Changed fuel filter

edge130

Veteran Member
TDI
Wife's 2009 Jetta TDI sedan (2009 - 2017)
Changed fuel filter today on 2009 Jetta TDI that has the 2 "wide mouth" holes, the MANN PU936/2x filter.

I think its a good idea to have on hand replacement torx screws for the filter canister. I wound up replacing all of mine due to the dealer using an air tool to 1) grossly over tighten the screws and 2) ruining the torx head socket.

For the first time I removed the "syphon" port screw and attached my hand held mitivac to remove about 6 oz of fuel. This would remove any water found at the bottom and also lessen the splashing of diesel when removing the filter.

After I removed the screws, I was able to remove the canister lid with just my hands, You might need screwdriver.

Happy to say I found zero metal particles or any kind of debris!

Using my hand, I found it best to pull up gently while "unscrewing" it, a little bit at a time . I had no "splashing" when it was removed. I did not need to use any screwdrivers for this part, you may or may not.

Note: the olympic o ring only goes on one way. Notice the smaller ring spacing on the left vs the wider ring spacing on the right side.

The bottom of the canister looked clean. Replaced the filter, the "Olympic" blue o-ring, green lid gasket carefully positioned the lid back on, tightened the screws hand tight in a star pattern.

This time I used the VAG COM to run the fuel pump(s) 3 times. The engine fired right up, not one hiccup!

Last edited:

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Same setup I had on my previous car(2006 Jetta). I used 2 screwdrivers positioned on opposite sides to gently lift the old filter out. In my younger days, I would have used my fingers like you did. Most days, I miss those days.

Bill

Tuco

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
Nice job! Fuel filter is the one (seemingly) easy maintenance item I haven't had the guts to do myself. I don't have a VAG COM, and I don't think the pump can be primed without one. Correct?

edge130

Veteran Member
TDI
It can be done

The first time I did it, i bought a quart of diesel, placed a coffee filter in a funnel and filled an clean empty container.
After i changed the fuel filter, I carefully filed the filter canister with the filtered diesel , filling it over the top of the fuel filter.
Replaced the canister lid.
The engine started right up, no hiccups at all.
The Vag tool way is easier as you don't need to do this step as you can run the fuel pump to fill the canister.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
You can use electrical wire to jump from the battery to the fuel pump under the rear seat to run the pump without VCDS.
If you are going to stay with VW/Audi the purchase of VCDS is a no brainer, IMHO.

The REAL concern of changing the fuel filter on CR type TDIs should not be whether it starts or not, but rather is there LONG TERM gradual damage to the HPFP or any other part of the car. Doing a job the way the manual specifies can have unseen benefits. (and sometimes the manual is just wrong, too.)

Bill

Last edited:

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
I just use a pneumatic vacuum pump to pull fuel through the filter to fill the canister. It is quick, easy and no VCDS required. I do this on all TDI filters including common rail.

Might take a couple more minutes but using a hand vacuum pump wouldn't be that much harder.

edge130

Veteran Member
TDI
Vag worry

I decided to buy the ross tech awhile ago and never regretted it.
I figure I can always sell it if I don't have the car anymore.
Perhaps another member in your area has one and would let you use it.
Perhaps you know someone else with a vw and see if they would share the cost and use of it.
I really haven't read any posts where someone regretted buying one.

Spike_africa

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI/w DSG
I simply pulled mine out and replaced it. No VCDS. Just swapped and turned the car on. One stumble at wot after the swap and all the air was out and good to go.

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
I don't want to play all Doom & Gloom, but it needs to be pointed out that even though you didn't notice a problem, it doesn't mean that you didn't do harm to your HPFP. Your method is absolutely NOT the correct way to do a fuel filter change.

These high pressure parts do not like to run dry. If damage was done, you may not know it for tens of thousands of miles (and at that point, how could you possibly trace it back to this event?)

