Cash For Clunkers!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alnmike

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, its also says that cars older than 1984 cant be traded in for being fuel inefficient???
I have a '82 van that gets like 8mpg. Hasn't been continuously insured (Bought a TDI), but the engine and trans are probably worth more than 4500 just going into the buggy im gonna build someday.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
k1xv said:
Also, you must be able to prove that it was registered and insured for 12 continuous months prior to bringing it in.
I think I found the way that I'm going to weasel around the insurance requirement.

The relevant text of the bill reads: has been continuously insured consistent with the applicable State law

That's open to a little interpretation. In Illinois, the state requires liability insurance if you operate a vehicle on public roadways. Since my vehicle did not operate on public roadways, no insurance was required save for the short trip to the dealership to trade in for the voucher. Therefore, I have been insured consistent with the applicable laws of the state - i.e. the state does not require insurance since I didn't drive the vehicle.

Dealerships are desperately wanting to sell cars. I'll find someone who will interpret the paperwork the same way as I do.

catmandoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta gls tdi,91 2dr jetta gl n/a diesel
it just says that you must prove that it was registered and insured for 12 continuous months.but it doesn't say it has to be the 12 months up til the day you trade it in!

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
catmandoo said:
it just says that you must prove that it was registered and insured for 12 continuous months.but it doesn't say it has to be the 12 months up til the day you trade it in!
If you go to www.cars.gov and click on "the law", you will get a pdf of the actual legislation. As I read it, the 12 months are the 12 months immediately prior to turning it in. The insurance requirement must be "consistent with state law"

See section near the end of the document where "eligible trade-in vehicle" is defined

(7) the term `eligible trade-in vehicle' means an automobile or
a work truck (as such terms are defined in section 32901(a) of
title 49, United States Code) that, at the time it is presented for
trade-in under this section--
(A) is in drivable condition;
(B) has been continuously insured consistent with the
applicable State law and registered to the same owner for
a period of not less than 1 year immediately prior to such
trade-in;
(C) was manufactured less than 25 years before the date
of the trade-in; and
(D) in the case of an automobile, has a combined fuel
economy value of 18 miles per gallon or less;

Vegged-Out

Veteran Member
TDI
2x 2003 Jetta | 2011 BMW 335d | 2016 BMW Xdrive35d
Can you believe my crappy sienna gets 19 mpg (EPA estimate) and doesn't qualify for the program!!!!!

I was hoping to upgrade to a JSW!!

Politicians they think they know what they are doing, just ask 'em!

Shouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GL - 185k
My '94 Cadillac Seville just barely made it at 17mpg. A big body, V8 just barely made it....:eek:
I don't know how many people are actually going to be able to take advantage of this (unless your trading in a truck).

catmandoo

Veteran Member
TDI
i think thats mainly what they are after.old suburbans,and pickups.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
I am getting rid of a 1991 Infiniti Q45 which is rated 17 mpg combined at fueleconomy.gov That is the data they will go by in determining if your trade qualifies.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
Old Navy said:
See rant on page one 1st post. :p
I used to own a 300sd 1981 which got terrific mileage for a car its size.

Absent this program, I would have kept the Infiniti on the road a while longer. I sank over $2000 into it a couple of years ago, and earlier this year had some rear shocks installed. But it is one major repair away from being a part out car. The engine runs perfectly and burns no oil. But the A/C has a coolant leak somewhere, the dash instruments have become unreliable (possibly a bad ground). Because the speed signals from the transmission to the speedometer/odometer are intermittent, the true mileage is unknown (probably around 210,000) and the speed sensitive power steering comes and goes. And the car is due for a major PM, including coolant flush, brake line flush, etc etc etc. So it is time to let go.

So, at least for me, the program makes sense, it does get an old "guzzler" off the road, which is part of the underlying rationale for the program.

TurbinePower

Veteran Member
TDI
None
catmandoo said:
i think thats mainly what they are after.old suburbans,and pickups.
See, the old Suburbans and pickups are the ones that need saving. Actually offroad capable, simple to maintain, cheap to buy parts for... get rid of the crappy, POS 90's posermobiles, says I!

05_passat_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Vw Passat
k1xv said:
If you go to www.cars.gov and click on "the law", you will get a pdf of the actual legislation. As I read it, the 12 months are the 12 months immediately prior to turning it in. The insurance requirement must be "consistent with state law"
See section near the end of the document where "eligible trade-in vehicle" is defined
(A) is in drivable condition;
(B) has been continuously insured consistent with the
applicable State law and registered to the same owner for
a period of not less than 1 year immediately prior to such
trade-in;
of the trade-in; and
It doesn't say that it needs 18 combined mpg when new. I say muck up the engine a bit, maybe burn some bits of the sparkplug wires to get the mpg down sufficiently to qualify. Turn it into a clunker then claim it, find them loopholes and make it work.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
I went to the local Nissan dealership and they ordered my Versa today. I got a 1.6 sedan, manual transmission, blue onyx paint, with A/C and ABS.

It'll be here in about 48 hours, but the manager has agreed to let me put the purchase off until August 1st if necessary. There are zero rebates/incentives for the Versa 1.6 in June, but he was thinking that Nissan might have something for July to go with the Cash for Clunkers vouchers. If there is nothing in July, he's said we can wait until August 1st. Then if there are no incentives, I'll just jump in and buy the car without rebates.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
shouse94 said:
Interesting, cool that he's willing to work w/ you.
Well, they want to sell cars.

The car that I've ordered is the most basic model that Nissan sells, except it has A/C as an option. I can let it sit on the lot, and no one wants a 1.6 Versa with a manual transmission, crank windows, manual locks, and no radio. If I waited until the last minute, this car might sit on the lot until December if no one else is looking for the cheapest possible transportation.

Or, maybe with the vouchers, it'll sell quick. I don't know.

catmandoo

Veteran Member
TDI
MrMopar said:
Well, they want to sell cars.

The car that I've ordered is the most basic model that Nissan sells, except it has A/C as an option. I can let it sit on the lot, and no one wants a 1.6 Versa with a manual transmission, crank windows, manual locks, and no radio. If I waited until the last minute, this car might sit on the lot until December if no one else is looking for the cheapest possible transportation.

Or, maybe with the vouchers, it'll sell quick. I don't know.
right there is the reason the u.s. car makers are going down.i doubt you could buy a new chevy without power windows.and no way in hell would they delete the radio.i tried that 20 yrs ago when they came out with the olds quad442.buddy of mine was a salesman and tried like hell to get me to buy one.i told him i wanted a stripped down one.no p.s. p.b. a/c, p.w. radio delete,and no carpet.he said they could not do any of them.

cdynaco

TDI
thinking about Jetta SportWagen
k1xv said:

of the trade-in; and
Bummer! Mine is a 1984 Eagle that would qualify mileage wise, but the door tag says it was manufactured Jan 1984... so its past the 25yrs... Why didn't they just say model year 84 and forward?? Who cares what month an '84 was built??
Stupid politico's. There's one less new car that will be purchased. And one more old polluter that will still be driven in the winter months.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
05_passat_tdi said:
It doesn't say that it needs 18 combined mpg when new. I say muck up the engine a bit, maybe burn some bits of the sparkplug wires to get the mpg down sufficiently to qualify. Turn it into a clunker then claim it, find them loopholes and make it work.
LOL!! You are a piece of work!! Unfortunately, how the mpg is determined is set forth in the law as well. It is not the actual mpg of a car in a poor state of tune, as measured on some field road test. The law says it is the EPA figure as reported on fueleconomy.gov See subparagraph (B)

(5) the term `combined fuel economy value' means--
(A) with respect to a new fuel efficient automobile, the
number, expressed in miles per gallon, centered below
the words `Combined Fuel Economy' on the label required
to be affixed or caused to be affixed on a new automobile
pursuant to subpart D of part 600 of title 40, Code of
Federal Regulations;
(B) with respect to an eligible trade-in vehicle, the
equivalent of the number described in subparagraph (A),
and posted under the words `Estimated New EPA MPG'
and above the word `Combined' for vehicles of model
year 1984 through 2007, or posted under the words
`New EPA MPG' and above the word `Combined' for
vehicles of model year 2008 or later on the
fueleconomy.gov website of the Environmental Protection
Agency for the make, model, and year of such vehicle; or
(C) with respect to an eligible trade-in vehicle
manufactured between model years 1978 through 1985,
the equivalent of the number described in subparagraph
(A) as determined by the Secretary (and posted on the
website of the National Highway Traffic Safety
Administration) using data maintained by the
Environmental Protection Agency for the make, model,
and year of such vehicle.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
cdynaco said:
Bummer! Mine is a 1984 Eagle that would qualify mileage wise, but the door tag says it was manufactured Jan 1984... so its past the 25yrs... Why didn't they just say model year 84 and forward?? Who cares what month an '84 was built??
Stupid politico's. There's one less new car that will be purchased. And one more old polluter that will still be driven in the winter months.
The program appears to be set up so that the dealerships are merely checking YES/NO boxes on paperwork to attest that vehicles meet the requirements. It's literally on the honor system. I challenge you to find a dealership that is going to look at the build plate to determine what day/month it was built. They will all find it to be a 1984 model, and file the paperwork so they can sell you a car.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
cdynaco said:
Don't give up so fast!! The final rules as to how the program is to be administered, and how dealers are to determine if a trade in vehicle is "eligible", are not yet written. It is entirely possible the final rules will be based on model year, and not actual month and year of production. So hang in there!!

