Carplay options

frey

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
Just want CP active off my radio; local dealer seems unable. Who has the expertise to do this, Midwest area?

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Just want CP active off my radio; local dealer seems unable. Who has the expertise to do this, Midwest area?
Which radio, model, maker?

I think most people agree dealer is your best shot for CP removal off Panasonic MIB1 Std. If you have a Harman or Delphi unit, then it is doable even remotely with the right tools

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Gents, thanks for your research and assistance. I've been slowly working my way through the massive thread at MK7, along with almost all the others at the vortex and the RT forums, so I know how much info is out there- and how hard it is to sort through.

As for inventing the wheel- for those of you who are more familiar with the MIB retrofits, it probably appears that way, buy I'm just trying to confirm/deny methods as I learn the process.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Understood... the threads are so long that it's easy to get lost as to what works and what doesn't. A lot of the posts are people learning/trying different things. The first 2 posts in the "DIY MIB 1 to MIB 2" thread on GolfMk7 have the info you want. The OP of that thread, GeorgeAB, does a great job of updating those first posts with the best currently known confirmed information.

He even added contacts to the first post, including a member over there (simaservis1108) that joined and proved a good source for activation a couple years after the thread was started. For what it's worth, simaservis1108 did the activation on my MIB 2.5. That included loading software as my MIB 2.5 was purchased as a plug and play unit from APG Poland. I was not a fan of seeing the CP faults (even though the everything worked fine) and I thought their support was less than stellar, although I have only heard otherwise from others so may have just been bad luck for me.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
... simaservis1108 did the activation on my MIB 2.5. That included loading software as my MIB 2.5 was purchased as a plug and play unit from APG Poland....
YMMV. I also contacted simaervis1108, I wanted to see if it was it was reasonable to rework my MIB2 and remove CP the right way (no faults). But he refused, not even quoting a price or nothing. Perhaps it had to do with my particular unit (Delphi), and the workstreams already established to "jailbreak".

He told me: I don't work in units someone else touched

Last edited:

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Yeah, I saw simaervis as a possible alternative to Jack, who also seemed to garner complaints after the first year or so. Does anyone know if the VAS5054 is useful for anything else that non-techies might do? I use VCDS for minor tweaks, but that's about it. I'm hoping to to learn BCM data, so I can upgrade (her) GSW S low BCM to high, but that's not going to happen soon.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
My unit is a Harman, and he wasn't sure it was going to work so I offered to pay him whether it worked or not. He did mention the risk of bricking my unit, which would have been... terrible honestly. If you want to use ODIS offline (for guided functions) then the VAS5054 is useful. Not sure it's useful for anything else though. I haven't used ODIS but my understanding is that VCDS is much easier, almost as powerful, and equally as useful for most of us.

I replaced my low BCM with a high. Long coding is easy enough but there are 1,000+ adaptations that you would need to manually re-enter. There's also CP to deal with and pairing of key-fobs. My dealer quoted me 4 hours. They also screwed it up (didn't pair my key fobs, didn't do adaptations, etc.). It took me multiple visits to get everything sorted, involving a call to VW engineering and a call to a local Audi dealership. At one point they told me I needed to re-install my stock headlights and tails so they could troubleshoot the faults they were seeing. In actuality, they were seeing faults because the BCM came with adaptations set for a car with lighting package.

In the end, all they actually needed to do was follow the ODIS guided function for a BCM replacement, from beginning to end. I don't know if they chose not to follow the function or didn't know how to follow it, but either way it was a s*** show. I only paid their quoted labor although they probably put 20 hours into it. VW only stock's high BCM's so their process for replacing mine should have been no different than if a customer came in with a bad BCM.

Mike5250

TDI
15 golf tdi sel
Is "Peter in Chicago" a member here?
I just ordered from him this week. Ill try to post a review. I found eurozone after ordering. Seems like he offers a better product for the money. Looking forward to mib2 and 8” glass screen in my golf sel.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
It really is a massive upgrade over the puny 5.8" pixelated mess that came in our cars, even totally optioned.

Beware, though: once you do the MIB2 upgrade, with the Virtual Cockpit / Active Info Display retrofit now a possibility (see my signature), it becomes reeeeeeeeeeealllly tempting. :D

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, because then you meet a guy like @Cuzoe, and the next thing you know, you suddenly have have parking sensors and blind spot monitor mirrors and sensors sitting at your house, and you're expending a lot of energy dissuading yourself from upgrading to MIB2.5 as well. :D

frey

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
Which radio, model, maker?

I think most people agree dealer is your best shot for CP removal off Panasonic MIB1 Std. If you have a Harman or Delphi unit, then it is doable even remotely with the right tools
I am new to all this. Radio is original I think, and GSW with S-trim so base model. Maybe I need to ditch the radio and find a new unit programmed to work in spite of CP.

aditud

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
I got the Fender amplifier from a junkyard, the headunit off eBay and the matte (old euro style, with knobs and buttons) 8" screen from eurozone. Had Jack from Poland remove CP's and it's been over two years now and everything works perfectly.

