Carbon Dioxide Levels hit 400ppm

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The worldwide experiment with the climate continues.

Awesome quote in the comments to the article:

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

Isaac Asimov

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
I didn't not know that 40x40. I'm deleting the link. My apologies.

Not quite sure the link qualifies as a banned topic but the discussion about it definitely would.

Ted Hurst

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
If we only discus CO2 emissions one could point out that a diesel vehicle produces less than a comparable gasoline model.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Ah, that "banned"list is only for the Alternative Diesel Fuels forum. If it is to apply to any other forum then it should be a stickie at the beginning of each forum; which, IMO, is not a bad idea.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Ah, that "banned"list is only for the Alternative Diesel Fuels forum. If it is to apply to any other forum then it should be a stickie at the beginning of each forum; which, IMO, is not a bad idea.

Ah, you might want to ask one of the mods for clarification as I was under the impression that banned subjects were banned forum-wide..... and yes, it should be posted where it can be seen more easily, IMO.

Bill

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
According to the Forum Rules. http://www.tdiclub.com/Disclaimer/ForumRules.html there doesn't seem to be a board-wide subject ban

So, I looked at the thread link:

TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Alternative Diesel Fuels (Biodiesel, WVO, SVO, BTL, GTL etc) BANNED SUBJECT LIST: DSE, biofuelBasics, H2, acetone, non-taxed fuel, etc

Then I also looked at the other forums, and found only one that also has a "banned subject" list, the TDI Fuel Economy forum. In fact it is just a link to the above from the ADF forum.

Based on that, it doesn't seem to apply to this particular forum. But, since the OP deleted whatever upset you, I can't see if there was any problem with his post.

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Life on the planet would not exist without CO2. Every living plant needs it to grow. More CO2 = bigger, healthier plants. Global warming is a Hoax, forced upon us so Government will have a reason to limit our use and tax the use of fossil fuels.

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I was finally able to see the article. It was a news article from the Washington Post. Now the non-applicable to this forum "banned subject" list that was referenced does NOT ban news articles nor the Washington Post. Therefore I saw nothing about which for anyone to get their knickers in a twist. I believe it was a mis-reading of the non-applicable list and the Washington Post. No harm, no foul.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I do not believe that the blanket statement of 'global warming is a hoax' will hold up. However, I do believe that since the planet has been in a warming trend ever since the middle of the last ice age (why do you think the last ice age ended, anyway?), that to blame the current warming trend on human activity is ludicrous. In addition, to think that puny man can do anything about macro-cycle climatic changes such as this is a gross misunderstanding of the planet on which we live.

We just as well should blame summer weather on mosquito populations.

SMR

TDI
Currently: None :(, Previously: '04 Golf GLS, '12 Jetta 6M; Non-TDI Diesel: 116d EffDynEd
I do believe...
Belief has no place here. I suppose I shouldn't be, but am still constantly surprised by how people with no actual background in a topic will dismiss it outright without evidence. You do realise that there are very smart people who've spent huge quantities of their lives studying this, no? Might they have a slightly more informed opinion? Might it make sense to have some understanding of their hypotheses, experiments, methodologies, etc. before flippantly declaring them invalid?

People here are happy to deal with facts and, in absence of knowledge or experience, defer to gurus when it comes to their cars. Why not with climate science? Maybe humans are dangerously changing the climate, or maybe not. But wouldn't you say it's better for us to strive to find out -- to understand -- rather than believe what is convenient or preferable?

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
SMR, while I do believe in global warming, you do realize that only a small amount of scientists believe it to be legit concern. So while you say smart people have proven one thing, there are more smart people that think the opposite. I happen to think its somewhere in between but who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.