Cetane ratings of fuel companies

dieselmike

TDI
2009 Jetta
Had seen a chart showing different filling stations cetane ratings on this site, but now I can't find it. Can that be posted again?

Fahrfuwerfuelen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2005 (A4), Platinum Gray
Mike:

US law only requires a minimum cetane rating of 40. Because this value can vary from delivery to delivery, most suppliers will only state the cetane is at least 40. Might be higher or even much higher, but they won't post it as the next load might just meet the 40 standard.

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
I wonder how much of that varies by region. Interesting that BP has three different diesel fuels. I've yet to find one in Atlanta that is branded as "Amoco fuels" (like the gasoline at the same pump) or "Powerblend." Every BP in Atlanta I've been to just says "Diesel" in black/white sticker.

QuikTrip and Sam's Club confirmed to me only that they meet the minimum 40 requirement. I presume Sam's and Wal-Mart/Murphy's use the same distributors/trucks, so you could probably add that to the 40 list as well.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
Zambee500 said:
I wonder how much of that varies by region. Interesting that BP has three different diesel fuels. I've yet to find one in Atlanta that is branded as "Amoco fuels" (like the gasoline at the same pump) or "Powerblend." Every BP in Atlanta I've been to just says "Diesel" in black/white sticker. (snip)
__. Most places, the diesel you get at an Exxon isn't refined by Exxon, the diesel you get at a Chevron isn't refined by Chevron, etc. Unless you're near a refinery or the refiner/distributors actually have a quality spec and care about quality, what you get is what they get -- and what they get is whatever diesel comes out of the pipeline. What does vary is the amount, type and quality of additives that are added to the tanker truck ("splash blending") at the distribution terminal but the basic fuel is the same at all the stations near you.

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
mrGutWrench said:
__. Most places, the diesel you get at an Exxon isn't refined by Exxon, the diesel you get at a Chevron isn't refined by Chevron, etc. Unless you're near a refinery or the refiner/distributors actually have a quality spec and care about quality, what you get is what they get -- and what they get is whatever diesel comes out of the pipeline. What does vary is the amount, type and quality of additives that are added to the tanker truck ("splash blending") at the distribution terminal but the basic fuel is the same at all the stations near you.
But isn't it that additive in the splash blending that boosts the cetane ratings to make them differ from brand to brand? Sort of like the way we add Stanadyne or Powerservice to a tank, but on a much much larger scale?

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
Zambee500 said:
But isn't it that additive in the splash blending that boosts the cetane ratings to make them differ from brand to brand? Sort of like the way we add Stanadyne or Powerservice to a tank, but on a much much larger scale?
The additions per the label raise the cetane level a max of 4. The problem with living in the proverbial "sticks/boondox/etc") is you get nothing but crappy circle k and flying j diesel. Mix it with powerservice and you get better than nothing (but still crappy diesel).

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
dieselmike said:
Had seen a chart showing different filling stations cetane ratings on this site, but now I can't find it. Can that be posted again?
Why are you worrying about this, Mike? Are you experiencing cold weather starting issues? Cetane rating is not comparable to octane rating in gasoline, nor is it indicative of overall quality. The cetane rating of Shell diesel fuel sold in CA could be very different than the product offered at a Shell station in NY...it's a regional issue and you'd have to sample every single batch of fuel prior to use. Now that should give you something to worry about :D

If you really feel you need to boost your cetane due to cold-weather starting issues, the AMSOIL 2-EHN product will provide the most bang for the buck:

MethylEster

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999.5. Red, 5 Spd
The Federal diesel fuel oil specification VV-F-800D lists the following compounds as acceptable cetane improvers

- Amyl nitrate
- Isopropyl nitrate
- Hexyl nitrate
- Cyclohexyl nitrate
- 2-Ethylhexyl nitrate ( most common )
- Octyl nitrate

In #1 and #2 diesel fuel the cetane improver concentration cannot exceed 0.5 wt%

The greatest boost in cetane number improvement is obtained within the first 1,000 ppm of additive treatment.

An increase of one to two cetane numbers is typically achieved for every 250 ppm of cetane improver.

In most fuels a maximum boost of no more than 12 to 14 cetane numbers from the base number should be expected.

All references above for ppm additive concentrations are for the neat chemistries and does not include whatever solvent might be used.

06JettaGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I just checked with the refinery and got the COA for the ULSD pumping from the refinery for the Houston area. Cetane rating for the current batch is 54.5. The cetane will stay at 54.5 all the way to your tank... Fill up at Shell in Houston... if the price is right...

CMB430

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I filled up with Kwik Fill Premium Diesel in Tomah, WI and am seeing higher MPGs than average, meaning about 2-3 mpgs higher. I added the 8oz of PS like always. I wish I had found some on my roadtrip. There is one in Shakopee, a city close to me, that I may go back to and fill up in a day or two. It is about $0.15 more per gallon, so not sure if the increase in cost is less than the MPG gain. With the cold weather up here, this is not a fair time to attempt a conclusive answer. What do you think?

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Yup, I checked with the refinery our local fuel usually comes from. Chemist told me they usually ship 47 cetane. The stations retain the 40 sticker so they won't have to constantly replace them.

retmil46

TDI
'05 Jeep Liberty CRD, 87 MB 300D Turbo
Here in this neck of the woods, see if you can find a station supplied by Cary Oil. There's one indy station here locally (Coastal by brand) that installed new pumps and started selling diesel a year ago. I noticed an immediate jump in miles per tank, even in mixed driving, in both the '87 MB 300D and '05 Jeep Liberty CRD - and that's stayed consistent over the past year. I asked the station owner who he got his diesel from, and he named Cary Oil. I then asked him to please keep buying his diesel from them. Added kicker is that he also usually has the lowest diesel prices in town - SWEET!!!:cool:

retmil46

TDI
'05 Jeep Liberty CRD, 87 MB 300D Turbo
dieselmike said:
Man, you're in Kyle? I've got an old Navy friend and his family living there - they're in a subdivision on the east side of I-35, in behind the Family Dollar, on the highway that turns off and heads east beside the Valero station. He works at the Cowboy Honda motorcycle dealer there.