Change your service remider to 10,000 miles

kromicacid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL - Fixed
I created a PDF on how to change the Service Now reminder from 5,000 miles to 10,000.

Can we put this in the FAQ/DIY?
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/Service_Change.pdf

Standard disclaimer: This document is for informational purposes only. Neither the author nor this site will be held liable for actions taken resulting from the information set forth herein.

Tools: Computer
Vag-Com
Here is the DIY to change your service reminder from the 5,000 miles to 10,000 miles.
Select “Select” under Select Control Module
Under the Common Tab
Select “17 – Instruments”
Select “Adaptation – 10”
Change “Channel Number” from 00 to 50
“Read”
Input “New Value” to 100
“Test”
“Save”
Click “Yes”
“Done, Go Back”
Close controller and you are done.

Then to reset the “Service Now” indicator:
From http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3621413
Step 1) Using your left hand, press and hold the "0.0" button, located at the bottom right of your instrument cluster
Step 2) While holding the "0.0" button, using your right hand, insert your key into the ignition and turn it to the on position (w/o starting the engine)
Step 3) Let go of the "0.0" button
Step 4) While it still says "Service Now", press the "M" button on the bottom left side of the instrument panel.

Sorry for not being able to make the pics come up here, but click on the PDF file at the top.

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
I have been waiting for a while now for instructions on how to do this.
Thanks!
mishkaya

kromicacid

Veteran Member
TDI
just added this to thte FAQ/DIY sticky in the A5 forum. (its not at the top, but down the page)

Eric Cartman

Veteran Member
TDI
My reminder just came on yesterday at about 13k miles..:rolleyes:
I have had two services and do not need another till I hit 20k...
Will the dealer do this for us at our request if we dont have vag com?
So gay...

Gavin_1

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
How come I have nothing found at channel 50? I have a actual value for the service at like 40 I think it was, but no basic value anywhere. Any ideas?

kromicacid

Veteran Member
TDI
not really sure... i got help from Ross-Tech to know where to look. They told me to go to chanel 50 for the mileage reset, and 51 for the day reset (where it says 365 days till next service on your MFD...)

if you have a vag-com ask them what you need to do to change it. they are VERY helpful!

ZIG TDI

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI... 145k (replaced bad cam, and DMF at 64k)
Reset?

When doing the reset of the service reminder, will it turn off completely, or begin flasing again at the 5000 mile interval?

Thanks,

kromicacid

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry for the delay in response - been away for the weekend...

From my understanding it will begin flashing at 9000 (or whatever the time it gives you to Service in XXXX miles)

when you change the number from 50 to 100 it is 100x100 (10,000)
if you change your chanel 51 under the same controller you can change the day reminder (Service in XXX days) for the first few seconds when you turn the car on

kromicacid

Veteran Member
TDI
I emailed Ross-Tech and this is what he told me to do...

Please try the Controller Channels Map function:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/tour/applications_screen.html

Tell it to access Controller Address 17
Function = Adaptation
Login = <leave blank>
Output = Pre-label file

- So I did that, sent him the resulting log, and this is what he responded:

you should find the related information in adaptation channel 50 and 51.
Even though I can't tell you if it will accept a value of 100 (for
10,000 mi), channel 50 is currently set to 50 (for 5,000 mi).

Please be aware that even though you want 10k intervals the manufacturer
does not recommend that for certain reasons so you will most likely
loose your warranty by altering this value - of course it's questionable
if somebody except you would actually notice the change.

I responded with the service schedule from VW stating that we service at 10000 miles... he said -OK cool, thanks for the info.

Last edited:

Eric Cartman

Veteran Member
TDI
I just found out by the dealer how to reset the s.o.b service reminder to 0 miles in case you want to reset it.
Dealear should be how to reset it, but I think it is posted in the user manual as well.
With the key in the "off" position, hold the odometer reset buttons down.
Turn ignition key to "on" position, but do not start the car.
With your free left hand while you are still holding the odometer reset buttons, press the clock reset buttons, then release both the clock buttons and the odometer reset buttons and viola!
I asked the dealer how the figgured it out, and he said they figgured it out by "accident".....Yea right! :D

bombero

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Eric Cartman said:
I just found out by the dealer how to reset the s.o.b service reminder to 0 miles in case you want to reset it.
Dealear should be how to reset it, but I think it is posted in the user manual as well.
With your free left hand while you are still holding the odometer reset buttons, press the clock reset buttons, then release both the clock buttons and the odometer reset buttons and viola!
I asked the dealer how the figgured it out, and he said they figgured it out by "accident".....Yea right! :D

This was posted here some time ago.

merkerguitars

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta
Sweet, hopefully I can get this to work with a 5052 at work, my service manager will really appreciate it if this works. So many customers with 2.5 Jetta complain that the light comes on every 5k.

