Cargo boxes...

Boostlee

TDI
05 Jetta wagon
Can we talk Cargo boxes for the roof racks, what all is recommended? I currently have a wagon with oem roof racks thx

stefhelm

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
I have a several year old Thule Atlantis.

I went for a taller and skinnier one. With that, I can put a bike on either side of it on my B5.5 Passat wagon with OEM bars. Unfortunately, my Alltrack OEM rails are just a little short for that. In general, I don't think once can really recommend a size or shape. That is really all up to your needs. If you are in a Jetta Wagon, I don't think you'd ever have clearance issues. In my mind, the ultra slim ones are not all that useful, unless you are in a tall SUV and really need to get in to parkades or something.

Attachment method is important to me. I like quick and easy. I take it off when I'm done, and need to be able to move it between cars. Thule, Yakima, and a couple other big names keep it nice and simple and fairly adaptable to different roof bar styles and shapes. I know there are some cheap ones out there that still use some terrible fasteners. Something to be mindful of, I suppose. I also like that mine opens from both sides. I think I'd recommend that feature.

I'm also just a Thule fan in general as my last Thule box started having some issues with the clear coat after many years, and they didn't bat an eye. Just claimed it as a factory defect and replaced it with the latest model. I don't know if I just got lucky, but I found their warranty service to be great.

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
Get one with claws like thule have not an excargo where you need hand tools those are a pain. Have hadx2 thule boxes the mecanism works fine but frequent use and the sliders fall out of the track when not attached to the car

Boostlee

TDI
05 Jetta wagon
I have a several year old Thule Atlantis.

I went for a taller and skinnier one. With that, I can put a bike on either side of it on my B5.5 Passat wagon with OEM bars. Unfortunately, my Alltrack OEM rails are just a little short for that. In general, I don't think once can really recommend a size or shape. That is really all up to your needs. If you are in a Jetta Wagon, I don't think you'd ever have clearance issues. In my mind, the ultra slim ones are not all that useful, unless you are in a tall SUV and really need to get in to parkades or something.

Attachment method is important to me. I like quick and easy. I take it off when I'm done, and need to be able to move it between cars. Thule, Yakima, and a couple other big names keep it nice and simple and fairly adaptable to different roof bar styles and shapes. I know there are some cheap ones out there that still use some terrible fasteners. Something to be mindful of, I suppose. I also like that mine opens from both sides. I think I'd recommend that feature.

I'm also just a Thule fan in general as my last Thule box started having some issues with the clear coat after many years, and they didn't bat an eye. Just claimed it as a factory defect and replaced it with the latest model. I don't know if I just got lucky, but I found their warranty service to be great.

any pics of your setup?

stefhelm

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
Might have better if I dig, but here is something. I've got helper bags in rear to make sure it stays level.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I have a Yakima Skybox 16, which is a bit wider than other options, but still allows me to get a bike up on the roof along with the box.
The thing I like about the Skybox is the attachment to the cross bars is a quick cam-buckle kind of thing - "pop / slide the buckle" x 4 and you're good to lift the box off the car. Other big upside is that it opens from either side and stays open on its own.