Caravan Leaving From Baltimore Friday 8:30AM

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
The real bonus is that the Hutch/Merritt (aka Rt15 in CT) is restricted to non-commercial vehicles and is really quite scenic (actually it was the first 4 lane divided highway in the US -- a forebearer of our Interstate system.....check out the artsy overpass designs
). It's also the most direct route and you get to skip all but a couple miles of I-95 and most of I-91.

JJ, you know and I know the Pkwy (Merritt) is an unmitigated disaster on Fridays after noon....think about how it's gonna be on Labor Day wknd.

My preferred route, when coming from that neck of the woods, is to take the Chimpanzee Bridge (FastLane/EZPass)and make your way north up the Sprain Brook to I684 north to I84 to I90 to I 95 to I93 and straight in to the hotel pkg lot.
Lito knows the way.

I'd avoid the Merritt Pkwy at all costs at that time...

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Well, that's the way I wanted to go. Never mind that my parents live in Hartford and I've just about tried all the routes mentioned.

I guess we'll let the majority decide.

The route I use:

I-95
NJ Turnpike
GWB lower level
I-87 N
I-287 E
I-684 N
I-84 E

L

JettaJake

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 GLS 5spd
Tim, I do recall a thread where GeWilli was discussing his travel plans, but probably the simplest way is to just PM some folks and see whether your schedules coincide at all.

Also, the Central Canada/US Forum might be the good place to start a feeler thread similar to SVTWEB's....

hmmm, keeping a caravan together on Merritt Parkway on Labor Day weekend.....yeah, I guess that could get scary, then again 1-2 pm on Friday might not be all that bad. Hell, it's always a crapshoot nowadays.

How 'bout this: Lito, I'll get hold of you (via cell?) around noon-ish that day to get an update on caravan progress. I'll be at work and could even make a last minute post with the latest ETA's. People can then catch y'all as catch can.

I'm already envisioning sitting on the side of the road waiting for a string of TDI's to glide by....honk, honk, beep beep, wave/grin, VRRRROOOOM!!!

9 days and counting!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There has been a whole bunch of construction, for several years, at the eastern end of the TZ bridge and back on to I287....is that mess still there?

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Believe it or not it's close to being finished. The fly ramp to I-87 south is open now and the section of I-287 is just about complete. This is as of JettaJake's GTG this past spring.

L

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
wow, it's about time.

You should still take a quik look at the map. The route I suggested probably saves 15 miles since you aren't going past White Plains to access I684.

The
takes you north (access point is about 2 miles beyond the TZ bridge) and plunks you down half way up Laser Alley*. The only downside is it's tricky to do if you had numerous cars in the group.

*I684

jettafock

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI auto, platinum gray, ESP
So Lito, have you decided on what route we will be taking? Once its been decided, is it possible to post printable directions so we can all take them with us? Just incase anyone gets seperated. Also, I'm sure we will be taking off at 8:30 sharp, so it would prolly be best to get there at least 8:15.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hi,

Stealth - Just an FYI that you might want to leave a touch earlier to get through DC traffic before 6:30. It can be a real pain driving up 95 from Fredericksburg to the beltway.
Coming from the South, I recommend using 301 -> 3 -> 97 to bypass DC at that time of day.
Uhh, that's precisely the route I mentioned in my last post.
The last time I drove up there, I opted to stay off Hwy 3 due to the thick traffic/intersections I was beginning to encouter. Instead, I took US-50 over to I-97. I stayed in a hotel near the airport, then hopped onto I-695E to go to the Coast Guard Yard near Dundalk. I was surprised by the total lack of traffic at 8am.

So my question is whether I should take I-97 straight into Baltimore and connect with I-95 or should I take I-695 AROUND Baltimore... Does anyone know what the traffic is like on those roads between 7:30-8:00am? Suggestions?

Also, can we pick an FRS and CB channel now? That way we can call in as we arrive and find each other. I have 7-sub-7 programmed into my ham radio. But I can dig up any frequency and code, given a little notice. I suspect I'll be the last to arrive. So the radios could help me find you faster (or announce my progress if I have to catch you afterwards).

