Car wont start!!!

iceman321

TDI
This morning tried to start my car and the car would NOT turn over. When ever I try to turn the engine on - the car makes a very fast clicking sound. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I agree. Battery dead.

Before you hook it up to recharge, make sure that the water level in the cells is right. Top up where necessary. Also clean the battery terminals and use di-electic grease (lightly) to protect them and better the contact.

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
the connections on my 4-year old Beetle were like new when I changed the battery a little while ago. It still has its battery cover.

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
[ QUOTE ]
NOT di-electric grease. This insulates against the flow of current. Some vaseline or Ox-Gard.

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/wink.gif I stand corrected..meant that white, vaseline-like stuff..and I did not know that Vaseline works there, too!

iceman321

TDI
Ok - so good news and BAD news -

good news is - i charged the battery with one of those battery charger thingys for 5 minutes - car started -

bad news is - 1) i dont know where to put water in my battery? 2) the battery is holding a charge BUT when i turn the key and wait for the glow plugs to warm the battery light stays on - but when i turn the key and start the engine the battery light turns off -

so in conclusion
IS my battery gonna go soon -??
Will it be able to be charged again ??
It cant be an alternator problem - so why is the battery not charging all the way?

THANKS for all the help again guys - sorry it took me so long - christmas and work got me -

PLEASE keep up the good work guys

iceman321

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver (Sold). 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Tiptronic (daughter's)
It's been a while since I had the OEM battery. Find the little tabs to put in some distilled water, then leave in on a trickle charge. Maybe she ain't dead yet.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
You may have to scrape some paper logo off the top of the battery to find the caps but they are there. Once you find the first one the rest are easy. This is the 4th winter on my 01 and believe it will be good for one more, Been driving Wvs for 20 years and batterys seem to last me well, but i do take care of them.

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
[ QUOTE ]
Ok - so good news and BAD news -

good news is - i charged the battery with one of those battery charger thingys for 5 minutes - car started -

bad news is - 1) i dont know where to put water in my battery? 2) the battery is holding a charge BUT when i turn the key and wait for the glow plugs to warm the battery light stays on - but when i turn the key and start the engine the battery light turns off -

so in conclusion
IS my battery gonna go soon -??
Will it be able to be charged again ??
It cant be an alternator problem - so why is the battery not charging all the way?

THANKS for all the help again guys - sorry it took me so long - christmas and work got me -

PLEASE keep up the good work guys

iceman321

[/ QUOTE ]

If the battery is at the point where the starter does not stay engaged (rapid "clicking" sounds), it needs a LOT more time on the charger than 5 minutes. It is actually a good sign if 5 mins on the charger revived it enough to turn the engine over.

You might have to scrape the label off the top of the battery to see the tabs that give you access to the battery cells.

Top off first, ...hook up charger over night.

Battery prefers a slower charge (at lower Amps) over a high-Amp, short time charge.

I would also have the battery tested, once fully charged. This checks out how much the voltage the battery delivers drops down under load. Voltage too low - no start.

iceman321

TDI
OK - battery failed again recharged for 3 minutes - no biggie - BUT I still dont know where the cells are -

The label you guys are talking about - is that the one with the + and - on it or is it the one below the terminal stickers (+ and - sticker)

Also the battery everyone is talking about is the Omega - i think - where do you find it - is it easy to replace - (is there a DIY) and i read a forum about a box that keeps all your settings when you remove the battery - can you tell me where to get the box.

Thanks again - if there is anything else you can help with I would be very appreciative.

And I want to thank all of you for your help - VERY APPRECIATIVE - I owe you all beer /images/graemlins/eek.gif /images/graemlins/eek.gif /images/graemlins/eek.gif /images/graemlins/eek.gif /images/graemlins/eek.gif /images/graemlins/eek.gif /images/graemlins/eek.gif /images/graemlins/eek.gif /images/graemlins/eek.gif

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
a 2001?

Remove the battery cover.

Remove the plastic 'thing' that holds those big fuses in place. There is a 'tab' you push on each side.

There is black tape covering the caps. Peel it off. I think it's two long pieces or just one. I can't remember.

You can unscrew the caps with a quarter. You may need a flashlight to look down into the cell.

iceman321

TDI
yes it is a 2001

I can get to the battery itself - I am just unsure which piece of tape to remove - I think you gave it away with the quarter.

There are two pieces of tape of each side - of the battery - one that is right below the terminals that looks like this
+ 0 0 0 0 - the 0s have + in them -- Are those the cells for the water???? I am really sorry guys - I can tear apart computers - but its cars that are my weakness.

Once again thanks for the help

/images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
You got it the ones with the notches in them are what you want. If the Battery will charge take it somewhere for a load test and check out. find out for sure weather it is still good. Some people don't like OEM batteries but in 5 VWs i never had a problem.

gern_blanston

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, '03, Silver
2 amps for the overnight trickle charge. Something's screwy, though. If the battery actually won't turn the car over, and then after 5 minutes on the charger it will turn the car over, you've either got a bad battery, or, more likely, a connection problem. Did you check the terminals for good contact with the battery cables? Clean 'em off if they're the least bit schumtzy (use Diet Pepsi or Club Soda and a little steel wool to polish 'em), then put it on the charger overnight and see if the problem remains.
The battery light will go off once the engine's started because it's basically a voltage sensor. Your battery normally puts out 11-13 volts, depending on how healthy it is and how long since it's been charged. The alternator puts out around 14 volts, and the light's calibrated to turn off above 13.8 or so, so anything from whatever the minimum to light the light up to 13.8 gives you the light.

iceman321

TDI
ok its been charging at 2 amps for about an hour - I noticed though if i left my cell phone charger in the cigarette lighter overnight - the battery would drain - so I took out the cell phone charger - its been acting wierd -

I dont think its a connection problem - due to the battery working fine every other time - it hasnt had any problems for the past 2.5 years - so WHO KNOWS - but I am getting the battery checked out tomorrow at the shop where my car is worked on all the time...

Thanks for all the help I will keep you all posted -

Mike

iceman321

TDI
ok - update - filled up the battery with water(bottled - eek) and then charged the battery overnight on the 2 amp level - Then took the charger off and the battery light still came on but once again when I started the car the battery light went away - /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

1) so do I need a new battery?
2) do i need to drive the car more to charge the battery - ( drove for about an hour to work)
3) is the optima red top 35/75 the correct battery for a 2001 jetta TDI
4) where is the best place to pick up one

THANKS again guys -

Dutch

Veteran Member
TDI
110kW 2.0 TDI Golf model 7
I'm puzzled: if the engine is not started yet, the battery light should come on, right? After all, it is not charging when the engine is not running. When the engine is started and the battery light is off than, that's just how it is supposed to be (?)
So what iceman321 is seeing is just normal behaviour, right?

When you've been driving for an hour, the battery should be charged completely. Leave the cell phone charger disconnected when not driving and make sure nothing else stays on (interior lights). Only if the problem stays and you have checked for bleeders, I would consider a new battery.
You could check the current drawn from the battery when the engine is switched off, lights are off etc. with a current meter in your battery connection. The current drawn should be very low. If not, the battery is probably okay, but something is simply discharging your battery.