Castrol SLX Professional OE in 2009 TDI

rodneyh1

TDI
2009 Jetta
I just got my oil changed at my local dealer for the 1st time. Before they started they said they would be using Castrol Professional, and I assumed they meant the OEL. When he started to refill the oil, I noticed he was using Castrol SLX Professional OE SAE 5W30. I stopped him and let him know that it doesn't meet the VW 507 00 spec called out in the manual. The only VW specs on the bottle are 502 00, 505 00, and 505 01.

This sent the tech and mgr into a panic. After about 10 minutes of discussion and calls (I wasn't present for this part), the mgr informed me that the newest batches of OE actually do meet the 507 00 spec, but haven't been labeled as such yet. They said that this exact same oil would be labeled OEL (with the 507 00 spec) in the future. Apparently this was from some VW tech support guys recent conversations with the Castrol people. Does this sound right, or am I being jerked around to cover up a screw-up?

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
I think the 507 castrol is labeled slx LL03 or something like that. It is a different bottle and a different oil. Sounds like BS to me. I think they put the wrong oil in. -Eric

dennisjs

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI sportwagen 6spd, 2012 Touareg TDI Lux bought back by VW and traded on a new 2016 Touareg TDI Lux
rodneyh1 said:
I just got my oil changed at my local dealer for the 1st time. Before they started they said they would be using Castrol Professional, and I assumed they meant the OEL. When he started to refill the oil, I noticed he was using Castrol SLX Professional OE SAE 5W30. I stopped him and let him know that it doesn't meet the VW 507 00 spec called out in the manual. The only VW specs on the bottle are 502 00, 505 00, and 505 01.
This sent the tech and mgr into a panic. After about 10 minutes of discussion and calls (I wasn't present for this part), the mgr informed me that the newest batches of OE actually do meet the 507 00 spec, but haven't been labeled as such yet. They said that this exact same oil would be labeled OEL (with the 507 00 spec) in the future. Apparently this was from some VW tech support guys recent conversations with the Castrol people. Does this sound right, or am I being jerked around to cover up a screw-up?
The wife went to the local VW dealer this morning to pick up the cargo mat (it was on back order for a month) and to get some 507.00 oil.
The parts guy brought out the same oil and stated that this is what they used in all their diesels. She refused the oil and showed him the owner's manual where it clearly calls for the 507.00 oil. He admitted that the only way the parts guys know about an oil change specification is from the customers. VW has sent them no notification so unless someone comes to the counter they have no clue. I guess she asked them if they used a bulk oil in the service department and he stated no that they used the same Castrol SLX Professional OE SAE 5W30. I guess that means if you put a quick 10,000 miles on your new TDI and you take it to most dealers for a oil change they will put the wrong oil in. Nevertheless this dealer was now going to order several cases of the correct 507.00 spec oil.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Ah, isn't it wonderful how the dealers are clueless?

The old Castrol 5w30 Professional OE SLX does not meet the 507.00 spec and is in a black quart bottle (like the Syntec bottles).

The new Castrol 5w30 Professional OE LL03 comes in a gold Liter bottle, and is what should be used in the 2009 engine and is 507.00 spec.

The 507.00 spec is a low ash formula for use in cars with a DPF.

If you do not use the correct oil, DAMAGE TO THE DPF WILL RESULT!!!!

I suspect both the old and new oils will be available through the dealers, as well as the old 5w40 505.00 Syntec-branded oil. It is clearly once again up to the vehicle owner to insure the correct oil be used. :rolleyes:

FWIW, the local dealer where our shop gets its parts from had no clue about the new oil, and not only did I have to inform them about it, but I also had to provide the VAG part number for it... yeah, true but sad.

Last edited:

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
oilhammer said:
Ah, isn't it wonderful how the dealers are clueless?

The old Castrol 5w30 Professional OE SLX does not meet the 507.00 spec and is in a black quart bottle (like the Syntec bottles).

The new Castrol 5w30 Professional OE LL03 comes in a gold Liter bottle, and is what should be used in the 2009 engine and is 507.00 spec.

The 507.00 spec is a low ash formula for use in cars with a DPF.

If you do not use the correct oil, DAMAGE TO THE DPF WILL RESULT!!!!

