Catalytic Converter Advice

Should I go OEM or third-party?

• Total voters

brandonf

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
Hello, I had one of the catalytic converters stolen out of my 2015 Golf TDI S last summer. Apparently there are two of them, and they stole the more expensive one. I had a mechanic install a straight pipe then due to cost, but am now going to have the cat replaced.

The car has ~146k miles and I only owe $1,000 on it. Is it worth getting the OEM replacement, or should I consider a cheaper third-party replacement?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Go 3rd party since you are not in a CARB state. All EPA approved cats are alike.... the difference is in the materials and quality of welds ect.... in the sheet metal and heat shield.
Assuming it actually is legit epa aproved and not some hack

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Bastards. The insurance won't cover an OEM replacement?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Hello, I had one of the catalytic converters stolen out of my 2015 Golf TDI S last summer. Apparently there are two of them, and they stole the more expensive one. I had a mechanic install a straight pipe then due to cost, but am now going to have the cat replaced.

The car has ~146k miles and I only owe $1,000 on it. Is it worth getting the OEM replacement, or should I consider a cheaper third-party replacement?
Shouldn't car insurance have covered the cost? It is vandalism which is covered.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
i did not know you could say that... you must be special....

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Non O.E. cats will flag and fail here in California. Non O.E. will pass in some states.

It can/will fail the smog ultimately if the (known OVERLY sensitivs) code conditions are met

I'm not sure if VW is less sensitive than my Toyota with a set of non O,E.M. cats. They can/will throw a P0420 and/or P0430 code due to the aftermarket cat(s) not having sufficient amounts of metals. (Not enough oxygen saturation under rare conditions).

There is a couple of practical ways around it however using o2 spacers. This "numbs" the over zealous hypersensitive parameters. Kind of like the VWs counterintuitive new deiselgate tune. It is sooo sensitive it kills major smog components creating more demand for dwindling components, Gotta laugh (SMH) at the ultra green people who more often than not shot themselves in their own carbon footprint!