ccv mod

tom007

TDI
99 vw beetle tdi
Hi
I have heard that people reroute or modify the ccv. I have a 99 beetle tdi ans am wondering what the point/purpose/advantage of this would be? There are youtube vids and several posting about how to do it but they never mention why. Thanks for all the replies in advance!

Louis_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Gls
It's to prevent having the intake clog up. I had one for a bit in summer it worked great but as soon as it got below freezing ice would form in the filter and build up pressure in the crank case not good! So I went back to stock and clean my intake instead.

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 MK4 Jetta (ALH) "Betty" (sold), 2005 MK4 Jetta (BEW) "Stinky-Pete"
...actually the modification is adding a catch-can in-line between the crankcase vent puck and the Turbo Inlet Pipe to keep free engine oil from entering the charge-air system.
Mine accumulates about 250 ml (1 cup) of oil per year.

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 MK4 Jetta (ALH) "Betty" (sold), 2005 MK4 Jetta (BEW) "Stinky-Pete"
I searched "oil catch-can" on ebay and paid less than $30 with shipping for everything except two plumbing adapters I bought from Home Depot

keaton85

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4
If you disable your EGR the CCV oil will not cause build-up issues. Yes, there will be oil in your IC piping but that does not effect performance.

Personally, I don't know if the EGR system will start blocking the intake without the presents of oil. That is an unknown to me. I've had my EGR unplugged for about a year since I cleaned the intake and head. Now, it just has oil residue all over the inside without and crusty gooy build-up when the EGR was hooked up.