Cat 3208

businmotion

TDI
1980 Gillig bus
Hello all, this is my 1st post here, I am in Seattle soon to Oregon then Colorado. I drive with a 3 tank Frybrid system... I am looking to meet travelers and people experienced with a CAT 3208. .

captain of bus#3
www.businmotion.com

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Find someone on a ship. They know all about boat anchors.

I actually have very little experience with them but the Cat guys I know all call it that.

businmotion

TDI
1980 Gillig bus
SoCalC said:
I know a 3208T rated at 300hp in a 'bus' application.
sorry for the late reply... I have a hunting idle. Once the bus is warmed up the problem lessens.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
I just called at Cat guy and he said that you probably have air in the fuel system. Common points are the hand bleeder and the injectors if they are under the valve cover.

Has the fuel system been updated to fuel lines that are compatible with your fuel choice?

businmotion

TDI
1980 Gillig bus

whitedog said:
the hand bleeder
this is something I have been having issues with, Either it bleeds petroleum into the street through a vent hose OR closes to the point the manual primer pump has no movement. as of now its at a happy medium.

icecap

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI 5Spd Black Anthracite Pkg 1
businmotion said:
this is something I have been having issues with, Either it bleeds petroleum into the street through a vent hose OR closes to the point the manual primer pump has no movement. as of now its at a happy medium.
The bleeder valve on top of the governor housing should be firmly closed and it is normal for the hand primer pump to come up firm once the air is bled out. The pump handle should also be firmly screwed in and bottomed as it can leak and suck air if not seated. A leaking hand primer pump shaft when pumping is also an indication that it could suck air and should be replaced. The fuel leak you have should also be checked to the source since you usually have 2 parallel plastic tubes that terminate near the oil pan. One of the tubes is to vent the bleeder valve and the other is for the injection pump fuel transfer pump tell-tale hole. The tell-tale hole is there to prevent fuel from transferring into the crankcase if the pump seal leaks. In the event that your 3208 is an "oldie" and doesn't have the sleeve metered injection pump but is equiped with the old scroll (port helix) type injection pump a governor hunt at idle could be caused by a worn or broken torque spring that drives the governor flyweights.
Whitedog, the 3208 has also been called a "dixie cup" engine as it is a low budget production cast block with 2 ring pistons. However, be kind since we "cat people" don't always call John Deere products sand box toys:) .

Last edited:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
When running, the hand pump should be locked down if it's like other primers on Cats that I have seen. Probably a Bosch Inline injection pump?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
icecap said:
The bleeder valve on top of the governor housing should be firmly closed and it is normal for the hand primer pump to come up firm once the air is bled out. The pump handle should also be firmly screwed in and bottomed as it can leak and suck air if not seated. A leaking hand primer pump shaft when pumping is also an indication that it could suck air and should be replaced. The fuel leak you have should also be checked to the source since you usually have 2 parallel plastic tubes that terminate near the oil pan. One of the tubes is to vent the bleeder valve and the other is for the injection pump fuel transfer pump tell-tale hole. The tell-tale hole is there to prevent fuel from transferring into the crankcase if the pump seal leaks. In the event that your 3208 is an "oldie" and doesn't have the sleeve metered injection pump but is equiped with the old scroll (port helix) type injection pump a governor hunt at idle could be caused by a worn or broken torque spring that drives the governor flyweights.
Whitedog, the 3208 has also been called a "dixie cup" engine as it is a low budget production cast block with 2 ring pistons. However, be kind since we "cat people" don't always call John Deere products sand box toys:) .
I wish I had rememeber you earlier since you know these engines. How can your average Deere Mechanic easily identify which pump it is by looking? The Cat Guy I talked with mentioned injectors under the valve cover but I don't know much else.

icecap

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI 5Spd Black Anthracite Pkg 1
whitedog said:
I wish I had rememeber you earlier since you know these engines. How can your average Deere Mechanic easily identify which pump it is by looking? The Cat Guy I talked with mentioned injectors under the valve cover but I don't know much else.
Hi whitedog,
The sleeve metered pump has the pump elements held in with a nut that has an external spline and the scroll pump has the pumping elements held in with an internal spline nut (like a doughnut with threads on the outside and splines around the inside of the hole. It also has doughnut shaped felt seals that fill the inside cavity where the fuel lines attach to keep dirt from falling in.

businmotion

TDI
1980 Gillig bus
so my IP

so the rack is getting stuck in the injector pump which means I have to use starting fluid in the air intake to give it a kick,,,once its running Its running... is there any Montana CAT people??

AudiMatt

TDI
2010 JSW TDi DSG
If the rack is getting stuck I'd be careful with starting fluid. If the rack got stuck in the full throttle position things would be very bad... I've built many 3208/ts and I have never been impressed with them. It may be time to have your injection pump gone through..

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
If the rack was getting stuck, starting fluid would not cure that. I wonder if your piston rings are getting stuck from polymerized lube oil from the WVO. Check the blowby flow from the rocker cover mist separator. High flow there? Leaky rings.

When you crank engine and it does not start, is there white smoke (heavy) coming from the exhaust? If so it is fueling, but not firing. That is typical of low compression.

Have you been changing the lube oil frequently?? On WVO it craps up fast.

-Eric

businmotion

TDI
1980 Gillig bus
Ski in NC said:
If the rack was getting stuck, starting fluid would not cure that.
even if the rack is just barely sticking.. ive spent time in it before and massaged it to life

Ski in NC said:
Check the blowby flow from the rocker cover mist separator. High flow there? Leaky rings.
how do i measeure this flow?

AudiMatt said:
It may be time to have your injection pump gone through..
yeah, i just might buy another bus for the IP.. its cheaper that way plus then i get all sorts of spare parts.

Is there any quality products to stop an engine from leaking oil.. this problem is unrelated to the IP but my air compressor is getting dirty leakin oil. Its always done this but not as severe as this last 70 miles. I tightened the bolts but it could be a bad Air compressor now?? ANY EFFECTIVE PRODUCTS

Last edited: