(Cars you forgot) Yes, You Can Still Buy These Cars New

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
I used to have a Matrix, the JSW replaced it. Other than being a bit noisy and having a quaint 4 speed automatic, it was a very practical vehicle for $17,000.00 in 2005. If they would put in a 1.6 liter diesel and a 6 speed manual (and undercut the JSW prices) they would sell like hot cakes. In 114,000 miles, I: changed the plugs, put one set of ceramic brake pads on, replaced one headlight bulb, changed the fluids on schedule, went through the original and 1 replacement set of tires, replaced the battery. My niece is now driving it.
There is a reason the other cars aren't advertised, their companies are embarassed about them.

vwa1

Veteran Member
TDI
1982 Rabbit Turbo Diesel. I think it counts! Please don't banish me to the Vortex!
The Mitsubishi bit made me laugh.

Antsrcool

Vendor
TDI
2010 Cup Edition
sadly mitsubishis arent terrible cars. There parts are gold plated and mostly dealer order only, which sucks. But to drive them is actually quite nice and are pretty damn reliable.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
I think the last 5 years of the Galant they just gave up competing in the mid-sized sedan segment. First they scaled back the V-6 engine option, and never upgraded the 4-cylinder engine past about 160 horsepower. Stuck to a 4-speed auto transmission was pretty old technology, and boring to drive.

When the local Mitsubishi dealership was offering 120% of KBB trade-in value on used cars and some serious rebates, I went in to see about a Galant. I can deal with boring for a mid-size sedan. The sticking point for me was that they long-ago got rid of manual transmissions (which really aren't popular in 4-door sedans) so I never ended up buying. Plus, I didn't want to be stuck with an orphan if MMNA decided to end sales in America.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
I used to have a Matrix, the JSW replaced it. Other than being a bit noisy and having a quaint 4 speed automatic, it was a very practical vehicle for $17,000.00 in 2005. If they would put in a 1.6 liter diesel and a 6 speed manual (and undercut the JSW prices) they would sell like hot cakes. In 114,000 miles, I: changed the plugs, put one set of ceramic brake pads on, replaced one headlight bulb, changed the fluids on schedule, went through the original and 1 replacement set of tires, replaced the battery. My niece is now driving it.
There is a reason the other cars aren't advertised, their companies are embarassed about them.
I sold a 2001 Matrix to buy my JSW. Car was not comfortable to drive for a long time (at least for me) but did have alot of storage. All the power was in the upper RPM range so had little pick-up.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
I sold a 2001 Matrix to buy my JSW. Car was not comfortable to drive for a long time (at least for me) but did have alot of storage. All the power was in the upper RPM range so had little pick-up.
Yep they are econo commuter cars that can carry 3 bales of insulation or an 8 foot 2x4 inside. No luxury and a good bit of road noise. They were $17,000.00 though with cast iron reliability and reasonable mpg for the year. It suited the job at the time.