maybe with a new filter) and get the contaminants out of the engine.

Like I say now I am a simple thinking fellow from the back-woods and might not be able to follow logic.

Next, if detergents harm EP additives, why add the detergents right at the time when the new additives are added?

Just being an old red neck. It would seem an oil would have a moderate detergent at foil change time and use a kicker at the end of the oil life to remove the deposits. Just being dumb and all.

So Amsoil sells / does a flush (?). Is this what they do? Help a fellow think through all this.

I do respect your oiling thoughts.

eddif

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Just to clarify, in case other newbies drop by: Mobil 1 15w50 does not carry any API diesel ratings, nor any VAG diesel ratings, nor any Daimler diesel ratings. It is not recommended by any TDI Club gurus. Eddif is running an experiment, on his own. I suggest that we withhold judgement until after he's posted some used-oil test results. But in the meantime i will continue to advise TDI owners that Mobil 1 in the 5w40 viscosity is a near-perfect synthetic oil for year-round use, just about everywhere except maybe in the extreme arctic climate.

eddif

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD Automatic
Just to clarify, in case other newbies drop by: Mobil 1 15w50 does not carry any API diesel ratings, nor any VAG diesel ratings, nor any Daimler diesel ratings. It is not recommended by any TDI Club gurus. Eddif is running an experiment, on his own. I suggest that we withhold judgement until after he's posted some used-oil test results. But in the meantime i will continue to advise TDI owners that Mobil 1 in the 5w40 viscosity is a near-perfect synthetic oil for year-round use, just about everywhere except maybe in the extreme arctic climate.
In a modern sense you are correct.

Older ratings
5W-40 M1 TDT.. API SM-SL-SJ
15W-50 M1 ...... API SM-SL-CF
I am looking for response to wear just like the other testing I did. There is another person running the same test and he may be into OA. I have considered OA, but I usually find excuses not to.
Dimitri16V is going to post a 10K UOA (edit)
eddif

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
In a modern sense you are correct.

Older ratings
5W-40 M1 TDT.. API SM-SL-SJ
15W-50 M1 ...... API SM-SL-CF
I am looking for response to wear just like the other testing I did. There is another person running the same test and he may be into OA. I have considered OA, but I usually find excuses not to.
Dimitri16V is going to post a 10K UOA (edit)
eddif
The "S" in "SM" does not actually stand for "spark" and the "C" in CJ-4 does not actually stand for "compression", but that is what they are -- one for gas engines and the other for diesel.

Mobil 1 5w40 carries a CJ-4 rating -- plus a handful of lesser ones, but they are irrelevant. It is designed for light diesels.

Mobil 1 15w50 has no diesel ratings, unless you count CF and that's so ancient as to be meaningless. I would not put a CF-only-rated oil in a Rabbit diesel from the 1970s and would certainly not use it in my TDI.

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
The post about detergents only lasting 3000 miles is complete & utter nonsense. If this were true you'd develop high levels of engine deposits in no time. Calcium & Magnesium are multi functional, detergent/dispersant additives. The latest CJ-4 oils also contain some ashless dispersants since the overall ash level is capped at 1%. The reason for testing the TBN is to monitor the amount of reserve detergency in the oil, which is often the limiting factor in oil life....

TS

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
You can run your oil with 0 TBN left and no problems. Depends much on diesel quality when you run it out and how really you need it.

eddif

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD Automatic
The "S" in "SM" does not actually stand for "spark" and the "C" in CJ-4 does not actually stand for "compression", but that is what they are -- one for gas engines and the other for diesel.

Mobil 1 5w40 carries a CJ-4 rating -- plus a handful of lesser ones, but they are irrelevant. It is designed for light diesels.

Mobil 1 15w50 has no diesel ratings, unless you count CF and that's so ancient as to be meaningless. I would not put a CF-only-rated oil in a Rabbit diesel from the 1970s and would certainly not use it in my TDI.

I said you were correct in a modern sense. I understand the rating system.

Do you understand that the effective load bearing area of the cam berings is reduced by the lack of aluminum behind the bearings? Do you understand that this reduced load bearing area needs a higher viscosity oil? Do you unlderstand that if I drive to town there are two oils in town that address the need. Mobil 1 15W-50 and Mystik 15W-50 synthetic blend. Which would you have me use for experimentation? Will you pay for a better oil for me to use?

If the testing shows a benefit, someone can search out a custom oil from somewhere that closer meets VW specifications. I realize there are some 5W-40 oils that just about fill the need, but the oil gurus have not been able to convince the crowds to use them. Perhaps this effort in testing will help show the need for high shear oil and arrive at a better result everyone will accept.

It is a total mess and I know it. I can shut off the VW specifications and see the cam-bearing area need. I can understand the pumping loss is in conflict with fuel mileage, and still see the cam-bearing viscosity need. Unless I know the wear results I will not have a source of information. The only source of this information (in my knowledge) is the experimentation that Dimitri16V and eddif are doing (independently). Dimitri16V will give the UOA results, and eddif will look at wear. Dimitri16V already has wear (sorry). Eddif is not doing UOA (sorry). We need a few more testors, but that is in conflict with something else (I am sure).

