Carolina Beach

Status
Not open for further replies.

valois

Banned
I would like to purpose a TDI gathering in Carolina Beach, NC. Less than a tank of fuel away from Ric and Skypup on our southern flank, and from our New York crowd in the north. I would like to Fly Fred in, I'll pickup the rountrip airfare. Others can chip in for his booze, women, drugs, etc.
Anybody interested? How about April 21st, 22nd?

[This message has been edited by valois (edited March 16, 2000).]

valois

Banned
I have asked the manager of the local VW dealership to visit and consider sponsoring the event. Mr. Richard Trask of Bob King VW. We need to guage how much interest we can generate in the meet. How about it? This would be a long weekend for Good Friday, Easter Sunday. I want to meet Fred, Skypup, Zman, Ric, All the TS's.

riddei

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1997, Storm Grey
I'm not sure how many people have family "things" planned for Easter and Passover. I would love to come down for a get to gether in N. Carolina though.

------------------
-Ian

riddei@olympus.com
97' Passat TDI, Storm Grey, K&N in the airbox (de-screened), Wetterauer chipped, 16" Borbet Type E's, with 205 45R 16 Yokohama A520's

TDI Steve

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
Count me in!
This would coincide with my roadtrip!

It might be best to wait till after the holidays though. I think I can make it either way, but my family is going to prefer that I be home for the holiday.

valois

Banned
Hey TS great, Fred can't make it because of some silly wedding.
I am working on him for Labor day September 4th. I am also working on sponsorship by the local Dealer, (one of the good ones) I need some commitment, lets flood wilmington with diesel fumes! This could be similar to Harley week in Myrtal Beach. The cops and people are not as jerky in Wilmington.

Ric Woodruff

BANNED, Ric went to Coventry.
Sure, I love driving my TDI, and I'd love to meet fellow TDI enthusiasts, but N.C. would be pretty much a full day's drive for me, and is simply too far. Sorry.

------------------
Ric Woodruff

Braumeister von Sehr Gutem Bier
Since the Last Millennium

1998 Jetta TDI

TDI Steve

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
I don't know if anyone else is off for spring break, but if anyone wants to drive to N.C. and meet up and then drive down to Florida with me over the next days.....

Ric you should come up! I'm sure we could get a group discount on cheap motel rooms!

valois

Banned
Ric,
I could send you some hemmoroid medicine, they make it out of sharks liver. So that you could endure the trip,
Man, you have driven all the way to Quebec before. I have an idea, drive twice as fast and it will only take half a day.

valois

Banned
Bring the family. We could plan the activities to Start Friday afternoon and finish Saturday afternoon.

valois

Banned
Fred and Ric, this should draw a crowd, I am working on Fred, he is too demure about his notoriety. You fellows need to show some support! Fred has been running this site without compensation for 3 years, it's time to show some appreciation.

donniemac

Veteran Member
TDI
None at the moment
I'd be coming from western NC, and would be up for sometime this spring, but I think SWMBO has us booked for Ablabama for Easter.
Keep us posted.

------------------
--Don
"The sweet sound of 50
MPG!"

ThinkDiesel

Veteran Member
NC isn't too far for most of the crew who turned out for the Frederick, MD TDI GTG.

Excellent Idea, Valois!

Give me a time and place and I'll be there...Perhaps TDI Believer and I can meet up with the crew in our area and lead a TDI exodus down to NC.

It would be worth the admission price alone just to see Ric and Skypup finally meet in person! LOL
Good call on flying Fred down--- It would be great for all of us to be able to meet our fearless leader, VW Derf!

------------------
Ryan

1999 A4 Jetta GL TDI- 5 sp
Atlantic Blue/Gray Studio

carolinagolf

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2000 White
Count me in. Wilmington is 30-40 minutes from me. Weather should be great. Definitely interested in seeing some of the modifications others have made.

------------------
'00 Jetta GL TDI 5spd
'68 Beetle convertable
'62 Beetle convertable

valois

Banned
I am afraid this will have to be posted in the Performance section to catch skypups attention.
Start throwing some dates out. Labor day weekend? Or earlier?