(f) Information to Consumers and Dealers- Not later than 30 days
after the date of the enactment of this Act, and promptly upon the
update of any relevant information, the Secretary, in consultation with
the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency, shall make
available on an Internet website and through other means determined
by the Secretary information about the Program, including--
(1) how to determine if a vehicle is an eligible trade-in vehicle;
(2) how to participate in the Program, including how to
determine participating dealers; and
(3) a comprehensive list, by make and model, of new fuel
efficient automobiles meeting the requirements of the Program.
Once such information is available, the Secretary shall conduct a public
awareness campaign to inform consumers about the Program and
where to obtain additional information.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
In most states, cars that are more than 25 yrs old are considered to be antiques and can be licensed separately.

joeonetime

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Cash for Clunkers / SportWagen with moonroof

Two items from a newbie:

1. I have a 2002 Ford Explorer with about 185k miles. I'm hoping to trade it in under the Cash for Clunkers program - and get my $4500 credit towards buying a new VW. Do you know if VW dealers are planning to participate in the program?

2. I have been searching a ton of dealer websites for inventory - and am having a hell of a time locating an automatic SportWagen with moonroof.

Any dealers reading this somewhere near the NYC area, who have the car I'm looking for - and will either be in the cash for clunkers program, or give me $4500 trade in on my explorer - I've got my checkbook out, and am ready to buy a car!!

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
I think I might get rid of my 98 maxi van. I only use it a couple of times a year. Not sure what I would replace it with though. Maybe that new ford fusion hybrid? I think that $$ incentive is only good towards a new car. It's not cash in the pocket.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
joeonetime said:
Two items from a newbie:

1. I have a 2002 Ford Explorer with about 185k miles. I'm hoping to trade it in under the Cash for Clunkers program - and get my $4500 credit towards buying a new VW. Do you know if VW dealers are planning to participate in the program?

2. I have been searching a ton of dealer websites for inventory - and am having a hell of a time locating an automatic SportWagen with moonroof.

Any dealers reading this somewhere near the NYC area, who have the car I'm looking for - and will either be in the cash for clunkers program, or give me $4500 trade in on my explorer - I've got my checkbook out, and am ready to buy a car!!
Hello Joe:

I have no idea of what a 2002 Explorer is worth, fair market value. However, I hope you understand that under the cash for clunkers program, your car must be scrapped. Therefore, the most you will get for it, in addition to the federal credit, is the scrappage value of the car.

It would surprise me if there were any VW dealers who did not intend to participate in the program. You may want to contact Chris Farnham, of VW of Langhorne, PA, who participates on tdiclub. His user name is 3913. Langhorne is just outside of Trenton NJ

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
How much would a one ton extended van get for scrap above the $4500?? Seems like a real waste even though I want to save oil and cut CO2:confused:
Some good points on this thread make me wonder if I should give up that van. It only has 90K miles on it and everything works well. Paint is oxidized but I buff it up to a nice shine once a year. I hate red paint. I only use it to move stuff and people like my college kids are moving next month and I will haul their stuff to the new apartment. I suppose I could rent a box van or a pickup a couple time a year and come out ahead of the insurance I pay for my van.

joeonetime

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Cash 4 Clunkers update

I stopped in at Sunrise VW in Long Island, NY today. They happened to have a TDI SportWagen in stock (DSG + PanoRoof) - but didn't know much about the C4C plan.

I put down a $500 refundable deposit to hold my spot on the car, and the dealer promised to contact me once they are set up to accept and process cars under C4C.

I'm not in a huge hurry to get the car, am just happy enough that I found the one I want - and a dealer who will work with me on the C4C thing.

Between the $4500 credit, and the $1300 tax credit - the price I'll be getting below MSRP is actually pretty good.

August

TDI
'09 Jetta Sedan
I got my TDI

Yesterday I drove my '92 Pathfinder, that has served us very well, about 70 miles north of San Diego and swapped it for a Silver '09 Jetta TDI.

This was the first Cash for Clunkers deal done at this VW dealership.

My advice to anyone else going in on this deal is to bring as much proof of insurance for the past 366 days as your clunker can carry. I brought the card I carry in my wallet (6 Months) and a few bills from prior cycles but the dealer needed better documentation and my insurer said it would take three days to mail or 24 hours to fax the documents.

I ended up getting adequate information by logging in to my account and printing proof of insurance docs there.

Anyway, the 70+ mile drive back to SD was great. My only question...How loud does that stereo go?

As for Cash for Clunkers: Thank you Mr. President.

Status
Not open for further replies.