I believe other countries have the oils I need. I also know someone decided NA does not need these oils.

If you and I both worked at a research facility, I hope we could compliment each other. If we just sat around and argued each day nothing would be happening. Our boss might make the decision of what to do with our test results. The results might be a 10W-40 oil that more meets the needs of the VW TDI PD and becomes the new certified specification. They might fire one or the both of us.

Research is not for everyone. I am sorry mine is so redneck.

eddif

eddif

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD Automatic
The post about detergents only lasting 3000 miles is complete & utter nonsense. If this were true you'd develop high levels of engine deposits in no time. Calcium & Magnesium are multi functional, detergent/dispersant additives. The latest CJ-4 oils also contain some ashless dispersants since the overall ash level is capped at 1%. The reason for testing the TBN is to monitor the amount of reserve detergency in the oil, which is often the limiting factor in oil life....

TS
Could you expand the thoughts on how Calcium and Magnesium are multi functional.

The post (in blue) did not fit my limited thinking process, but then I am from Mississippi.

Once upon a time oil extenders used?? Wha?? Solvent?? Is this the product that got mixed into the (blue) post instead of Calcium and Magnesium.

eddif

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI

TS
Dispersants last the life of the oil, detergants only last the first 1000-3000 miles based on heating cycles.

Too often the two are lumped into the same category which is misleading.

Dispersants are what prevent the soot and other combustion by-products from re-adhering to the internal surfaces of the engine.

Dispersants are what seperate the diesel oils from the gasoline engine oils by virtue of the diesel oils having higher levels of the additives in addition to stronger initial detergency to initially clean the motor.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
Could you expand the thoughts on how Calcium and Magnesium are multi functional.

The post (in blue) did not fit my limited thinking process, but then I am from Mississippi.

Once upon a time oil extenders used?? Wha?? Solvent?? Is this the product that got mixed into the (blue) post instead of Calcium and Magnesium.

eddif
It's not that simple, calcium and magesium may be the obvious item that is detected.

It's like saying that you detected flour in a baked good. What type of flour, bleached, cake, course grind, unbleached (you get the point) The difference in the end result is that one was cake the other was bread...two different functions, same common factor (flour) but it is near impossible to determine how that additive was prepared to start with.

You may be able to see calcium or magnesium but how they were prepared in the additive package will vary greatly especially in how they function in the package as a whole.

Thats also why arbitrarily adding additive to any engine oil is not a good idea, you could impact how the additives function together and more than likely reduce the overall effectiveness of the entire additive package.

Nothing worse than expecting cake and getting bread.

Last edited:

eddif

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD Automatic
It's not that simple, calcium and magesium may be the obvious item that is detected.

It's like saying that you detected flour in a baked good. What type of flour, bleached, cake, course grind, unbleached (you get the point) The difference in the end result is that one was cake the other was bread...two different functions, same common factor (flour) but it is near impossible to determine how that additive was prepared to start with.

You may be able to see calcium or magnesium but how they were prepared in the additive package will vary greatly especially in how they function in the package as a whole.

Thats also why arbitrarily adding additive to any engine oil is not a good idea, you could impact how the additives function together and more than likely reduce the overall effectiveness of the entire additive package.

Nothing worse than expecting cake and getting bread.
I sure realize this is all not simple. This is why I am asking for a little expansion on what is happening.

I have heard we once had aromatics in oil and fuel for certain reasons. This process is falling out of practice for various reasons. If they are included in the additives do they decrease with time?

I am open to dropping the whole thing, but I would like a little more involved description.

I know people who are gluten intolerant. Corn bread (a baked product) is made mostly of corn meal, but wheat flour is in corn bread mix. The kind of wheat flour may make some difference, but the fact that it is wheat is the main concern. I can accept your model of baked goods, but the gluten intolerant person has trouble with your model.

Oil is mostly base with an additive package. Could you tell us what particular additive is decreasing and which particular additive (or additive complex) dispersant is remaing strong?

eddif

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Detergents & dispersants perform complementary functions in a fully formulated engine oil. The detergents minimize high temp turbocharger & piston deposits (carbonacous substances), as well as varnish on valvetrain components & piston skirts. Dispersants address primarily low temp deposits (sludge, gum), as well as suspending soot particles and dispersing them, so they don't clump together. Soot particles tend to be electrostatically attracted to one another and agglomerated soot will cause a rapid increase in viscosity and eventual filter plugging. These clumped particles also degrade the very thin anti-wear films formed by the ZDDP on ferrous (iron bearing) materials such as valvetrain parts and cylinder walls.

