car wont start.....

fluidpower

TDI
06 PD
whats up guys, I just had a prolem with the lift pump in my 06 pd and i fixed that. A little previous info... the car would idle but would hardly run and it seemed to use filters like crazy. Everyone recommended checking the lift pump, I did and come to find the screen was clogged to hell. Cleaned it, threw it back in and off I went. However now I was driving, maybe 50 miles since looking at the pump and i felt some hesitation in boost and up hills. I got to where i was going, getting ready to go back home and the car died and will not start. I had to have my brother come with a dolly and tow me home.

I tore the lift pump out again to double check its working correctly and it is. A couple guys also said sometimes the tandem pump goes bad but its not likely. I guess that would be my next place to look right? The fuel filter is clean white and the lift pump works, so tandem right? Where is that located? Is there any other opinons to what the problem could be?

thanks

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Tandem pump

I doubt that your tandem pump is bad. How come your lift pump got clogged? Have you been running home made bio, or got a bad batch of diesel? Most likely you have an air leak or your lift pump is giving up. The tandem pump is on the opposite end of the block from the timing belt. Apparently you don't have a Bentley and it would be better off left to the experts. Tandem pumps do not fail regularly!

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
When you say your lift pump is working, what do you mean? How do you know?

Given your last problem, I would check out the lift pump a bit more thoroughly.

How much flow does it put out? It should put out 3 liters per minute. check it by taking the central line off of the fuel pump, going to the engine, off and directing it into a fuel container. Verify that you get 3 liters per minute or more.

It was not clear in your last post if you cleaned the canister screen or if you cleaned the half moon shaped fine wire mesh screnn on the bottom of the fuel pump, which is inside the canister.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=225672

It was not clear if you cleaned your fuel tank, either.

Try the flow test, if it is not good, then go back to your lift pump/fuel tank issue. Pump out your fuel tank, remove the lift pump and disassemble it and clean it. Then wipe down your fuel tank with lint free shop towels. Clean the tank as thoroughly as you can, reach way back off to the sides.

If your lift pump is working, I have just wasted a lot of typing time.

Dan

Last edited:

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
Does the 06 have the T-fitting on the fuel filter? Is there any leaking around the fuel filter and did you change the T-fittings/0-Rings? Could just be air in the line.

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
DanG144 said:
If the lift pump is working, and the fuel filter is clean, there is no concern with air in the fuel lines - even the return line - with these cars.

Dan
So they are a lot different than the 1999.5-2003?

fluidpower

TDI
06 PD
I am not sure if the lift pump will flow 3 liters a minute, I will test that today. The metal screen on the bottom of the lift pump is what was clogged. I have no idea what it was clogged with.

How would there be air in the system when I drove the car around or over 50 miles, then it decided to shut off?

fluidpower

TDI
06 PD
***update..

Well I pulled out the lift pump again to test the rate of flow. It flowed a little more than 3 liters in a minute so that checked out. I threw the pump back in and made sure i had the same flow coming to the fuel filter housing. I did. I took the lines off the fuel rail that goes across the head to make sure the housing didnt have any restrictions. I come to find it has 1/3 the flow coming out of the pressure line. I then hooked the lines staright to the metal rail that goes across the head (competly bypassed the fuel filter) and the engine started. I took the filter cap off or w/e its called and I think its called a popper valve, it failed and prevented the fuel from filling up the bowl. So off to the dealer on monday!

thanks guys

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
I don't have a 2006 si I'm not sure what this popper valve thing is. Can we get some more information on this? I would like to add it to my no start thread.

joetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2-2002 Jettas W/Auto
whitedog said:
I don't have a 2006 si I'm not sure what this popper valve thing is. Can we get some more information on this? I would like to add it to my no start thread.
I think some of the early 2006 had the old fuel filter setup. I think he is talking about the T-stat on the fuel filter, I think. Joe

fluidpower

TDI
06 PD
well i snapped a couple pics with my phone... so sorry if the quality sucks...

heres how I bypassed the filter... easy... and the car started right up.

heres the part that failed.. im not sure the technical name for it.

and heres the flip side of it... you can see that little white valve thingy... and can see the shaft in the middle of it... yeah thats because it broke and blocked the flow... that was the problem...

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
fluidpower said:
and heres the flip side of it... you can see that little white valve thingy... and can see the shaft in the middle of it... yeah thats because it broke and blocked the flow... that was the problem...

Cool. Thanks for that. Now, I just need a similar picture of one that hasn't failed.

I know that there are like three versions of the fuel filter, do you know which one you have?

fluidpower

TDI
06 PD
No, when i go to the dealer for filters i have to give my vin. Im going to buy one tomorrow, I will take a pic of the new one and compare... and will try to find out with filter version i have for you.

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
So you have to remove 5 screws to get into the fuel filter? And is the filter just a paper drop in type like the oil filter? Looks like they made it harder to change than the old style but cheaper. And then the Valve thing you need to replace.

AbandonAllHope

Cool. Thanks for that. Now, I just need a similar picture of one that hasn't failed.

I know that there are like three versions of the fuel filter, do you know which one you have?
Can someone tell me if i see the white valve in my fuel filter cap, like in the picture, means the cap/valve is defective?
Thanks!