changed clutch and now car wont move

ringram

TDI
2001 Jetta, 2001 Golf
I have a 2001 Jetta with 5 speed. I picked it up used. I noticed a noise int the clutch/transmission but it went away when I pushed in the clutch. Everything seemed to work fine.

I read that this car has a dual mass clutch and when it starts to fail, it will make a noise. I also read that a single mass replacement kit was a simple and less expensive alternative to the dual mass. So, I went that route.

I dropped the transmission and removed the clutch and flywheel assembly. I did notice that the DMF was failing.

I installed the new flywheel, clutch and pressure plate and new release bearing. I believe this was a kit from LUK.

I reinstalled the transmission and got everything all back together. Started the car and noticed a sound coming from clutch that went away when I pushed in the clutch pedal. It came back when I let it out. I pushed in the clutch again and shifted into gear, let out the clutch, and the car did not move. But, it it made that sound again.

I'm about to drop the transmission again. It almost seems like the pressure plate is not putting enough pressure onto the clutch and it is always slipping.

Does anybody have any other suggestions? This was all working before I took it apart.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
the rattle can be 'smf chatter', its very common when converting to a SMF. The fact it changes sound when you push the pedal means the fork is moving, and you can put it in gear while the car is running?

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
the rattle can be 'smf chatter', its very common when converting to a SMF. The fact it changes sound when you push the pedal means the fork is moving, and you can put it in gear while the car is running?
Would it be by LUK if it was SMF? Hmmmmm?.....

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
So you put it in gear let out the clutch the car didn't move and the engine didn't die? Yep, pull the transmission back out pressure plate isn't getting to the flywheel for some reason.

GCBUG00

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
How about inspecting the shifter cables for actually putting trans in gear?

And do you have the part number of the clutch system installed.

As soon as you bolt the pressure plate, disc and flywheel together, the clutch is engaged, capable of transmitting torque to input shaft. Trick is to get it to release and shift.

Does the pedal effort and feedback feel "normal"?

Fork and bearing is jammed and holding clutch released? That's a bit of a long shot but what the heck.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Silly question...... did you remove the bolt that you install to hold the clutch back so you can mate the tranny to the engine?

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Silly question...... did you remove the bolt that you install to hold the clutch back so you can mate the tranny to the engine?
In theory you have to if you hooked up the shift cables, its one of the bolts holes for the mount.

ringram

TDI
2001 Jetta, 2001 Golf
OK. Solved. I was in the process of taking things apart to drop the transmission. I was removing the bolts holding the inner CV joint to the flange on the passenger side and When I rotated the rotor to turn the axel, I noticed the axel didn't turn. Turns out, the axel shaft came out of the outer CV joint. Fortunately, I didn't get too far in removing the transmission.

I pulled the axel out and took the clamp off the CV boot. The axel was out of the hub. Upon closer inspection, the retaining clip that is SUPPOSED to be on the end of the axel to keep it together was not there. It looks like the previous owner replaced the boot and didn't re-install this clip. I wonder how long it was like this... Good thing it didn't come apart on the road!

Anyways, I'm picking up the new CV boot kit which contains a new clip and I'll have it back together and running (and moving) soon.

BTW, the 'noise' that I notice from releasing the clutch, in gear or not, was there before I changed the flywheel/clutch/pressure plate. Must be something in the transmission. Input bearing? Maybe no oil? While I'm at it, I'll drain the transmission oil and put in some new stuff.

ringram

TDI
2001 Jetta, 2001 Golf
all back together and it moves under its own power now. But, the speedometer doesn't work. I guess I must have knocked off a wire somewhere...

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
The three wire connector on the speedometer sensor, aft of the shift cable bracket, on the differential. Its just below the heater hoses.