Central California TDI service available--can travel to you!"

Baumeister

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Beetle Convertible, '03 New Beetle TDI 5sp, '94 Audi Cabriolet(AFN swap in progress)
I'll throw in.
I'm guessing Russ has big plans to concrete the floor of his barn and put a living space loft in:D

I've lived in the bay area, and have worked all over California. If I could afford it, I'd definitely go for the nicer San Diego areas.

I love where I'm at now, right off of I-80 in Auburn.
Just about anywhere in the bay area is an easy 2-3 hours away. I commuted to San Ramon or San Francisco a few times a week for a few years. Tahoe is about an hour away, Reno is 90 minutes. We are at enough of an elevation that we don't get the valley fog, the heat cools off at night, and we're still snow-free in the winter. If you want snow it's generally no more than half an hour away. And Sacramento is 30-40 minutes away.

And its pretty cheap living right now. If you want it even cheaper move up I-80 a bit to Colfax. :)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Find a place where rent is affordable and set up shop. People will come to you.

Build it and they will come!

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
Find a place where rent is affordable and set up shop. People will come to you.
Build it and they will come!
For as anti business and regulations prone as CA is, it would seem that to rent a lift/stall portion of a pre existing shop would make a lot of sense. For a shop that has inconsistent billings it would be a win (shop)/win (independent)/win (niche VW customer) situation.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Absolutely - rent out half of an existing shop and it will be win-win for everyone.

Baumeister

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Beetle Convertible, '03 New Beetle TDI 5sp, '94 Audi Cabriolet(AFN swap in progress)
I talked to this guy Pete http://www.mvautoauburn.com/about.htm a few months ago...he just moved to a larger space. He was real excited about TDI mods but sounded like he hadn't had an opportunity to do many yet, such as an injection pump re-seal.(which Matt had just assisted/done for me). Pete does have a lot of experience with gasser mods and suggested I let him get his hands on my stock AWM Passat, at least for a chip upgrade. We talked about sourcing from dieselgeek and Aaron...sounded like a good guy and will send my A/C work to him(crossing my fingers it'll be awhile!)

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Gentlemen,
I am relatively sure Matt will hear our opinions. Matt started this thread to offer his services to repair our TDI's. He does that VERY well.

I am a happy user of Matt's service. Anyone looking for good, honest service should call Matt. He really is good.

Let(s get this back to Matt's excellent services.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Speaking of Matt's excellent services, Jason and I are waiting for his cross-cross country road trip to get the suspension rebuilt on the Mk4. :)

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon GL TDI 5-Speed Baltic Green
Tracy, CA

Food for thought: a friend works all over the Bay Area and Northern California, doing construction inspection. He lives in Tracy, because it's about an hour away from the major cities (Sacramento, San Francisco, San Jose), closer to most other things, and right on the 5 for trips to LA (5-5:30 away) or north. Also, rent and cost of living in general is considerably cheaper than in the more immediate Bay Area (though notably, not as cheap as Modesto or other Central Valley cities).

Anyway, wherever you move, people will come.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Well, Stockton should be cheaper now! :D

Of course it IS the "most unhappy city" in the nation with one of the highest crime rates. Also, don't expect very many city services for several years.

dasher 1980

TDI
Jetta 04 GL
Hello to my west coast TDI brethren. My '04 TDI has been running great and it drinks at Dogpatch Biofuels...Question: Where does one get trusted A/C work done in greater SF area? I was up in Lake County at 90*+ and got sketchy A/C. I'm new to the area so I thought I'd throw out a request...

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon GL TDI 5-Speed Baltic Green
Saw this thread at the bottom of the page so I figured I'd give it a bump. Matt did my timing belt about 10k miles ago, he's the best.

moonlite

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Hello Matt,

I live in the Santa Cruz mountains and was checking on any GTG in the area that you will be attending.

I have a 2003 Golf with 150k miles that could use you excellent services. It needs the intake cleaned which has never been done. Also, the top two injector pump o-rings needs to be replaced as they are starting to seep and I want to be able to mix and match from B99 to all petroleum while on a road trip. I replaced the o-ring in the injector pump head a couple of years ago.

I hope all is well.

UNsweet

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 TDI Sportwagon
lol, not moving--yet. Just have been toying with the idea of going closer to the Bay Area. I get far more work there than any place else. Would be nice to not have to drive so much at some point.
There are no plans being implemented, just thinking about it and tossing ideas out there to a few people :)
Santa Maria Native transplanted to Central Florida... can't say I miss more than the food (well, and people that can drive in the "fog")!!

I know, drive this way and check it out and then I can get some work done by a "local"!!! :D (and maybe throw in a trip-tip and some linguica??? LOL!)

Best of luck moving - we've been here 8 years now and honestly I don't regret leaving CA.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NOBODY regrets leaving California; I regret coming back! If it hadn't been for my parents, I wouldn't have done so.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Santa Maria Native transplanted to Central Florida... can't say I miss more than the food (well, and people that can drive in the "fog")!!
I know, drive this way and check it out and then I can get some work done by a "local"!!! :D (and maybe throw in a trip-tip and some linguica??? LOL!)
Best of luck moving - we've been here 8 years now and honestly I don't regret leaving CA.
lol! I've been here 2 years. Moved from an economically-ravaged Michigan. People kept asking why I chose Santa Maria. I didn't quite fully understand the context until after being here a little while. heh. But yeah, moving North is looking like the thing to do.

I'm going on a cross-country trip LOADED with tools starting next week. Will be going to TDIFest in Michigan, make my way to Virginia as well. If you need something done in Florida, I may very well make the detour!

So with that said, now's a good time to warn the Californians I won't be around to do work for a few weeks! Will be back Mid-September... sometime. Depends on how long some of the work I'm lining up takes me.

Back to assembling the engine on my '96 Passat. I'd like to be driving it across the country...

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ha! I'll be chasing you, Matt! I'm leaving on the 26th heading to Ypsilanti. I'll RON that night in Wendover, UT. Then work my way across to Ypsilanti with only 2 enroute stops planned: Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, and then a quick stop in Dexter, MI. I-80 & I-94. I plan on arriving Friday afternoon.

Matt-98AHU

TDI
Ha! I'll be chasing you, Matt! I'm leaving on the 26th heading to Ypsilanti. I'll RON that night in Wendover, UT. Then work my way across to Ypsilanti with only 2 enroute stops planned: Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, and then a quick stop in Dexter, MI. I-80 & I-94. I plan on arriving Friday afternoon.
I should be leaving on the 25th, do some work in Vegas (DSG flywheel and timing belt on a 2006 Jetta). An auto to manual conversion in Minnesota later in the week. Then run through Chicago, maybe an intake cleaning, pick up a few things from Scurvy to take to TDIFest. I *should* be in by Friday. We'll see!

UNsweet

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 TDI Sportwagon
NOBODY regrets leaving California; I regret coming back! If it hadn't been for my parents, I wouldn't have done so.
HA. Mine moved here - in fact, they were the first ones to mention, "Moving to FL". We moved first though, they followed 10 months later. My grandma is still out there, which is hard, but she understands why we left!
lol! I've been here 2 years. Moved from an economically-ravaged Michigan. People kept asking why I chose Santa Maria. I didn't quite fully understand the context until after being here a little while. heh. But yeah, moving North is looking like the thing to do.
Interesting... so how DID you pick SM? Especially being from out of state. No one just up and decides to move there! (not only am i a native, but try a 3rd generation Central Coaster no less. You don't know any of my family do you? or my friends? LOL!).

At least you landed in the land of good BBQ. Personally, north wouldn't work for me either... :D

You know though, my EX-in-laws are looking at condos apparently - and they have a 3600 sf shop with a lift on their property on ____ Road. Not sure how the county is about working on it as opposed to personal use. Oh well, they are quit nuts at times - maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it! LOL!!

I'm going on a cross-country trip LOADED with tools starting next week. Will be going to TDIFest in Michigan, make my way to Virginia as well. If you need something done in Florida, I may very well make the detour!
I could very much use someone to go over the car for me - I would even have a shop (no lift though) that you could work in (My house resembles the "if the directions to your house involves "turn on the dirt road"' - aka, I feel like a redneck. I wouldn't use my garage for anything. Don't laugh though - sold my house in SM and paid cash here! Although I had a pool there, not here. HMPH.).

Alas, my cash flow isn't the greatest until the end of September, which means when you tell me to do the timing belt - i'll cry! :eek: So maybe you should skip FL this trip. Although i have to get it to someone to know what i'm going to need to be doing. And i'd love to do the auto to manual conversion. Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket?!

So with that said, now's a good time to warn the Californians I won't be around to do work for a few weeks! Will be back Mid-September... sometime. Depends on how long some of the work I'm lining up takes me.

Back to assembling the engine on my '96 Passat. I'd like to be driving it across the country...
Safe travels and have fun at the TDIFest!

Last edited:

Matt-98AHU

TDI
I chose it because I've got family that moved here a few years before I did. More a matter of convenience. Made it way easier to try and make the leap to be self-employed since I have a support system of sorts. It was very slow at first, but it's picking up!

ravent

Have a GREAT road trip and hope we can gtg "this time" on your way to/from either Chico in September or the October gtg in the Bay Area. I still live in Salinas and still have not installed the short shifter or the Panzer plate. Hope you still have my number.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Good luck on your road trip if you ever make it out the door! LET'S GO, BUDDAY!

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
I wanted to post a huge thumbs up for Matt!!! He just finished a pretty big job on my relatively modded 03 Golf....
He basically replaced my bottom end...
· took the engine out
· took it completly apart ..down to the bare block
· Checked out all clearances on the new bottom end
· Adjusted the block girdle and modified the oil pump, oil pan and a $hite load of components to make it wall work together
· Reassembled the engine & all the components on the bare block
· Including the clutch and 6 speed
· Put the assembled engine/ tanny combo back in the car
· reconnected all the supports, wires & hoses
· Started it up and did the new block break in process

And now it pulls like a MOFO... too bad I can't really take the rpm passed 4000 until I have a few more miles...

Matt put many many hours of diligent and detailed work into this effort and overcame many problems associated with custom fabrication…

I really tip my hat to Matt and I can say without a doubt that if he can handle this job on my car, he can handle any job on a TDI ...

A huge Thanks for all your hard work Matt :D