Changed fuel filter, one question...

Braga_Dub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 ALH Golf
Hello!
I just changed the fuel filter after going about 20-25K miles. Sort of slacked off on filter maintenance :(
I had a question...

I key cycled a few times to prime the filter (I have a lift pump) and turned the car on. It cranked perfectly, and ran fine for about 5 seconds, then the RPM jumped slighted and the motor died. I then key-cycled a few more times until there were no air bubbles in the fuel lines. (I should of checked for them before turning it on the first time...)
I then tried starting the car again.
It took about 2 seconds of cranking before the engine started, and then it ran perfectly fine for a minute or so, and then I shut it down. No air bubbles were present in the line.

So, is the engine alright? Or could this have caused damage? :confused:

I should have poured diesel into the filter first, but I did not want to pour the diesel that came out of the old filter into the new one.

toastblows

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta GLS
You need to fill the filter with diesel or you'll be cranking all day. I doubt you caused any serious engine damage though. (i use the poor mans way below and i have a crank a couple times to get it going)

The How Tos show a tool you can get thats vaccum like, pulls diesel from from your fuel line into the filter. Or go the poor mans way, get a 1 gallon gas can and fill it with diesel, get a 49 cent funnel at walmart (or whatever, make sure the end fits in the filter). and pour till you hit the top. Then reconnect the lines.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
all you need to do is cycle the key "on" ~20-30 times, will fill up the filter using the lift pump.

mdp

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
burpod said:
all you need to do is cycle the key "on" ~20-30 times, will fill up the filter using the lift pump.
20-30 times??? :eek: Sheesh! Easier to fill with diesel.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
Braga_Dub said:
Hello!
I just changed the fuel filter after going about 20-25K miles. Sort of slacked off on filter maintenance :(
I had a question...

I key cycled a few times to prime the filter (I have a lift pump) and turned the car on. It cranked perfectly, and ran fine for about 5 seconds, then the RPM jumped slighted and the motor died. I then key-cycled a few more times until there were no air bubbles in the fuel lines. (I should of checked for them before turning it on the first time...)
I then tried starting the car again.
It took about 2 seconds of cranking before the engine started, and then it ran perfectly fine for a minute or so, and then I shut it down. No air bubbles were present in the line.

So, is the engine alright? Or could this have caused damage? :confused:

I should have poured diesel into the filter first, but I did not want to pour the diesel that came out of the old filter into the new one.
Probably no more than you would if you parked it and turned the key off.