Certified Pads from CT any good?

TyeRant

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Silver
A buddy told me that brake pads were on clearance for 65%off at CT. Both front and back were $18.79 plus tax a set.

Two questions though...

Are the Certified pads from CT any good?

and

How do I tell if I have 280mm rotors or 288mm rotors without freezing my fingers off measuring??

Thanks

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
I think they would do for average use - light load but if you like hammering it, they fade pretty quick just my experience with them. you get what you pay for.

TyeRant

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Silver
LNXGUY said:
Can't beat $20 for pads..

You have 280mm rotors.. 288mm's are on the 1.8T and VR6.
Thanks,

I thought it may be something to do with some sort of factory upgrade.

I got the 280mm. I am a pretty tame driver. These should do me fine. Besides, couldn't pass up this deal. Pads all around for under $44 tax in!

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Personally I consider brakes a safety item. I always use an excellent quality pad on all my cars. Including beaters. The CTC crap doesn't hold up in my books.

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
i share the same sentiments as you Uberhare. Definatley noticed a BIG difference in braking power between the cdn tire discount stuff and the Brembo / Pagid brands.

RichDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Silver Jetta
Right now I have CT pads (Munro) and rotors on the front of my beast and they work just fine.

I do mainly highway driving (80km/h speed limit) for long stretches of time. If I were on the 400 series highways, and I felt a difference, I might be inclined to spend a bit more $$ the next time around. But for the type of driving that I do, they are more then satisfactory.

...and you can't knock the price.

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
Certified pads are on their way to being discontinued at CT, being replaced by NASCAR branded pads. Don't know anything about the new pads ...

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Good price, and fair parts. If you are a typical daily driver, go for it. Nothing wrong with them. There are better out there for sure, but, they will perform perfectly well. I would install them, and not give it another thought.

That being said, I have brembo's and pagids on my car....Its all about money....and how much you want to spend for a little better performance. And I believe, the first stop would be as good with them as any others....its the 2nd and 3rd where you will have issues. But, as a daily driver on a highway, this is not really an issue.

Craig