Castrol Edge with Titanium 5w30

crikreef

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup
Before anyone has the chance to say it, I have been waiting for the dealer to give me a manual (since it wasn't in there when I bought the car a month ago) so I didn't have one to check. This is my first TDI and I am obviously a newbie when it comes to TDI's.

I took my car to my old mechanic to get the oil changed today since I didn't know when the dealer/previous owner had done it last and it had been about 4k miles since I bought it. When I got there, he asked what kind of oil I wanted to put in and so I called the VW dealership, which told me to use Castrol SLX Pro full synthetic 5w30 with the 504/507 designation. I relayed all that to my mechanic who promptly called his supplier and ordered some Castrol Edge with Titanium 5w30 and said it was the same thing if not better because it was the newest thing Castrol has. I asked if he was sure because the dealership seemed to really be stressing the importance of that particular oil they mentioned. My mechanic assured me it was ok.

After I got it changed and went to work, I hopped on here and read through the various posts discussing the importance of the 504/507 oils and haven't seen the Castrol Edge with Titanium mentioned in any of the threads discussing different oil options. Now I'm worried that what's in there is NOT "the same or better" and that I need to go and get it changed tomorrow.

Is the Castrol Edge with Titanium 5w30 actually an ok option or do I need to go and get it changed out tomorrow?

Thanks in advance!

Ted Hurst

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
This is not a full synthetic or a low SAPS oil. Long and short is that it will not protect your DPF(Diesel Particulate Filter) from clogging from oil burn off. I would have it drained ASAP and get your mechanic up to speed.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
Wrong oil !!!! Won't harm the engine but will prematurely destroy your very expensive emissions system and will cost you thousands to replace .. Also it can void your warrenty !! Change it ASAP ... Also I would find a mechanic who has experience with VW TDI's.

Last edited:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Is the Castrol Edge with Titanium 5w30 actually an ok option or do I need to go and get it changed out tomorrow?
Crik, welcome aboard. The engine mfr has simplified this question/answer to the lowest possible level: If the bottle doesn't say "507.00" on the label, it can not be used. Isn't that simple :D

Furthermore, use of the incorrect oils is likely to do damage and will certainly void your warranties. Does that make this decision any easier :eek:

crikreef

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup
Thanks for the responses everyone, pretty much what I expected. I will be calling my mechanic today to tell him to replace the oil. Lesson learned!

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
you might consider replacing the mechanic if he cannot be bothered to keep track of such basic and important requirements.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
^^^+1. Brutal, yes, but...
Find a dedicated TDI tech...guru...

Welcome to the club. Sorry you had to start out this way...