I suspect both the old and new oils will be available through the dealers, as well as the old 5w40 505.00 Syntec-branded oil. It is clearly once again up to the vehicle owner to insure the correct oil be used. :rolleyes:

FWIW, the local dealer where our shop gets its parts from had no clue about the new oil, and not only did I have to inform them about it, but I also had to provide the VAG part number for it... yeah, true but sad.
Apparently some are clueless. Just think when the first DPF needs replaced under warranty during that first 36k mile warranty using that "VW care" service. If the owner took the car to the dealer for the changes, the owner can't completely be to blame in this situation as the manufacturer included the cost of oil changes in the price of the car.

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
rodneyh1 said:
Does this sound right, or am I being jerked around to cover up a screw-up?
I would never accept this "old bottle, new oil" argument. If it don't say so on the label, it ain't. Period.

I'm more convinced than ever that when I take her in for her first oil change I'm going to insist that they leave me an empty bottle from the oil change as evidence that they used a 507.00 oil. And I'm going to tape a 3x5 card to the oil filler cap. And I'm going to insist on speaking first to the guy who will do the oil change.

"Carefree Service" my sweet wazoo. If only VW service was just half as great as VW cars are....

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Wrong Oil

Call VWOA customer service at 1-800-822-8987 and complain ASAP that dealer is putting in wrong oil!

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
GEN II 505.01 oil is also a DPF acceptable oil. It has been lowered to .8% ash. Unlike GEN I 505.01 GEN II is SM - LL04 and MB 229.51

RUSHtheBUS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan. #13,500
Again, I knew this would come in helpful....

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a364/AudiJunkie/SLXpro.jpg&imgrefurl=http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php%3Ft%3D227076&h=500&w=342&sz=70&hl=en&start=6&sig2=jSYRqNtLDGmO4hhf0Ho_Lg&um=1&usg=__qj_MqlnqL4-ZOUxJFd147m8PN7M=&tbnid=FJbZIxOawZgetM:&tbnh=130&tbnw=89&ei=LvUESfDtKJeWerfBybYO&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcastrol%2Bll03%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4DKUS_enUS214US215%26sa%3DN

Thank you for contacting Castrol North America,

SLX Professional LL03 SAE 5w-30 is formulated for VW vehicles, is a fully
Synthetic Motor Oil and meets the following specs:

* 504 00, 507 00
* ACEA A3/B4, C3

SLX Professional is a branded product only available in North America
through VW Dealerships.

Castrol Consumer Relations

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2008 6:47 PM
To: Online customer service
Subject: Castrol USA - Contact Us Form Data
Importance: High

Subject: Castrol USA - Contact Us Form Data

Dear Online customer service,

UNIQUEREFERENCEID : 1691481
DATE : Thu Sep 18 22:25:16 GMT 2008
TITLE : Mr.
FIRST NAME : Peter
LAST NAME :
EMAIL : peter
ADDRESS :
CITY : Mastic Beach
STATE : NY
ZIP CODE : 11951
LEGAL DISCLAIMER. : YES
CATEGORY : For Me
SUBCATEGORY : Products
PHONE NUMBER :
CONTACTREASON : Inquiry
INQUIRYDETAILS : My new 2009 Jetta TDI has "Castrol" stamped on the
oil fill. I know that the new VW TDI requires VW approved 507 oil.
However, I can not find any information about VW 507 oil on your web site.
In fact, the vehicle selection only goes up to 2007 and there's no TDI
available in your model selection. Do I have Castrol in my engine from the
factory? What weight is it? Will I be able to buy 507 at my local parts
store? Thank you.
CARMAKE : Volkswagen
CARMODEL : Jetta TDI
CARYEAR : 2009
WHOCHAGESTHEOIL : ---
BUSINESSINVOLVEMENTTYPE : ---

RUSHtheBUS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan. #13,500
DoctorDawg said:
I'm more convinced than ever that when I take her in for her first oil change I'm going to insist that they leave me an empty bottle from the oil change as evidence that they used a 507.00 oil. And I'm going to tape a 3x5 card to the oil filler cap. And I'm going to insist on speaking first to the guy who will do the oil change.

"Carefree Service" my sweet wazoo. If only VW service was just half as great as VW cars are....
I was thinking the same thing but on a different level. I will insist that the bring me the bottles before they service the car. I will confirm the oil before they work on the car. I will write the lot numbers from the the bottles down. Then I'll ask for the empty bottles.

GotBass?