Either way, to anyone reading this: find a vag-com cable and do it the correct way, or find a way to evacuate all of the air out of the system before you run the car. That may mean hotwiring the aux and in-tank fuel pumps, as has been detailed elsewhere on this board, or even unhooking the fuel line to the pump and priming the filter housing & lines with a mity-vac.. but don't just throw a filter in there and run it like spike did.

kcunniff

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS BEW (5spd)
^^^ +1

While everyone who chooses to change fuel filters on CRs without VCDS does so at their own prerogative, they also do so at a significant risk, in my opinion. Air bubbles can kill the HPFP, even in small doses under pressure. Priming the fuel system without the pump making the incredible pressure it does with the engine running is the safe way to do it, and is recommended specifically by VW. Get VCDS, or jump the pumps as suggested above.

Or consider it this way: spend a prudent $350 on a genuine Ross-tech cable (which will pay for itself if you continue to work on your own car) and do the job correctly OR possibly spend thousands to repair your blown up fuel system and motor that gets shredded with pump shrapnel. Seems like an easy one to me.

Last edited:

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
I simply pulled mine out and replaced it. No VCDS. Just swapped and turned the car on. One stumble at wot after the swap and all the air was out and good to go.
Spike,

If your 2006 Jetta is like the one I used to have then to prime the fuel filter simply cycle the key from off to run a half dozen times or so. This makes the lift pump in the fuel tank refill the fuel filter.

Bill

dashbarron

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2010
I have three TDI's 2009, 2010, & 2011, and will be starting my own maintenance this year. What sort of computer hookup is recommended here and where do I get it? We've changed fuel filters hundreds of times in farm equipment, but know nothing about the HPFP and possible problems if we do the old 'fill the canister and swap method we have for the last 50 years.

edge130

Veteran Member
TDI
Ross tech

I suggest you look at the Ross Tech website for info on the VCDS
It will show you what products are compatible with various vehicles.

I myself bought the micro can, I believe.

You are actually buying an interface cable that connects to the cars diagnostic socket to the usb port on most modern computers. Mine is a usb port.

You buy the ross tech cable, supply your own laptop, download the software
Program into your computer from the ross tech site.

I'm over simplifying it, but basically thats what you need to do

dashbarron

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2010
Ah goodie. So this will basically force-run the fuel pumps to pump fuel, in this particular situation?

And generally tell good ole' diagnostics information?

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
Exactly.

You can also test-run the intake manifold flapper, exhaust flapper, etc.. code different behavior from your cluster/central convenience/etc, reset check engine/ABS/etc lights.. it really is useful & powerful software.

dashbarron

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2010
Ah...so it basically looks like I want the Micro-Can outfit dongle and I need a computer. Do I need to buy one of those Bentley code books or does the software tell you what the codes are and how to use the software?

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
Any fault you get from VCDS will have a "Pxxxxx" code associated with it. Generally searching on google, or this site, will give you more than enough info about it.

The bentley manual won't tell you much with regard to codes (or I haven't found that section at least), but it will help you find whatever part your research points to as being faulty, and help you R&R that part with the correct procedure. An example would be VW's affinity for "torque to yield" bolts on engine/transmission mounts. Without a manual, or searching here for updated info, you'll not know which bolts to replace and how to torque them appropriately.

My suggestion would be to start with the vag-com cable.. then get a bentley as funds/upcoming car repairs allow.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
has anyone looked at alldatadiy.com for our cars?

It is working great for some work I am doing on my son's chevy.

dashbarron

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2010
Any fault you get from VCDS will have a "Pxxxxx" code associated with it. Generally searching on google, or this site, will give you more than enough info about it.

The bentley manual won't tell you much with regard to codes (or I haven't found that section at least), but it will help you find whatever part your research points to as being faulty, and help you R&R that part with the correct procedure. An example would be VW's affinity for "torque to yield" bolts on engine/transmission mounts. Without a manual, or searching here for updated info, you'll not know which bolts to replace and how to torque them appropriately.

My suggestion would be to start with the vag-com cable.. then get a bentley as funds/upcoming car repairs allow.

Thanks chap! I'm going to order one now.

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
If priming the fuel system is so important, why didn't the dealer do it on my first (free?) maintenance interval???? Just saying....

I would bet a pitcher of beer that on any given day, VW dealers across the country are changing out fuel filters without priming the fuel system. With that said, how many HPFP were damaged in the process? That's assuming damage is done at all by not following the correct procedure.

I've had two, maybe 3 fuel filter changes without priming. I bought a VAGCOM a few years ago and primed ever since.