Catalytic converter light just came on

switters

TDI
none
As I was driving home just now the catalytic converter light came on in my 2011 JSW TDI. Called the dealer and they told me to bring it in Monday morning (they close at 4:00 today and are already booked). He said I could drive it around town if the light isn't blinking, but to pay close attention and if it starts blinking be ready to pull over.

What causes this? The car only has 2,700 miles on it and is 9 months old.

Is there anything I can do in the meantime?

sledstorm1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Tdi 4dr 6mt
The car is telling you that it needs to regen. Do a search on here there is a lot of info. You need to drive the car for twenty mins at a steedy highway speed and try to keep it above 2100 rpm. You may have to drive in fourth or fith gear. This will hopefully start a regen. These cars like it best when driven for more then ten miles daily short trips can screw things up.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Good advice from sledstorm1. Go for a nice 30 minute steady-state cruise and see if it does a regen. If so, the light should go out.

If you have VCDS, you could hook it up and see what's going on.

switters

TDI
none
These cars like it best when driven for more then ten miles daily short trips can screw things up.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk
Uh oh. Wish I would have known that before buying it. Daily short trips account for about 90% of our driving. Guess I'm going to have to find a reason to take some longer highway trips.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Did anyone notice that the OP did not tell us what make, model, and year? In fact we don't know if it is even a diesel. He did note that it is not a TDI.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Did anyone notice that the OP did not tell us what make, model, and year? In fact we don't know if it is even a diesel. He did note that it is not a TDI.
You need to check your eyes...

First Sentence said:
As I was driving home just now the catalytic converter light came on in my 2011 JSW TDI.

Yamasaki

TDI
'12 Golf TDI
As I was driving home just now the catalytic converter light came on in my 2011 JSW TDI. Called the dealer and they told me to bring it in Monday morning (they close at 4:00 today and are already booked). He said I could drive it around town if the light isn't blinking, but to pay close attention and if it starts blinking be ready to pull over.

What causes this? The car only has 2,700 miles on it and is 9 months old.

Is there anything I can do in the meantime?
If you look at the owners manual for the Golf/Jetta/JSW, you will notice that the 'catalytic converter' light is actually what we would generally call the 'check engine light', not the DPF light.

To the OP: Does the light look like this:

DPF light

Or

Catalytic Converter Light

If its the bottom light, take it to a dealer. If it is the top light, do what those above have said.

switters

TDI
none
Yamasaki: it's the bottom light. So you're saying the regen won't work in this circumstance?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Correct and good catch, Yamasaki! If it's the MIL (malfunction indicator light), doing the driving procedure won't do you any good. That light comes on for any number of generic codes, sensor deficiencies, etc. Your dealer will be able to scan and address the problem.

TDI
Jetta MKVI
I don't know if this is relevant, but maybe you guys could help answer my problem. I recently went to get an inspection and the dealer told me my O2 and Catback monitors are incomplete. He failed me for the inspection told me I don't drive enough / far distances at high speed and for me to do that and the monitors will complete. Well I did just that my O2 monitor completed but catalyst monitor did not. Anyone know what could be up? I have a 2011 Jetta Tdi (manual) 34k

markward

Veteran Member
TDI
82 Vanagon and 2011 JSW
TY, It seems after further reading here, the owner's manual is not exactly correct for the 2011 TDI JSW. The owner manual calls it a Catalytic Convertor warning light, but it really is a check engine light. I'll connect the VCDS this weekend and see what is actually recorded. I was going on what my wife told me. Thanks again.