Car won't start troubleshooting

TKW

TDI
2010 TDI Jetta Sportwagon
Car wont start troubleshooting.

I have a 2010 TDI Sportwagen that if I let it set overnight the next morning it is
difficult to start and when its cold its even more difficult to start. So I find this thread and as I start reading it comes to this sentence, If it's cold and you have a 2009-2012 Jetta CLICK HERE for information. So I click here for information and this is what I get,

TKW, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Please help. TKW

braydonbenko

TDI
2005 jetta wagon 1.9l tdi BEW
hey evryone, last week i wanted to do some tlc on the car, its a 2004 1.9L tdi BEW, So i pulled the injectors out and i swapped out theijector nozzles and than put the injectors back into my car, i than reset the injectors, but the car would not start and i get good fuel pressure back on the return line... however the car would run on starting fluid but would never run on its own.... so i than oulled the injectors back out and put the old nozzles back on, and repeated the steps.. but same thing happened, it will only run on starting fluid but not by itself..
Did i screw up the injectors by changin nozzles?? or what do you guys believe the issue could be??

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Dont know for sure, but I think you would have to really screw up to get all four injectors to not work at all. My bet is electrical so check the wiring.

Mark G

TDI
1999 Beetle TDI
I'm not sure about your year, but on mine I had to loosen all the fuel lines from the injectors and turn the car over until all the air was purged and diesel was coming out. Once I did that it fired up.

braydonbenko

TDI
I'm not sure about your year, but on mine I had to loosen all the fuel lines from the injectors and turn the car over until all the air was purged and diesel was coming out. Once I did that it fired up.
the BEW has no injector lines and no way to bleed the system... ubless tehre is a way but i have no clue

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
i tried that aswell.....
Injector lash before or after it didn't start?

The harness that lives in the cylinder head can get brittle. Thou I'm sure there are a few other places that could also be a problem with age/miles.

I'm curious how you did the nozzles. When I had my BEW Golf I played with the idea, but decided against doing it myself as they are much more involved to change than the ALH. Possibly something got FUBAR inside the injectors?

Jason

braydonbenko

TDI
Injector lash before or after it didn't start?

The harness that lives in the cylinder head can get brittle. Thou I'm sure there are a few other places that could also be a problem with age/miles.

I'm curious how you did the nozzles. When I had my BEW Golf I played with the idea, but decided against doing it myself as they are much more involved to change than the ALH. Possibly something got FUBAR inside the injectors?

Jason
i did the lash after it did not start.... also i just called a tdi performance place out of calgary, and the guy said that the injectors should not be the problem and that he believes its an electrical issue...
and to do those nozzzles is actually super easy... u take the o rings off and than un due the cone of the injector and pop the nozzle out from the cone and slide the new one in..

but i am definitly going to look at that harness. what all can i do to test tthe injector harness? and where else should i be looking aswell?

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
i did the lash after it did not start.... also i just called a tdi performance place out of calgary, and the guy said that the injectors should not be the problem and that he believes its an electrical issue...
and to do those nozzzles is actually super easy... u take the o rings off and than un due the cone of the injector and pop the nozzle out from the cone and slide the new one in..

but i am definitly going to look at that harness. what all can i do to test tthe injector harness? and where else should i be looking aswell?
Problem is you can destroy an injector by not having the lash set correctly. The lash adjustment sets the plunge depth of the injector. If you have it "too tight" then the rocket pushes down too far on the injector cause internal parts to smash together and break.

So if you set the lash AFTER the car didn't start, it's possible you already did the damage.

Hope this is not the porblem, but it sounds like a good possibility.

Jason

Zeitgeist

Veteran Member
TDI
past: '96 Passat tdi
I've been helping my neighbor with a turns over but no-start problem on his '06 PD Jetta. The car had been parked backwards down his steep driveway for a while when it just wouldn't start. I ran the codes with an OBD eleven dongle, but got nothing from the engine module. I cracked the bleed screw on top of the fuel filter and cranked, but got only a little fuel out. I suspected the lift pump of being weak. I then found a YT vid where the guy mentioned that a PD he was diagnosing would only start if you plugged the exhaust tips with rags. I tried this, and lo and behold I got it to stutter, fire and run.

I can't for the life of me figure out why this technique works. I have a new lift pump and filter on order, but in the meantime, why/how does this work?