The effectiveness of detergents & dispersants slowly degrades over time after the oil is put into service. When they reach a certain threshold - as determined by TBN, soot concentration, viscosity increase, oxidation/nitration, etc - the oil should be changed. There is a certain amount of subjectivity to this endpoint and in "reading" oil analysis results & trend data.

TS

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Candy White Jetta, DSG
I said you were correct in a modern sense. I understand the rating system.

Do you understand that the effective load bearing area of the cam berings is reduced by the lack of aluminum behind the bearings? Do you understand that this reduced load bearing area needs a higher viscosity oil? Do you unlderstand that if I drive to town there are two oils in town that address the need. Mobil 1 15W-50 and Mystik 15W-50 synthetic blend. Which would you have me use for experimentation? Will you pay for a better oil for me to use?

If the testing shows a benefit, someone can search out a custom oil from somewhere that closer meets VW specifications. I realize there are some 5W-40 oils that just about fill the need, but the oil gurus have not been able to convince the crowds to use them. Perhaps this effort in testing will help show the need for high shear oil and arrive at a better result everyone will accept.

It is a total mess and I know it. I can shut off the VW specifications and see the cam-bearing area need. I can understand the pumping loss is in conflict with fuel mileage, and still see the cam-bearing viscosity need. Unless I know the wear results I will not have a source of information. The only source of this information (in my knowledge) is the experimentation that Dimitri16V and eddif are doing (independently). Dimitri16V will give the UOA results, and eddif will look at wear. Dimitri16V already has wear (sorry). Eddif is not doing UOA (sorry). We need a few more testors, but that is in conflict with something else (I am sure).

I believe other countries have the oils I need. I also know someone decided NA does not need these oils.

If you and I both worked at a research facility, I hope we could compliment each other. If we just sat around and argued each day nothing would be happening. Our boss might make the decision of what to do with our test results. The results might be a 10W-40 oil that more meets the needs of the VW TDI PD and becomes the new certified specification. They might fire one or the both of us.

Research is not for everyone. I am sorry mine is so redneck.

eddif
You might be right here..........the oil specified by VW for my 2010 TDI is made in the UK and is a full synthetic as opposed to the US standard for calling an oil a full synthetic with fails to pass the European requirements.

eddif

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD Automatic
What is the purpose/goal of your test of this non-diesel-rated oil?
The purpose of our tests using a non 505.01 oil?
The oil that is available out of NA
VW 505.01 Enviro+ 0W-40 and 10W-50
Is not to be had here. The 10W-50 oil rated 505.01 would do great if I / we could get it.

.......................................SO.............................................

Since we can not get this oil we look for an oil that does about the same thing that does not meet specifications.
TDT 5W-40 does not meet specifications and it is used. 5W-40 is not thick enough for worn followers so we are looking for an oil that is thick enough.

Seems simple to me.
TDT is not certified but is ok ??????????????
15W-50 is close to the correct viscosity and mixed with TDT has some modern dispersants, but it is not ok ?????????????????
++++++++++++++++++
You might be right here..........the oil specified by VW for my 2010 TDI is made in the UK and is a full synthetic as opposed to the US standard for calling an oil a full synthetic with fails to pass the European requirements.
This post says a lot. In NA we can not buy the very certified oil we need.
++++++++++++++++++

Either get us the VW certified oil, or allow us to get on with testing the closest available oil. When the test is over maybe we will get the right oil.

We want the right oil. Where is the 505.01 10W-50 in NA?

Why beat on people trying to get what works. You can use TDT because it is diesel certified (not 505.01 though)????? LOL

Peace! Brother Peace!

eddif

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
M1 5w40 is designed for diesel engines. M1 15w50 is not. How can the 15w50 be the "right" oil?

eddif

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD Automatic
M1 5w40 is designed for diesel engines. M1 15w50 is not. How can the 15w50 be the "right" oil?
Viscosity! Man Viscosity! In case you missed it there is a 505.01 10W-50 made.

Reckon why the oil companies would spend the money to get a 10W-50W certified? That it might be needed?

Their cam bearing support does not meet my wear certification criteria.
Low support area (small contact area), NEEDS Higher viscosity.

This ultra low contact area, ain't your normal stock cam bearings support area. Contact should go from left side to right side, not just the middle.

eddif

SonyAD

banned Borat
TDI
Peugeot 206 2.0 HDi
If you're going to go w50 why not go Eneos 5w50 or Mobil 1 0w50?

The Mobil, at least, should be available in the US, no? Not for use on vehicles with exhaust aftertreatment beyond passive catalisation.

The Eneos seems to have very low TBN.

They both seem to be aimed exclusively at high-performance petrol. For low OCI, heavy track duty.

There used to be this w50 VR1 Valvoline oil. 5w50 or 10w50, can't remember. That might have been a good choice as well.

A properly designed engine should NOT require a super special motor oil in order to be reliable.
This is true. For French, Italian, Japanese and other properly designed & engineered engines. :)

Not for German hacks at engine design & engineering.

Last edited: