Cetane Rating Pittsburgh Pennsylvania - Drake Crude

medischi

TDI
2012 Passat
I just bought a new 2012 Passat TDI and was investigating fuels both on the TDIClub and at the variuos suppliers. I was quite surprised to find a pretty much universal lack of knowledge regarding diesel fuel cetane rating. Whenever one fills a gasoline powered car it is evident on every pump the octane rating of the fuel. I find this not to be true for diesel. The attendants also have no idea. I do believe in Pennsylvania the ULSD minimum cetane rating is 40. I live near Mars (a that is a small town north of Pittsburgh) and it turns that Purvis Brothers run a Pennzoil service station just off RT 228. They are very knowledgeable and have diesel fuel with a cetane rating of 57! The pump atually says 59. I found this after a friend advised me. Purvis webstie simply says the highest cetane fueld available. This was so unusual I needed an explanation so I got the Ergon Refinery analysis it is as follows:

Cetane ASTM D 976: 52 (min) 57 (market)
Ash, wt%ASTM D 482: 0.01 (max)
Cloud point ASTM D 5773: -14 (deg C)
API Gravity (15.6 deg C) ASTM D 1250: 30.0 (min)
Flash Point ASTM D 93: 54 (min) (deg C)
Copper Strip Corrosion, 3hrs at 36 (deg C) ASTM D 130: 1 (max)

The claim for the high cetane is the result of Appalacian crude loaded with parafins (long straight carbon chains). The refining process does not involve cracking columns so consequently low aeromatic content. I am ri=unning the fuel but have noticed no notable increase in mileage. I am currently computing an average of 50mpg with the manual transmission and some paying attention to efficient driving style. Since the car is new it is hard to compare from a performance standpoint. Purvis Brothers also told me that Pennsylvania mandates a minimum of 2% biodiesel in all diesel fuel sold.

Purvis Brothers carries a full line of Pennzoil products and I discovered Pennzoil has Synthetic oil meeting VW 507.00 specification. It is referred to as Platinum Full Synthetic VX. they sell it for $7.60/qt.

Another unusual thing I found at Purvis is that they pump 89 octane non-alcohol fuel. Straight gasoline. this might be interesting to those with 2-cycle equipment.

So for those of us in the Pittsburgh area Purvis Brothers has interesting fuel and lubricant offerings, especially diesel.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Sorry, not sure what difference cetane rating will make in my car. Will I get better gas mileage? Will I pay more for a higher cetane rating? I don't remember reading anything from VW about requiring a certain cetane rating for my car.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Sorry, not sure what difference cetane rating will make in my car. Will I get better gas mileage? Will I pay more for a higher cetane rating? I don't remember reading anything from VW about requiring a certain cetane rating for my car.
Your gas mileage will stay the same: ZERO! :D

Jump62

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GlS,2006 NB (Crew Chief),2009 JSW
The only time I've seen a cetane rating about our cars was in a Bently manuals (for an ALH and a BEW) and it said that the lowest number was 49 it was never stated in the owners paperwork. Will you get better fuel mileage? Well no all things be equal, the higher cetane number will cause the fuel to combust more easliy in the compression stroke. I used to get BP Supreme ( cetane 50 ) on I-70 just before the mountains, hill climbing was a hoot. The engine made less clatter, seemed to make more power, and winter starts were quicker. If anyone has to ask why some of us use additives, to add cetane is one of them. The trucking boys are the major reason we don't see better fuel after all the are the Big Dogs when it come to buying diesel. I would love to stop and get some of stuff and give it a try, thanks for the tip.
Paul
aka Jump62

PS if the engine oil isn't on the Vw/Audi 507 oil list, meeting the spec means that they didn't send it to VW and do the test. The oil could cause the DPF to clog quicker. For more info look at the posts on the Common Rail 2.0 engines for info and scarry-stories

Last edited:

medischi

TDI
2012 Passat
Just off Rt. 228 on Mars Valencia Road south of the small town of Mars. You can easily see Rt228 from the service station.

scihon

TDI
2004 Jetta 1.9
Glad I found this! Not sure of the cetane rating on the bio-diesel Get Go sells in the city, so I'm glad at least one station around here posts the rating.