CARB chief optimistic about 2.0 fix, but NOT about 3.0 (7/29/16 Fortune article)

bird67

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI*
CARB chief Mary Nichols gave a sunny and optimistic interview with Fortune Magazine about VW's strides towards a 2.0 fix. If achieved, an acceptable 2.0 fix would mean fewer 2.0 buybacks and money saved for VW.

“They brought in a whole new team of people to work on various aspects of this,” Nichols said in an interview. “There’s just a greater sense that we’re dealing with people who have access to the decision makers in Germany, and who understand their credibility is on the line.”

"Nichols’ positive words about VW are significant because the state of California is working with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to evaluate the automaker’s proposed fixes."

But Nichols' views about the 3.0 were decidedly less sunny:

"Nichols added that there been no progress on developing a repair for about 85,000 Volkswagen, Audi, and Porsche cars sold with 3.0-liter diesel engines that also have pollution control systems programmed to defeat emissions tests."

The VW roller coaster continues...
http://fortune.com/2016/07/29/volkswagen-california-diesel-cars/

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I wouldn't interpret this in the way your thread title suggests. I believe VW (and EPA and CARB) have focused their attention on the 2.0 situation and simply let the 3.0 be on the back burner because there aren't as many of them out there and because the "level of technology" in the 3.0 is the same as on the later EA288 "gen 3" 2.0, so whatever works on the EA288 ought to be pretty close to what will work on the 3.0.

Priorities ... that's all. Just because they haven't started looking at the 3.0 YET doesn't mean they won't and doesn't mean they can't.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
I wouldn't interpret this in the way your thread title suggests. I believe VW (and EPA and CARB) have focused their attention on the 2.0 situation and simply let the 3.0 be on the back burner because there aren't as many of them out there and because the "level of technology" in the 3.0 is the same as on the later EA288 "gen 3" 2.0, so whatever works on the EA288 ought to be pretty close to what will work on the 3.0.

Priorities ... that's all. Just because they haven't started looking at the 3.0 YET doesn't mean they won't and doesn't mean they can't.
CARB is not willing to give up any of their negotiating leverage. Time will reveal the outcome.

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
What would be the risks involved in purchasing a used Audi 3.0 TDI? I drove an A6 TDI today and am tempted.

RollingCoal

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Tdi SEL
What would be the risks involved in purchasing a used Audi 3.0 TDI? I drove an A6 TDI today and am tempted.
I would imagine if you're buying it to keep it and drive it not much risk. Probably will even get some restitution if they come up with a fix.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL

That, and no court has a clock running on the 3.0 at this time, so the priority and focus would seem obvious . . .

nwtim

TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
IMO, there's absolutely going to be a fix for the 3.0 TDI. If you buy it you will have a great car with a relatively rare power train (diesel w/ 8-spd auto) that will be enjoyed by you and envied by others for a long time.

bird67

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI*
IMO, there's absolutely going to be a fix for the 3.0 TDI. If you buy it you will have a great car with a relatively rare power train (diesel w/ 8-spd auto) that will be enjoyed by you and envied by others for a long time.
I don't share your optimism but I very much hope you are right.

bird67

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI*
CARB is not willing to give up any of their negotiating leverage. Time will reveal the outcome.
Hard to argue with "time will tell," but I fail to see how denigrating VW progress on 3.0 while simultaneously lauding 2.0 progress advances CARB's leverage. Isn't a more logical read that she is merely being truthful?

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Hard to argue with "time will tell," but I fail to see how denigrating VW progress on 3.0 while simultaneously lauding 2.0 progress advances CARB's leverage. Isn't a more logical read that she is merely being truthful?

Uh- no. She doesn't know, nor understands, the settlement and their requirements, nor of what it will take to get the 3.0L in compliance. Typical trait of politicians.

bird67

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI*
Uh- no. She doesn't know, nor understands, the settlement and their requirements, nor of what it will take to get the 3.0L in compliance. Typical trait of politicians.
Yes, no doubt your knowledge and understanding of the settlement and its requirements are superior to hers. :rolleyes:

I would think a "typical trait of a politician" would include managing the message. If, as was suggested, she wanted to maintain leverage over VW, she would not have lauded their 2.0 effort and progress.