CBEA engine swap questions

Alberta 7.3

TDI
CBEA Ranger under construction
Picked up a 2009 Jetta for a decent price with a healthy engine for a parts donor. My plan is to TDI swap a Ford Ranger.

Through several years of lurking around this place, I've learned quite a bit about what is involved to pull off one of these swaps. I know I'll have to send my ECM off to Malone for immo delete and other setup. I know to avoid limp mode I will have to do things like properly connect the brake light switch, and add a clutch switch. Donor car is automatic, while the truck is a manual, can this be fixed with the tune? From what I have read, for vehicle speed input, the ECM uses ABS wheel sensor inputs via CAN bus, so will I have to cobble something together to get wheel sensors on my axles, or has someone figured out a solution for a transmission or driveshaft sensor?

As far as stripping the donor of the usual suspects like the wiring harness, fuel system, ECM, and pedals/switches, are there any other parts I should be raiding?

Straypoet

Veteran Member
TDI
BHW 2.0, soon to be in my Wrangler.
What ECM does the CBEA use?
Keep the whole car until the end of the swap unless you are absolutely sure what you will need.

Alberta 7.3

TDI
What ECM does the CBEA use?
Keep the whole car until the end of the swap unless you are absolutely sure what you will need.
I'm not sure what ECM it uses, I just picked up the car Monday and haven't taken anything apart yet.

I'd like to keep the car, but space is a premium since I am using someone elses shop and can't have crap laying about their yard, hence the reason of this thread to ask what parts over and above an older engine swap will be required from the car.

Straypoet

Veteran Member
TDI
BHW 2.0, soon to be in my Wrangler.
well, in the BHW conversion, I kept radiator, full engine harness, and most of the body harness, intercooler, engine, foot pedal, and then I basically took the whole dash apart to get connectors, relays, and lots of fasteners and bolts that usually come in handy.
I would keep as much as you have space for, then just toss what you dont use in the end.
I didn't end up using radiator and intercooler, so they got tossed, but it was good peace of mind to have them around.

Alberta 7.3

TDI
From what I have read, the newer cars have much more tied to the canbus and resources are shared for some things. I originally wanted a BHW but the Passat market is getting quite sparse in my area, so I had to opt for a newer car, along with the additional headaches of making it standalone for a swap.