John Rumble

Veteran Member
My Dad has a house on the intercoastal just above Writesville and the renter is supposed
to be out by the end of August. There is no furniture but there is a Fridge for beer and
stove ect. 10 to 15 people could camp out there and save the hotel money for more beer
drugs and women. I will be going down to do maintenance anyway. We could ,swim, fish
and boat and have drag races in the driveway (about 100 yards long). Sitting on the deck you are looking across the water at Figuer Eight Island. Is that the dealer with the bug way up on a pole?

[This message has been edited by John Rumble (edited March 21, 2000).]

valois

Banned
John,
Yeah! The old bug mounted on top of the pole was put there by Parkway I believe. The dealership has changed hands and is now owned by Bob King. I can tell you are familiar with the area. I am not sure whether the bug is still there it has been about a year and a half since I've been to Wilmington. The area John is refering to is extra nice location!

TDI Steve

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
This trip's going to be fun explaining to my mom... "yes you heard me right mom, I want to drive 12 hours to meet a bunch of people I met online for the purpose of showing off our cars and we are going to drag race and camp out at one of their houses in some place I've never heard of."

valois

Banned
Steve, I can send her a release form to sign, but since you are of a majority none of us can get into trouble for aiding and abeting the delinquincy of a minor

clutch cargo

my wife signed my release form..(i only have cayons)..i think i can go..went to one one in maryland..lots of fun..i love road trips and north carolina style bar be q ..yumm..hey the house sounds great...clutch

valois

Banned
I'll supply the propane!
And Fred, hopefully. JohnRumble the offer of the house is very nice. Zman is bringing the women, I assume Ric will bring enough beer.
TDI STEVE that leaves you to "score" the drugs, hehehe.

valois

Banned
I have been in touch with Fred, and it looks like he can make it Labor Day but he has to clear it with the boss. Since she's invited, she will probably grant permission,
this means no extra broads ZMan!: There is a drag strip nearby about 20 miles down a 4 lane little used highway which is straight as an arrow and smooth pavement! Give any of you some ideas? Top end trials as well as timed acceleration. I need to give a call to the track to see if it will be available, so what I need here is RSVP. If I know how many to prepare for and it turns out to be a large enough crowd I am sure it could be a well organized event with plenty of activities. Labor day weekend is kind of a quiet last of summer hurrah for Wilmington, if we sign up early enough we should be able to reserve at a better price.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Ok everyone, it looks like I will be making it to this event on the Labourday long weekend. Thanks valois for giving me the opportunity!
I think valois is looking for some numbers so if you think you can make it (give it your best shot), this will help the planning. Two thumbs up for valois effort in this one...

Fred

TDI Believer

Responsible For Global Warming
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
I will be there. Sounds like fun!

(Wife wants to go too!)

[This message has been edited by TDI Believer (edited April 11, 2000).]

Ric Woodruff

BANNED, Ric went to Coventry.
I guess I can make it. According to mapquest.com, it is only 582 miles.

One question: Why Labor Day weekend? Won't traffic be bad for most people???

BTW: Labor Day weekend is a big weekend for hurricanes too, especially on the Carolina coast!!!

Ric

[This message has been edited by Ric Woodruff (edited April 07, 2000).]

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I really would like to know a little more
What? Where? When? How? and Who? before I can committ the plans are really vague at this time!
But it does really sound fun and has great potential to put a lot of Turbo-Diesel power in one location!

valois

Banned
I'll be heading over there next week, and begin making arrangements, I'll look into reserving the Drag Strip and check into hotel availibility and prices. I am going to look into magazine coverage, and dealer sponsorship. I need some numbers, so far we have about 10 members expressing interest, I believe 30 or 40 would command more respect with the various contacts, Where is Z, Skypup, TurboSteve? I envision this as a way to show our appreciation to Fred and this great site, the more members who come,(and indicate early)the better organized the event will be. For those on a budget, John Rumble has graciously offered a house on the inlet, there is a park not far from the strip with barbecue pits, for a picnic. This doesn't have to be an extremely expensive outing, Carolina Beach has an amusement park for the kids. I need numbers and time to organize a really nice event. Start posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.