Car wont start

Just a guy

TDI
2001 golf
i have a 2000 vw golf with the 1.9 alh motor in it. i recently swapped the motor out of a 2000 jetta into my golf and it will not start. Everything seems to be fine i timed the engine twice and bled the fuel lines. The glowplug light wont come on nor will the glow plugs run. The car does fire when using a little bit of starting fluid so im guessing a fuel issue but can someone please help?

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
No glowplug light means the ECU is not getting power... so probably worth starting there: ECU fuse, wiring, etc.

Even better, scanning for codes would give you some helpful clues... including confirming the ECU status.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
If you bled the fuel system and you have good spray with the injector nuts loose, it's likely not fuel.
The oft mentioned relay 109 provides power to the ECU. But I would guess something, even the small wire to the 109, is not connected properly.

Jim G

TDI
03 Jetta Wagon
No glowplug light means the ECU is not getting power... so probably worth starting there: ECU fuse, wiring, etc.
Sorry to hijack the thread but I have an issue with my GP light. I just got my 03' Jetta TDI and the GP light has never come on, The car starts and runs fine. Could the GP light in the insturment cluster not coming on be due to a bad relay? I don't have a check engine light staying on after the car is started. I live in snow country near Lake Tahoe and winter is coming soon and I'm guessing I'll need glow plugs in order to start the car on those 15 degree mornings.