TDI
2009 Candy White Highline Jetta Wagon
I took delivery of a 2009 TDI Jetta wagon last Wednesday. During delivery, I was specifically told to only use Castrol SLX Professional OE oil. The dealer even gave me a bottle. Ill give them a call on Monday to let them know it's the wrong oil and I'll keep an eye on them at my first oil change.

TDI-Geek

TDI
1.9 Jetta TDI
that is exactly what I did

I had them leave my the empties and the half litter to top off....

DoctorDawg said:
I would never accept this "old bottle, new oil" argument. If it don't say so on the label, it ain't. Period.

TDI
2009 JSW
Not all dealers are clueless.

I walked up to the parts counter at our dealer on Saturday, asked for 12 bottles of 507 oil, and the gentleman promptly walked back with a case of LL03. He says that's the only oil they use for the '09 TDIs, and he's right. The LL03 and a bottle of OE SLX sit prominently on a display shelf at their counter. It helps that many of the staff there are TDI owners.

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
I'm at my next OCI, and after reading this thread I thought I'd call my local dealership to see what they charged before ordering online from one of the registered vendors. Dealership closest to my house said $8/quart on the Castrol SLX Professional OESAE 5W30 505.01, and after reading this thread I thought I'd go ahead and ask about the 507. My rationale being it comes in the liter bottles, and if it's at or near the same cost as 505.01, I'd rather have the 507 and have a little extra for topping off. Better oil anyway, even if overkill for my car. So the guy in the parts department had to put me on hold when I asked about 507. When he came back he said it was the same $8/liter (which seems like a really good price for 507.00), but then he said you can only use "that kind" on the V-10 Toureg TDI. I thought it pointless to get into an argument over it being backwards-compatible, but out of curiosity I did ask what they were using for the 2009s. He said 505.01 is all that's required.:eek:

But that's not the worst of it. I decided to call the dealership near where my wife works thinking it might save me a trip if she could pick it up on the way home. Same $8/qt. for the Castrol SLX Professional OESAE 5W30 505.01. But get this. When I asked about 507, he yelled a question to someone else in the background "Is that the stuff that people keep seeing on the Internet and asking us about?" I guess the reply was affirmative, b/c he then got back on the phone and said that 507 was only sold in Europe and they couldn't get it even if I wanted it, but in any event no car in the U.S. needs the 507.00:eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
Zambee500 said:
So the guy in the parts department had to put me on hold when I asked about 507. When he came back he said it was the same $8/liter (which seems like a really good price for 507.00), but then he said you can only use "that kind" on the V-10 Toureg TDI. I thought it pointless to get into an argument over it being backwards-compatible, but out of curiosity I did ask what they were using for the 2009s. He said 505.01 is all that's required.

But that's not the worst of it. I decided to call the dealership near where my wife works thinking it might save me a trip if she could pick it up on the way home. Same $8/qt. for the Castrol SLX Professional OESAE 5W30 505.01. But get this. When I asked about 507, he yelled a question to someone else in the background "Is that the stuff that people keep seeing on the Internet and asking us about?" I guess the reply was affirmative, b/c he then got back on the phone and said that 507 was only sold in Europe and they couldn't get it even if I wanted it, but in any event no car in the U.S. needs the 507.00
I think I found a hidden message there, Zambee. :eek:

I've found the best option when dealing with parts counter flunkies is to be friendly, cheerful and only give them part numbers. Never ask "what is the right X for my TDI" because 99.999% of the time, they will never know. Just call them up again and say, "I want a 12 liter case of GVW052195M2, how much and how soon can you get it?". Don't be afraid to call around, either. I used to work nearish to a dealer that could get anything in for me in about 24 hours and relatively cheap - Matteson VW. Now I'm much closer to a complete ripoff stealership (Mike Haggerty) and further away from one that's mediocre on price (Autobarn Countryside).

Bottom line, support your TDIClub-supporting vendors whenver possible. :D

scurvy

And yes, you can get the 507.00 GVW052195M2 in the US. I just bought (another) case of it - it is made in Austria and imported through Canada, but if the parts monkeys give you any flak about it take your business elsewhere.

TDI
2009 JSW
Zambee500 said:
. . . he then got back on the phone and said that 507 was only sold in Europe and they couldn't get it even if I wanted it, but in any event no car in the U.S. needs the 507.00:eek::eek::eek:
It's in the owner's manual. All they have to do is walk out on the showroom floor and open the glove box on one.

Knuckleheads.

I'm beginning to appreciate my dealer more now.

