CEL & Other Dashboard Light Problems

CAPwTDIs

Occasionally upon startup, the instrument panel lights on my '96 Passat TDI will not come on. These lights and gauge needles will also temporarily drop to 0 while driving with no change to performance. Yesterday, a tap to the dashboard caused the lights to come back on at start-up; however, shortly before driving off the CEL came on and stayed on. The CEL continues to come on about 15 seconds after turning on the engine and remains on for the duration of my trips. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
IIRC, the 96s had problems with the voltage regulators in the panel. They would just die.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Two things to do.

(1) Clean all of the grounds in the engine compartment. Actually, I think there's one near the fuse/relay panel too.

(2) if (1) doesn't do the trick, consider which method you will use to replace the ignition switch.

CAPwTDIs

I had the codes read this morning for the CEL -- they came up as 00626 (glo plug indicator light, open circuit/short circuit to ground sporadic) and 00750 (warning lamp, open circuit/short circuit to ground spradic). I was quoted $65 for a gloplug relay to remedy the problem. Does this sound right?