You can get a lot of info from here: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...o-mib2-infotainment-conversion-part-1.343701/

BTW, I have a 6.5" MIB2 euro screen (with "Radio" instead of "Band", and a "setup" button) for sale (I got it off eBay but then upgraded soon after to the 8"). It's in perfect condition and I'd sell it for $120+shipping, or $160+shipping if I include the brushed aluminum trim and vents.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
I am new to all this. Radio is original I think, and GSW with S-trim so base model. Maybe I need to ditch the radio and find a new unit programmed to work in spite of CP.
So, what happen to your original unit? Something had to change so that now the unit shows CP active.

The original MIB1 in the S trim is a Panasonic without Navigation. I asked around and nobody but the dealer will remove CP from them.

You can't keep the original screen that came with the MIB1 because of a mismatched resolution with MIB2 and MIB2.5

frey

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
I took the car to the dealer to get the CP removed. Manager said they could not get it done. Wanted to do "exploratory surgery," removing the dash to inspect the wiring. Found what looked like a rodent nest above the glove box after removing the disc player. Not sure why bad wiring would cause a CP Active but the radio works - emergency communication over-rides the radio mute. If it was just the radio being non-original, I'm assuming the dealer would have said so. It has to be possible to remove the CP without pulling the dash. There is no guarantee repairing the wiring will fix the radio/CP problem. No estimate for the repairs necessary.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
What you call the "disk player" is actually the "brains" of the MIB system. If you have VCDS, VCP or any VAS clone, you can get in the system and look at address 5F (MMI), the VIN of your car should be in the identifiers, otherwise the unit was replaced.

If the unit was replaced, the only people that can help you with that MIB1 Panasonic is a dealer with non-morons, which is easier said than done (to find one).

If you get sufficiently annoyed, then you will get reading at that endless thread at the mk7 club to upgrade to MIB2....or get talking with @Cuzoe or @Nuje or myself, we have all performed the upgrade in slightly different ways.

frey

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
I read some of that thread...amazed at what you guys are capable of. And yes, sufficiently annoyed sums it up. Are there any dealer. non-morons in the Midwest? I have emailed many and generally get no reply, including the so called #2 dealer in the world in Vancouver. I don't think anyone at VW understands the CP system beyond the simple procedures in the service manual. Not sure how I'm going to get that radio working. I will take the car to the mechanic that put a new (used) engine in our 2006 Quattro. He can't get rid of the CP, but at least I'll find out if the MIB1 is original or not.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Probably the best in the Midwest is @oilhammer , but I'm not sure if he deals with radios/peripherals. You in Iowa are close enough to make the trip to his shop, way too far for me.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
... including the so called #2 dealer in the world in Vancouver
I live near Vancouver, and I *need* to know who the supposed "#2 dealer in the world" is. I've dealt with a few in Vancouver and they've all been "meh" or worse.

Meanwhile, my little dealer here on Vancouver Island....always laugh and say "what idiotic thing do you have planned now?" - and always willing to play along and figure stuff out with me.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Are there any dealer. non-morons in the Midwest?
I'm not fully-versed on US geography, but Iowa is in the vicinity of Chicago if memory serves me right; so how about the aforementioned "Peter in Chicago"?

frey

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
Would be on my way to Chicago if I had contact info for "Peter." Dick Hannah VW in Vancouver is supposed to be #2. My contact info was "forwarded to our service group." That was Monday. World class service. I will contact @oilhammer. Thanks for the support! This is my 4th tdi. Had no idea there was all this complexity lurking.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Had no idea there was all this complexity lurking.
The complexity only arises when we try to make them something that they were not as they left the factory. But where would the fun be if we didn't do that? :D

frey

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
Had a patient come in who works on Hondas. Same sort of anti-theft system that will lock up a component. Mice chomping on wires is a common problem showing up in his shop. He's put in a lot of hours fixing wiring that's interrupted communication between components and triggered CP. So time to have a look behind the dash...I'll post what I find here.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I just ordered from him this week. Ill try to post a review. I found eurozone after ordering. Seems like he offers a better product for the money. Looking forward to mib2 and 8” glass screen in my golf sel.
Peter sells US model radios. The Eurozone radios are the same radios that you can buy on eBay for $1k or less with everything activated.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
From what I remember, the only additional thing I bought was the replacement for the MDI connector in the little cubby under the HVAC controls. The replacement gives you a USB input (and headphone jack) to plug in your phone for CarPlay / Android Auto.
Like $40 from Aliexpress, IIRC.
(Edit: Ouch - prices have gone up.)

Part number is 5G0035222E - should come with wiring connector/harness to plug into the MIB2 system.

And to be clear, this had nothing to do with the Fender Premium audio; everyone would have to buy this cubby USB connector. Nothing special needed for Fender, apart from APG knowing that I had that option so that they could set up my hardware appropriately.

Last edited:

frey

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
Just got off the phone with the VW dealer in Iowa City. Radio and module in glovebox not original to the car. Interior lights not working because there were no bulbs in the sockets! I assumed there was a wiring problem. VW assumed there was a wiring problem. Mouse nest cleaned out of dash area. Wiring all good. BCM good. Problem is $s for diagnostic work. Spent all morning on diagnostics. They want 1K for new radio and module, programmed and installed. At $750 right now for DX! How long to figure out the radio was not original? How long to figure out there were no bulbs? Total bill will be $1750! I am going to have them get everything working then talk to them about gross inefficiency in DXing the problems. And I hate myself for not checking the bulb sockets for bulbs