CCV Mod Updates?

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
i just dump CCV to atmosphere. through a little $10 canister from tractor supply with scrubby inside. works great, no problems. good if you are making lots of boost. if i had a relatively stock car with an egr delete, i would just leave the ccv routed back to the intake as it is. but i don't :)

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 MK4 Jetta (ALH) "Betty" (sold), 2005 MK4 Jetta (BEW) "Stinky-Pete"
LOL... the tank probably weighs as much as your red butterflies :D
...now your contention that there is thrust provided by your mod that equals the amount of power produced by igniting the CCV gas in the cylinders could be accurate although inconsequential from an environmental perspective.
...hmmm?

Last edited:

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
+1 on the E-vac system...after seeing Andy's at TDIfest 2012 I began fabricating my own E-vac system out of stuff I had around the shop and a little welding. I notice more power with it installed...mine is on my 91 GTI of course ;)

_Christ

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDi
+1 on the E-vac system...after seeing Andy's at TDIfest 2012 I began fabricating my own E-vac system out of stuff I had around the shop and a little welding. I notice more power with it installed...mine is on my 91 GTI of course ;)
Would you be willing to run some tests on the system and provide supporting data?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Thanks! And, the next time we meet, you've got to take me for a ride in that machine of yours. I missed out in Ypsilanti!

Would you be willing to run some tests on the system and provide supporting data?
What kind of tests would you like to have conducted?

- I can tell you, if there's any back pressure, it is very very close to zero because my engine does not leak oil anywhere!
- In due time, I'd like to install a vacuum/turbo gauge to see how the vacuum/pressure fluctuates?

The only tests I ran were very crude. I initially installed the E-vac device pre-CAT. There was obviuos back pressure, bad results. I re-located the device post-CAT and could "feel" with my "spit wet" finger a distinct pulsing vacuum at idle!

Now, doing a HP test on a dyno machine, I'll leave that to Chris.:eek:

The E-vac System (or similar) has been around for years. The dudes that run big engines in the mud bog competitions here in my neck of the woods have one on each bank of a V-8 engine (that's 8 cylinders).

Lastly, if my engine runs better with this system, which I firmly believe it does, then it is obviously more efficient!.... thus, overall, less pollution!:D

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
I wonder where you'd have to run a e-vac system if you didn't have a cat in place? Or do you think it was the restriction of the cat that caused your issue? (ie pressure not vacuum)

_Christ

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDi
It'd have been the restriction of the cat...

The vaccum/pressure gauge is what I'd like to see really... one in the line and maybe one tapped at the block somewhere to determine if its pulling enough to defeat the inflow from the vac pump at least. Ideal would be neutral pressure or maybe 1-3" constant vacuum... I don't remember the exact numbers for high HP engines but that's not ultimately the goal here, either.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
I don't have a cat and have a bunk O2 sensor in the DP right now, would be a neat little mod to do instead of having a drip of oil on the driveway from venting to the atmosphere.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
If you go to my Photo Gallery and look for the Album on the E-Vac System, you will see all the pics. Go to the first and move to the last pic. You can see how it was done the first time then re-done post-CAT.

My guess is that it would not work well pre-Muffler on a stock muffler due to back pressure waves. You would have to run a hose/tube all the way to the rear of the vehicle and set it up post-Muffler. Considering, there are two pipes, I'm not sure how that would work. A T may prove fruitless due to one sucking on the other and not the CCV up front.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
I'll have to check for vacuum on the O2 sensor port and see what happens. With no restrictions (ie no cat or muffler) it should work. Great pics btw.

Last edited:

tom007

TDI
99 vw beetle tdi
Wow...that is pretty hi tech! I have no cat, just a hiflow down pipe and a porter muffler. I also live in Minneapolis, MN so will this work up north where it gets kinda chilly for a good portion of the year. Also what parts and where can i get them? Home Depot or online like IDparts or kermatdi?

tom007

TDI
99 vw beetle tdi
sorry...didnt see that this thread had more than 1 page got all the info i need now thanks again!

Bran Diezel

Veteran Member
TDI
On my 5th TDi - 2003 ALH 5spd Wagon
I'm not sure about our cars but you do know the PCV system is 2 fold on most cars? To draw out the oil laden crank vapors but to also drawn in fresh air into the crankcase?

ig109

Veteran Member
TDI
F
I am planning to cut the cat off of our car and delete the EGR soon.. How close is too close to run the Reed Valve CCV into exhaust system.. IE.. can I place the insert in the pipe I plan to put in place of the cat??

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed
i just dumped my CCV oil into my collection bin. not exactly clean. i would not like it draining back into the engine. drained about 1/2 cup. had a long interval this time. usually just a few tablespoons.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Up until it got caught in your oil catcher it was the exact same oil as what was in your pan. Absolutely no reason not to drain it back to the sump.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
i just dumped my CCV oil into my collection bin. not exactly clean. i would not like it draining back into the engine. drained about 1/2 cup. had a long interval this time. usually just a few tablespoons.
That's the same oil that's sitting in your oilpan, lol.

ig109

Veteran Member
TDI
F
All Cummins Engines dump the coalescer drain off back into the crankcase..

I would rather suck it into the exaust stream.. I am going to move forward with putting the bung in the pipe that will replace the cat.. Im going with the higher the velocity of air moving past the CCV port the more vacuum will be created.. therefore the more effective it will be..

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed
where does the moisture go that builds up in the oil pan? mine goes into the CCV, which goes into the collection bin. do what you want.

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 MK4 Jetta (ALH) "Betty" (sold), 2005 MK4 Jetta (BEW) "Stinky-Pete"
...as the oil begins to cool inside the engine it also contracts in volume which draws in moisture laden outside air until the temperature and pressure inside the engine has equalized with the outside air temperature and pressure....
typically, the moisture will flash-off when the oil temp >100C