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
I apparently got the OE stuff put in my car today. I wasnt aware there was a 505.01 oil in 30w.

jaydogg007

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
So, this is my biggest fear with the carefree maintenance with my 09. I'll check with my local dealership to see if they have the 507 spec oil. Also confirms my plan to bring my own filters and oil in on my first carefree oil change if I am uncomfortable with their attention to detail. I'd rather be 100% sure the service is done correctly.

What needs to be done if the car is driven with the wrong oil filled? Any flushes, additional cleanout?

j...

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
While it may not be the best choice for a 09, I doubt that GEN II 505.01 - SM - LL04 - 229.51 oil will hurt your egnine or emission system at all. The Best thing to do is write VW and ask. If you write Germany they will forward it to the right people at VWoA.

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
scurvy said:
I've found the best option when dealing with parts counter flunkies is to be friendly, cheerful and only give them part numbers. Never ask "what is the right X for my TDI" because 99.999% of the time, they will never know. Just call them up again and say, "I want a 12 liter case of GVW052195M2, how much and how soon can you get it?". Don't be afraid to call around, either. I used to work nearish to a dealer that could get anything in for me in about 24 hours and relatively cheap - Matteson VW. Now I'm much closer to a complete ripoff stealership (Mike Haggerty) and further away from one that's mediocre on price (Autobarn Countryside).
I agree. I didn't have the parts numbers, but I called asking for specific oil rather than asking what goes in my car. And I also realize it's not the parts department that determines what goes into what car, that they just fill the orders sent over from the service department. But that all being said, when a parts mgr. says they only put 507 in the Toureg TDI and 505.01 in all the 2009's, I believe him that his particular dealership is in fact doing that. And when a parts dept. at another dealership says they don't even carry (and can't get) 507 oil, then I feel confident that their service department isn't using it in either the Toureg TDI or the 2009 TDI's. That to me makes me think that a significant chunk, if not majority, of 2009 TDI's and Toureg TDI's in north Georgia are running on the wrong oil right now.

Andy_2009_JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI (DSG)[SOLD BACK], 2012 Golf 2.5L Gasser (5MT), 2017 Alltrack S (6MT)
Zambee500 said:
I agree. I didn't have the parts numbers, but I called asking for specific oil rather than asking what goes in my car. And I also realize it's not the parts department that determines what goes into what car, that they just fill the orders sent over from the service department. But that all being said, when a parts mgr. says they only put 507 in the Toureg TDI and 505.01 in all the 2009's, I believe him that his particular dealership is in fact doing that. And when a parts dept. at another dealership says they don't even carry (and can't get) 507 oil, then I feel confident that their service department isn't using it in either the Toureg TDI or the 2009 TDI's. That to me makes me think that a significant chunk, if not majority, of 2009 TDI's and Toureg TDI's in north Georgia are running on the wrong oil right now.
So I'm in the ATL area like you. Bought a 2009 a week or so ago, and I'm presuming that it came FROM THE FACTORY (Pueblo) with the correct 507 grade oil (ie, dealer didn't have a chance to screw it up). Does anyone know if that presumption is correct?

I haven't called my dealer (Jim Ellis) about this issue since I'm only at 600+ miles on the car, and it's only a "courtesy" fluid check @5K (so the service dept there told me), and the first real oil change is @10K. I'm hoping by the time I get to 10K they'll have it sorted out, but of course I'm not gonna blindly trust them, and I will be making sure the right stuff goes in my TDI even if I have to pay for the oil myself.

Is there anything special about the filter itself relative to the new TDI?

Thanks.

TDI
2009 JSW
Andy_2009_JSW said:
So I'm in the ATL area like you. Bought a 2009 a week or so ago, and I'm presuming that it came FROM THE FACTORY (Pueblo) with the correct 507 grade oil (ie, dealer didn't have a chance to screw it up). Does anyone know if that presumption is correct?
My educated guess is that the power train did come from the factory (in Germany) with the correct fluids. Final vehicle assembly is in Mexico. The '09 TDI power trains are still coming from Europe as of now.

Spokane Walt

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Sedan GLS TDI 5sp, 2000 Jetta 2.0 AEG Gas, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon 5sp (wrecked - have some parts!)
scurvy said:
No correction needed - that's the proper part number.

Just in Case Anyone is wondering...

The Older Silver Bottles that don't contain the Castrol Logo and are just called LongLife III are also VW Part Number GVW-052-195-M2

THey looked like this - and have the part number on the back label: