Center rear power plug repair options

Lotawood

TDI
2005 BHW Passat sedan
Mine is messed up also. I thought about converting it to USB only. But I never got around to it.
This is what I thought about using.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Thanks Lotawood for the reply. It looks like a good idea to convert to USB via the socket you propose (or similar). Any thoughts about how to dismantle this? I can always go trial and error but I would like to see if somewone has done it first.

igiveup

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat, 2009 Jetta
Its been a while but I think if you get you finger in the hole beside the socket and pull the whole plate comes off. Then you'll have a good view of what you're dealing with.

Lotawood

TDI
2005 BHW Passat sedan
I tried to fix the flip up mechanism, on the back seat car outlet. When it looked like it was over engineered and a couple of things broke, I thought just have a flush mount and put in something with USB. I want a cord to plug stuff in, mostly just a cell phone. I would rather have that not in the shifter area and that front ash tray.
I didn't come up with anything flush mount yet. If it were a house outlet or light switch there are options. Nothing in options here other than make your own for a VW. I'm too busy with a ranch job to work on much personal stuff until January thru March.
That said, you can open the flip up arm rest and take out the plastic liner. You can see plenty with that out. I think I had that plate and assembly out on the bench. I also thought that outlet was hot all the time.
Probably not much advantage on the link suggestion with voltage indicator, for a back seat application.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Mine is messed up also. I thought about converting it to USB only. But I never got around to it.
This is what I thought about using.

Well I followed your recommendation and I had my TDI Guru installed it earlier this week. This is going to be very practical solution for our road trips so thank you for the suggestion:

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
That looks nice.
Can you share how the rectangle back piece is set up?
Well I am not sure how Brian did it telling you the truth. I just ask him to install it as part of some other work he was doing on the car. I am happy to pay someone that I know is an honest and skillful person for something that is used so often.