Eric Cartman said:
I learned that trick to from some fellow coworkers at the dealership, beats running back and forth with a scan tool just to reset the service light.

Last edited:

Eric Cartman

Veteran Member
TDI
Exactly.
I plan to set mine at 10k intervals on the next scheduled service.
Nice to have a work around. If this has been posted previously somewhere, my apologies.

nutdriver

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2006 (Previously NB 2000)
ZIG TDI said:
When doing the reset of the service reminder, will it turn off completely, or begin flasing again at the 5000 mile interval?

Thanks,
Here is my experience with this mod. I made the adjustment to change my service reminder from 5000 miles to 10000 miles using Vag Com when my car had about 24,000 miles on it. I expected to not see the reminder until I was getting close to 30,000 miles. Around 24,700 miles the service alert came on reporting 5300 miles until service. I have not reset the light yet and perhaps this will only happen the first time. I am now at 25000 miles and it is basically counting down and reporting 5000 miles till service.

Eric Cartman

Veteran Member
TDI
nutdriver said:
Here is my experience with this mod. I made the adjustment to change my service reminder from 5000 miles to 10000 miles using Vag Com when my car had about 24,000 miles on it. I expected to not see the reminder until I was getting close to 30,000 miles. Around 24,700 miles the service alert came on reporting 5300 miles until service. I have not reset the light yet and perhaps this will only happen the first time. I am now at 25000 miles and it is basically counting down and reporting 5000 miles till service.
Interesting.
I posed the same question to the dealer about this.
He (service manager) claims that "some" cars cannot be reset, even with vagcom.

kromicacid

Veteran Member
TDI
Eric Cartman said:
And this was at the bottem of the PDF, and you only need to hold the MM button (minutes)

nutdriver said:
I will let you know how it goes for me once i get to the halfway mark. I am at 22k right now, and i performed this action at 20017.

Last edited:

wright

TDI
Current: 2014 Touareg Lux / Former: 06 Jetta manual
I tried this and came up with a "no value" at channel 50. I looked at the channels all around and it looks like 42 might be the one for me. The description that pops up is "Minimum Value Mileage - Resolution: 1=100 km". Can anyone confirm that this may be it? My controller is VAG 1K0 920 952 L.

kromicacid

Veteran Member
TDI
Wright - That is possible, my car is the 2006.5 Special Edition and i see you have a 2006 Package 1...
VW may have changed some of the controllers. my only suggestion would be to email Ross-Tech your controller channels map (read above).

5harkology

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG
wright said:
I tried this and came up with a "no value" at channel 50. I looked at the channels all around and it looks like 42 might be the one for me. The description that pops up is "Minimum Value Mileage - Resolution: 1=100 km". Can anyone confirm that this may be it? My controller is VAG 1K0 920 952 L.
I'm running into the same thing. I'm also thinking 40 maybe the correct one as well.

SBAtdijetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Jetta Cup 6spd, '02 Jetta Auto
You can also reset your service indicator with Vag-com

Go to 17 Instruments -> Adaptation -> Channel 2 -> set the value to 0

That is it you are done.

EDIT: BTW just changed my oil this afternoon and checked all my channels from 55 to 0. I noted only the following useable ones

49 - Min days to service

For flexible service interval cars... Oil sensor and 507
48 - Thermal stress factor
47 - Soot stress factor
45 - Select Fixed service interval or Flexible service intervals
39 - Oil sensor installed or not

41 - Time sense last service in days
40 - Mileage sense last service

35 - Oil pressure factor changeable in 250rpm amounts (no idea what this is)
30 - Fuel gauge adaptation

Last edited: