Caravan Leaving From Baltimore Friday 8:30AM

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus
I am belaying my own repsonse
I am back on the caravan. HeeHee

QUESTION: I got a coffin ( ski and stuff) style roof carrier. I am thinking of taking it along to store my stuff up there. Anyone have the coffin style carrier and problems with EZ-PAss? I am thinking of off setting the carrier to the PAssenger side. and have the bikes on the driver's side

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Alright!

Someone just told me that what used to be 10-lanes with three Easy Pass lanes and seven human "teller" lanes is now eight Easy Pass lanes and two human lanes. His estimation is that, without Easy Pass, I could be delayed for HOURS not minutes... especially on a holiday weekend. Is there much truth to this? If so, I may actually spend less time in traffic by hitting 287 around NY, then taking 87N to 84E. It adds 60-miles to the trip. But it almost seems better than sitting in traffic with other irritated drivers.

I used to take 287 (Palasades Parkway) to the TZ bridge. GW really sucked the last time I drove that. Can't be much better on a holiday weekend.

It seems Easy Pass IS the way to go, which is why it's being made so painful to do without it. But it doesn't seem worthwhile for some who RARELY drives on a toll road.

Opinions?

Scott

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hi,

On second thought, staying on 287 until the TZ turnoff results in fewer miles on a toll road than taking 87 further up. I'm not cheap. I just hate waiting in traffic just to pay to drive on roads that should be free.

Perhaps I'll deviate from the caravan, other non-EZP drivers are welcome to follow, and see who winds up where. I suspect EZP drivers will wind up ahead of me. The real test is whether I'll keep up with other non-EZP drivers.

Take Care,

Scott

JettaJake

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 GLS 5spd
"opinions?"

Lemme take a cpl more whacks at this dead horse....I've made a couple dozen CT to DC round trips over the past 10 yrs or so, some on holiday weekends -- twice I had a navigator who insisted upon using the TZ and whatever hghwy that is (287?)....never, ever again.

One: Unless GWB takes over an hour, TZ saves no time. I can only think of one time where the GWB has taken anywhere close to an hour.

Two: you're just as likely to run into a (huh? ***?! no apparent reason) traffic jam somewhere in the middle of the Jersey Pike as at the GWB

Three: the Hutch & Merritt are really fun roads w/ no trucks....also most direct route. ^_^

The only reason I can think of to get behind the TZ is that a caravan might find that route easier to hold all the troops together. Then again, if you'll have those radios, that shouldn't be a real issue.

What I'm still wanting to know is the exact hour the main group will be passing thru Hartford/East Hartford on I-84.....I plan to be waiting in the breakdown lane just past Exit 58 (Roberts St/E Hartford) and to join the convoy as it passes.

Someone in the caravan wanna volunteer a cell number I can call to check your progress on Friday....my guess is you'll be thru here around 2-ish.....

Thomas

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus
CELL IS 610-453-9337

porbably good to have. I am your next door neighbor at the campgrounds

jettafock

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI auto, platinum gray, ESP
Leo, do you plan on going to the fest first and then heading to the camp site after? Dan

jettafock

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI auto, platinum gray, ESP
At this time in the morning which way is better to get to the meet up point? Should I take I-95N from the bottom of 695 or should I take 695 on the west side around and catch up with 95 at the north part of 695? Also, how long show it take to get there from Catonsville?
Dan

NewJettaGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat Sedan
Dan,

According to Yahoo Maps:
Distance: 37 miles Approximate Travel Time: 50 mins
Take 695E to 95N.

I will coming through DC, up the BW Parkway, then through the 895 Harbour Tunnel to 95N. Leaving home around 5:30-5:45 and hope to be at the rest stop around 7:30-7:45.

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus
let's nail down this route.
I will try to hook up with you around this Service Area on the NJ turnpike. around 10-10:30am

Woodrow Wilson Service Area

Located between Interchanges 7 and 7A northbound (6N)
Milepost 58.7
Hamilton Township, Mercer County

JettaJake

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 GLS 5spd
Thomas,

I don't think the caravan will be going across I-84.

L
Lito, you sure? what up? If you are in NYC and you want to go to Boston, Hartford & I-84 are right along the way unless you're harboring a peculiar masochistic desire to traverse I-95 thru CT and RI....I will be laying in wait just East of Exit 58 on I-84.

Leo -- thx for the cell #....I'll ring you sometime around noon-thirty tomorrow (!!) to check progress of the TDI train.

ROAD TRIP!!

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus
can someone call me, when you guys arrive/leave the MAryland house on 95?

Thank You.

Gero

NYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI AUTOMATIC trans. GLS w/PLX package silver/black cloth
We'll be on I-84, Taconic pkwy to Sturbridge, late morning to early afternoon - aiming to arrive in time to wander down to the Bentley open house. Silver Golf - Montreal II wheels - dirty - doing 60-120mph depending on traffic conditions (whats the limit through Hartford again?
) cell # 5184698214

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Yes,

we'll eat somewhere. Leo, I'll call you. Please do not be late!! We leave at 8:30am from Maryland House.

I'm happy to report we WILL be taking the Tapanzee to I-684, to I-84 onto Boston.

Thomas, I'm Pm-ing you my cell number.

See you all tomorrow!!

Lito