Take Care,

Scott

SSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
none :-(
Scott, 695 goes to far out of the way. I always find the best way through Baltimore is 95 to the 895 harbor tunnel. (rte 97 might even connect to 895?) less cars because everyone just stays on 95. 895 at that time is usually empty... Fort McHenry seems to get backed up very easily.

Matt

NewJettaGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat Sedan
Scott, 695 goes to far out of the way. I always find the best way through Baltimore is 95 to the 895 harbor tunnel. (rte 97 might even connect to 895?) less cars because everyone just stays on 95. 895 at that time is usually empty... Fort McHenry seems to get backed up very easily.

Matt
97 does connect into 695E less than a mile or so from the exit ramp to 895N

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hi,

Thanks for the tip! Fort McHenry was never an option for me, coming from 301. Looking at my TripMaker map, 895 is precisely the route that's prescribed. On a different scale, I-97 appeared to connect to I-95. Now I see that I-97 terminates at I-895. Then I-895 connects to I-95. So THAT'S my route.

Anyone have thoughts on prescribing FRS and CB channels before the 3rd?

Thanks Again,

Scott

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
Two quick comments:

Drive by way of Cinti before you take I-95 straight up from DC on Labor Day weekend. That is my policy on any day of the week, any weekend. Just plain bad.

And somebody help get Stealth's car really dirty so he can't get it clean for the show n' shine! That and six weeks of Hamsterdiesel's Zaino treatment is the only hope I have!

Have a safe trip all, and as a wise man once said, "Keep it out of the ditch!"

Chris

TDIinRI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GOLF silver
Well, you DC area folks are pretty much STUCK with I-95 up untill the George Washington Bridge. However, as a native New Yorker now living in New England, I'll divulge my route of choice. Once over the GWB, get off asap and onto the Henry Hudson Pkwy which is Route 9a. I forget the signage for this. I think you have to get off at 178th and follow signs. I'll have to double check, as what the signs say depends on whether you are on the upper or lower level of the GWB. It is WELL worth the effort to get onto the Henry Hudson however!! (South of GWB, Henry Hudson is West Side Hwy) By doing this, you are avoiding the Cross-Bronx Expressway which is a b*tch and a half.(that is being kind; I HATE THAT ROAD) You will also avoid the construction on i-95 in NY at about exits 7-10. Take the Henry Hudson Pkwy and continue on it. It will turn into the Saw Mill Pkwy which you will follow to exit 4, Cross County Pkwy. Take Cross County and stay toward the left. You will merge with the Hutchinson Pkwy North. Follow the "Hutch" and stay straight to continue onto the Merrit Pkwy. This is well signed, do not follow the signage for i-684 or i-287. While yes, the Merrit can be brutal traffic wise a times, it is a VERY beautiful drive and MUCH better (traffic and otherwise) than i-95 through SW CT, which is just plain sucks IMO. I might add the they are doing lots of construction through Bridgeport, Norwalk and a bunch of other areas. The lanes through Bridgeport are especially narrow and cause slowdowns. The other nice thing about the Merrit is NO TRUCKS!!, which is true of ALL parkways in the area. CAVEAT:If your vehicle has commercial plates DO NOT TAKE THIS ROUTE!!! Stay on the Merrit Pkwy until exit 54, which is right after a new bridge they just built to hook back up with i-95, then stay on 95 thru to 93 in Mass. An alternate if you want to avoid 95 entirely after the GWB, is to stay on the Merrit to exit 68 NE and merge onto i-91 North, follw that to i-84 east, then follow that to the Mass Pike East(i-90). There are several ways to get to the fest from the MA pike. Taking the MA pike may or may not be quicker, usually works out to the same, but will cost ya more in tolls. A few usefull TIPS

AM traffic stations are AWESOME for avoiding tie-ups in the NY Metro. Start listening in central to northern NJ
880 AM: Traffic every 10 min on the 8s
1010 AM: Traffic every 10 min on the 1s
1130 AM: Traffic every 10 min on the 5s

Boston
1030AM, not sure when they do the traffic reports but they are frequent.

Also, taking i-295 to avoid driving thru Providence usually isn't a time saver as it adds more miles to the trip. Also, they are doing construction in a few parts. Traffic on that weekend should also be going in the opposite direction toward the south county beaches........

Hope this helps

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
DOH!

And somebody help get Stealth's car really dirty so he can't get it clean for the show n' shine!
SOMEONE should think twice before driving behind me during the Road Rally... soot-soot!

Scott

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Did y'all ever decide if you are using the FRS radios, and the channel/subchannel?

Don't know if I'll catch up with you, but I might.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hi,

Did y'all ever decide if you are using the FRS radios, and the channel/subchannel?
I don't guess so. I guess it just takes someone to cough up a comms plan.
So, I'll just suggest FRS Ch 7 sub-channel 7 since I have it programmed into my main radio already (your handhelds don't require programming... so don't sweat that if you've never used an FRS radio before). The Motorola, Cobra, and Midland radios all share common sub-channels. So we should be compatible. But if JUST ONE operator is using a radio without sub-channel features, s/he won't be able to talk to us (but can listen). The benefit of the sub-channels, especially on a busy weekend like Labor Day, is that we can monitor a busy channel, but have our radios remain quiet until someone on our sub-channel chimes in. I'll also bring along my scanner in case someone tries to call on another frequency or something.

As for CB, Ch 19 is usually a hot spot for "smokey reports" and finding out what's happening on the road. But the "noise" level is pretty high. Perhaps running on CB Ch 7 to match our FRS radios will help keep things simple. I'll tell you CB guys right now that my antenna is not optimized for CB. I get out about 1/4-mile and that's it. So don't expect long talks on that band. On FRS, I can reach out quite a ways. My external antenna will probably pick up weak signals from your handhelds as well. So CB is really a band that I tune in when I'm in a traffic jam and wanna know "***?"

Counting Down...

Scott

jettafock

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI auto, platinum gray, ESP
Well I just picked me up an EZPass, so I can stay with the pack. I can't believe that the fest is only 4 days away now.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
EZPass rules! I can't believe more people haven't been able to figure that out.

NewJettaGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat Sedan
I just never thought about getting one as I don't have any tolls in my daily commute...

But after reading more about it and finding out that the $$$$ never expire, I figured what the hey I can use it when I drive to Upstate NY to visit my wife's family just west of Albany...

Keeping up with the caravan is an added bonus...

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hi,

Hopefully, the caravan will slow to the speed limit around toll booths so the cash-only guys don't have to do too much stunt driving to catch up.

Lineman

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less... own a RAM 1500 Diesel now
I highly recommend TDIinRI's route.

I-95N (depending on NJ/NY traffic)
GWB
HenryHudson North (one of the first exits off the GWB)
Saw Mill North
Cross County East
Hutchinson North
Merritt North
WilburCross North
I-91 North
exit 29 / Route 15 North
I-84 East
I-90 East
I-95 S / 128 South
stay on 128 South / 93 North
Welcome to Braintree.

For Boston specific traffic, dial 617-374-1234. or *1 once you are in the Boston area.

TDIinRI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GOLF silver
NOT having EZ-Pass can be quite a b!tch especially on a holiday weekend. You shouldn't encounter too much of a wait at the booths on the MassPike if paying cash. On the NJ Tpke and esp GWB, WATCH OUT!! Paying cash will take twice to three times as long. At most bridges in the NY area, EZ Pass is in the middle whereas cash is at the outer ends. Those lines are ALWAYS long!! Also, DO NOT attempt to go thru EZ-Pass if you don't have a tag. BTW, you can pick-up an EZ-Pass in person at your closest EZ-Pass full service centre. I highly recommend this!!

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus
Hi,

Hopefully, the caravan will slow to the speed limit around toll booths so the cash-only guys don't have to do too much stunt driving to catch up.
That's when your Auto-X experiance counts, Eh?!

Sigh, My fiancee has to work Friday Morning, SO I am bowing out of the Caravan. I will know later today about my situation.